The Perks.....

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Name some of the Perks that you have received from customers on your route. Outrageous discounts, Christmas gratuities, etc.

TheKid

Free boots, free lawn mower service, tons of food discounts, special attention at a certain football stadium, free eggs, free vegetables, (I have a very rural route), lots of stuff for the kids when they were little. I also agree with Indy in the previous post, the more money people have the less generous they are.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Outrageous discounts on shoes and insoles, Discounts on Car Parts from salvage yard, A plethora of route girlfriends, free/heavily discounted food and non-alcoholic beverages and lots of other things. One of the FEW perks of having an 85% commercial route.

browndevil

Free lunches at a school on my route. Free Gatorade and snacks at a golf course. Come to think of it, I haven't bought Gatorade in years :)

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I got a rock.........Just call me Charlie B

There for a while I had my own route. A brewery always made sure there was a cold root beer waiting for me. The holiday goodies never did make it home to share. Then UPS/IE decided they were going to satellite my route AND they thought that I would drive a 100 miles a day on my own dime to run it. It was a shock to them that I did not follow the work.

Been Number ONE vacation driver since so I do not get as many perks as I used to. Have to say that I miss them.

I have to live vicariously for now

outta hours

When I was in pkg I delivered to a very exclusive area. I would receive gifts all year long. At Christmas time I would avg between 4-5K in cash. The avg gift was around $100, but many were in the $500-$1000 range. Great people and a great place to deliver. It was nice to be appreciated. I always sent a thank you card no matter how big or small the gift was. I stayed on that route for 10 years.

I asked the new driver last peak if it was still that way and he said yes. As a matter of fact one customer gave him $500.He wrote a thank you note telling them it was much appreciated as he had to get new tires for his wife's car. About a week later he was mailed a check for an additional $500. The customer explained that the original money was meant to be enjoyed, not spent on necessities. Like I said great people.

DS

Fenderbender
When I was in pkg I delivered to a very exclusive area. I would receive gifts all year long. At Christmas time I would avg between 4-5K in cash. The avg gift was around $100, but many were in the $500-$1000 range. Great people and a great place to deliver. It was nice to be appreciated. I always sent a thank you card no matter how big or small the gift was. I stayed on that route for 10 years.

I asked the new driver last peak if it was still that way and he said yes. As a matter of fact one customer gave him $500.He wrote a thank you note telling them it was much appreciated as he had to get new tires for his wife's car. About a week later he was mailed a check for an additional $500. The customer explained that the original money was meant to be enjoyed, not spent on necessities. Like I said great people.

When I read this ,I thought,come on,you are full of :censored2:!
But,you have always been a straight up member,so I guess its possible.
Most of us live in the real world,where a $20 tip at Christmas is good enough to make you feel appreciated,
(I've had my share of rocks) Charlie
For $5k I`d come back at night all year and clean the pool ,out of appreciation:)

^ Was this in Pleasantville?

Or "Whoville"

outta hours

When I read this ,I thought,come on,you are full of :censored2:!
But,you have always been a straight up member,so I guess its possible.
Most of us live in the real world,where a $20 tip at Christmas is good enough to make you feel appreciated,
(I've had my share of rocks) Charlie
For $5k I`d come back at night all year and clean the pool ,out of appreciation:)

Or "Whoville"

No BS on my part DS. Straight up truth. It was the same way for the guy that had the route before me. I took it over when he retired. It is per capita one of the richest enclaves in the USA. It ranks in the top 10. The median income is over 300K. Big money, but super nice people.

PS When many of the residents were gone to spend their summers abroad,in the hamptons, or nantucket I did have full pool privileges. As the house staff remained to take care of the property all summer long. :wink2: