the moving of the SPA labels

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Peeling Labels has never been the method on the preload.

All my pre-loaders use crayons including the 20plus year pre-loaders and put the sequence number on the package.

Instead of spending a lot of time pissing and moaning about it put your energy into doing it right.

Some one mentioned put just 2 numbers, don't bother that's use less.

WIFM pre-loader - when you put the 4 digit sequence/HIN number on the package you place it on the correct shelf. Next package is loaded in sequential order etc., less time looking to see where it goes. Load by the PAL do not make a custom load.

WIFM - driver - checks EDD finds the package based on the sequence/HIN number. Spends less time searching and more time delivering.

Oh you asked, can you get in trouble for not doing it. Absolutely

Useless to who ?????

A 58 ON A BOX MEANS JUST AS MUCH TO ME AS 5827 OR 5875
If 3 boxes on the 5000 shelf say 50,55,59, I'm pretty sure most preloaders know where 5827 should be

In the real world, packages are NEVER in sequential order EVER
Between bags, small boxes, envelopes, every nook and crannie is filled on the shelf.
This is an IE dream scenario

I understand the WAD philosophy from a management perspective, but preloaders also work for the driver, if not more

upschuck

Useless to who ?????

A 58 ON A BOX MEANS JUST AS MUCH TO ME AS 5827 OR 5875
If 3 boxes on the 5000 shelf say 50,55,59, I'm pretty sure most preloaders know where 5827 should be

In the real world, packages are NEVER in sequential order EVER
Between bags, small boxes, envelopes, every nook and crannie is filled on the shelf.
This is an IE dream scenario

I understand the WAD philosophy from a management perspective, but preloaders also work for the driver, if not more

Heff,
Excuse Dragon...he lives in a numbers world, not the real one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pulling PAL labels, writing two, four or 18 numbers on the package----they are all a waste of time. Load according to PAL and we will find them.

Custom loading does save time but requires coordination between the driver and loader. Custom loading should be avoided when a cover driver will be running the route.

This driver finds the package(s) by their load location and package count in EDD.

The Preload Assist Label is for the loader, not the driver. I rarely if ever look at the PAL.

Preloaders do not work for the driver but rather works with him.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I agree with the preloader works with a driver, not for.
Bad wording on my part

​But if a preload is mandated to write the sequence on the box, you would agree a 58 is just as good as a 5827 I assume.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They can write whatever they want----it won't change the way I do my job----58 is just as good as 5827.
I don't usually agree with Dave but he's right. Especially for old school drivers (in my experience) PAL numbers n labels mean nothing to them. I could write a pal # or "Screw you" on the side of the box. As long as it wasn't covering the main label, they probably wouldn't even notice...lol.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
WAD and never carry/walk/write simultaneously. Pull, carry, load, write. Take your time and be safe. if your whole center approaches the job this way, it'll be chaos and those silly crayons as well as demands from upper-mgmt will go away.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
I write the PAL # on the side of my boxes that I load on the shelf (we also use ink stamper doo-hickies). If I put a box on the floor, I write it big enough where most drivers can see from the bulkhead door. If I put a long box on the floor, I write the # on the front facing the driver, the top and the rear. My job is to make MY drivers load/day the best it can be. Load it on the right shelf and as close to sequential order as possible, drivers are happy. Happy drivers tip very well come Xmas.

FilingBluesFL

Since we started using the SPA labels at my center, we (as preloaders) have had to remove the labels and place them on the package where the driver can see them. This works for me and my drivers, but now, within the last month, our "stupidvisor" has informed us we now have to write the sequence number from the label on the box....don't move the label anymore.....just write on the box. Do all the preloaders/package handlers at all the centers have to do this? Our supervisor told us that "the higher up" made this change. Who's that? and how do "they" know my writing is legible? How do "they" know this is the best way? My main question is, can I get in trouble or written up if I continue to move my labels and do not write the sequence number on the package? I know I should probably do what my supervisor says, but its too hard to change a habit you've been doing for years just like that, and besides the spa label is so much easier to read. Plus, by having the label where the driver can see it, its easier to put the package in order and its easier to spot a package that doesn't belong (I can catch a misload before I have one). I know this is a minor issue, but I'm not the only preloader who feels this way. Any advice or comment will be appreciated Thanks.

Oh, you must be new here.

Welcome to UPS and their arbitrary decisions.

maybaby

bama brown
I am new to the site, but have been with UPS for 17 years. When we first had this PAL system put in, we originally had to write the numbers on the boxes, but after awhile "they" made us move the label. Now, we have to go back to writing the number. All I'm saying is that its aggravating when you get used to doing something a certain way for so long and then management comes along and changes things. They seem to think that their way is always the best way.....well, sometimes, its not. They don't load the car, I do. I should be able to load that package car the best way that works for me and my driver. I am a good loader, and if I take an extra second or two to move a label, write a number, or put a box on the shelf a certain way so that my driver has a good day on his route with no issues, then so be it. I care about my driver's day. When I load, I try to think like a driver. I like my job....to me, its like putting together a puzzle and its a good thing I like puzzles because I have four and sometimes five to put together everyday. I'm not by any means perfect, but I do the best I can and in the end, I will do what I have to. Thanks to everyone for your comments.....even you, DRAG ON

Random_Facts

They used to make us write on the PAL labels, and all that nonsense. They hate custom loading and want you to follow the PAL labels. Now the PAL labels would work greatly if management actually did their job. Changing stops on a daily basis, it's no wonder some drivers are getting more white hair. If it's their first stop, it shouldn't be going on the 2000 shelf. But on a RDR side. (bulk stops that is). To make it easier for my driver (Who literally gets all the business in this one area). I do the custom loading. Been loading the same guy for 7 years. Everyday, all the boxes go in the SAME spot. If the driver loves it, then management can kiss it. Lol. On a side note, if they truly make you 'circle', 'write the seq on pal labels and such'. Work slower, and don't rush it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. SPA labels are much easier to read than crayon scribbles.

2. SPA labels allow the driver to spot and deal with misloads a lot faster since the first 3 digits will not match those of the surrounding packages.

3. The company could virtually eliminate misloads if the SPA labels were color-coded by route. The eyes see differences in color a lot easier than monochromatic digits on a label. Even spraying a colored blot onto each label would allow the different routes in a given preload assignment to be loaded "by color".

I can always tell when some sort of audit is happening or some corporate bigwig is in town because I will have a textbook-perfect load with PAL labels peeled off and stuck neatly to the side of each package. Once the audit is over or the bigwig is gone, we then revert to standard form and the truck looks like they stood it up on its nose and loaded it from the top with a shovel. Gotta look good on that PPH report!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
1. SPA labels are much easier to read than crayon scribbles.

2. SPA labels allow the driver to spot and deal with misloads a lot faster since the first 3 digits will not match those of the surrounding packages.

3. The company could virtually eliminate misloads if the SPA labels were color-coded by route. The eyes see differences in color a lot easier than monochromatic digits on a label. Even spraying a colored blot onto each label would allow the different routes in a given preload assignment to be loaded "by color".

I can always tell when some sort of audit is happening or some corporate bigwig is in town because I will have a textbook-perfect load with PAL labels peeled off and stuck neatly to the side of each package. Once the audit is over or the bigwig is gone, we then revert to standard form and the truck looks like they stood it up on its nose and loaded it from the top with a shovel. Gotta look good on that PPH report!
Color-coded spa labels is actually a very good idea, and easier on the eyes. I keep all my pph reports and preload "daily report cards" in the bathroom....just in case I run out of charmin...lol.