The Naive Preloader!

brett636

We have an unloader who is like this. The guy almost always works through his break, and is even bold enough to state that those of us who don't are lazy. There is little that can be done to get to these people, they will do and say what they wish and we all know management is going to do nothing about it because that attitude benefits them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Atlantic region but I am speaking of my center specifically. We run a preload in the morning and a reload in the evenings. Our part timers are lucky to get 3 1/2 hours per day, so not much time to even get a break period

I would be surprised if the Atlantic region did not have a 10 minute break period in their supplement.

tourists24

I would be surprised if the Atlantic region did not have a 10 minute break period in their supplement.
Well its been years since I was a part timer, but we never had a break then and I can find no language in our supplement. Article 63 covers our part time workers. Article 51 does say that full time seniority emloyees receive a ten minute relief period but makes no mention of part time workers

22.34life

Well its been years since I was a part timer, but we never had a break then and I can find no language in our supplement. Article 63 covers our part time workers. Article 51 does say that full time seniority emloyees receive a ten minute relief period but makes no mention of part time workers
contract or not their are labor laws regarding breaks and lunchs partime or fulltime.

dillweed

This sounds like MYOB time to me. The preloader was advised to take his/her break. Doesn't want to -- fine. Now, go back to things that really matter.

JonFrum

The problem with that is the contract specifically says a fair days work for a fair days pay, and nothing regarding numbers pph sporh etc. Therefore that point is null and void. (should be) By that train of thought, the steward would be then recognizing numbers and pph which is against everything negotiated in the contract.
You're stretching logic beyond the breaking point.

If you took over a job from someone who worked "off the clock" (during a paid break, an unpaid lunch, or before punching-in or after punching-out,) and you were being hauled in the office every day about your inability to do the job, I'm betting you would be citing the fact that Management is comparing apples to oranges. They are comparing you, who only works when you are suppose to, to that previous guy, who worked on the sly as well.

That previous guy was being dishonest. He just happened to be dishonest in UPS' favor. He was falsifying his time card regarding both money and hours worked even if he didn't realize it.

And if UPS is obligated to contribute to the pension and H&W funds based on paid hours like here in New England, then the funds are shorted $12.85 per week (based on fifty less minutes per week.)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You're stretching logic beyond the breaking point.

If you took over a job from someone who worked "off the clock" (during a paid break, an unpaid lunch, or before punching-in or after punching-out,) and you were being hauled in the office every day about your inability to do the job, I'm betting you would be citing the fact that Management is comparing apples to oranges. They are comparing you, who only works when you are suppose to, to that previous guy, who worked on the sly as well.

That previous guy was being dishonest. He just happened to be dishonest in UPS' favor. He was falsifying his time card regarding both money and hours worked even if he didn't realize it.

And if UPS is obligated to contribute to the pension and H&W funds based on paid hours like here in New England, then the funds are shorted $12.85 per week (based on fifty less minutes per week.)

No I wouldn't. I would simply say "I'm doing the best I can". It's not my concern what the previous employee did on or off the clock, and the contract doesn't support managements stance on pph, production ,etc.

On the road I've had this happen, a previous driver was running their breaks and lunches and cheating to maintain a 19 SPORH. I made no mention of this in the sit-downs while I only did 15 sporh.

midwestmess

I've threatened mgmt with filing grievances for drivers sorting their cars before start time. I do this not to piss drivers off but because mgmt is taking advantage of the situation and it helps their numbers at the end of the day if that driver runs the day faster. It all comes down to not giving these guys anything for free because they won't remember it when your sitting in their office signing your warning letter months down the road.

JonFrum

No I wouldn't. I would simply say "I'm doing the best I can". It's not my concern what the previous employee did on or off the clock, and the contract doesn't support managements stance on pph, production ,etc.

On the road I've had this happen, a previous driver was running their breaks and lunches and cheating to maintain a 19 SPORH. I made no mention of this in the sit-downs while I only did 15 sporh.

Just be careful. Article 37 does say, "employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest." The Union agreed to this!!!!

The Contract is just a collection of things Management and Labor agree on. It is silent on most things. Just because something isn't in the Contract doesn't mean UPS can't do it. Management has "Management Rights and Perogative." They have the right to run their company as they see fit within the Law. They don't have to get the Union's permission to do most things. An arbitrator may back Management if Management is demanding a reasonable level of production. That's why it's important to not let anyone artifically boost Management's production numbers.

JonFrum

Originally Posted by washington57
"If he works through break he should have 10 min added to his time after his shift. no?"

No--if he chooses to work through his break that is his problem.

What if he eventually chooses to take his break, and Management sees his production numbers fall? Should the Union defend him or tell him, "Sorry fella, you made your bed, now lie in it?"

QKRSTKR

Master agreement. Article 17 Paid for time. The employer will not allow employees to work before their start time without appropriate compensation. This covers drivers sorting their loads or loading their car before their start times. Greivance would be against management for allowing it, and greivant should be paid.

however in this case the preloader is still being compensated, since its a paid break. Now if he shows up early before his start time & starts pulling his cage (boxline) thats a no no. Strait belt can u start early? When I preloaded we pulled from a boxline.

In our suppl. All employees shall receive at least one 10 min. paid break. Doesnt say anything about how u have to spend it. If this steward can greive it, I'd like to know under what article?

evilleace

I don't care if you are stacked out to your eyeballs take your break if it is that bad then the sup will get you help after break. Never ever work during break you just make their numbers look better and make them think they can run it faster, and maybe with less people tomorrow.