Whither

Scofflaw
We had a rowdy discussion re: subcontracting at the last union meeting. Word is, the IBT fears getting bad decisions in arbitration (the company is deadlocking these grieves at every step of the grievance procedure) and plans to address subcontracting during negotiations. I pointed out this is no answer at all. We already have clear enough language; the company is flagrantly violating it. Meanwhile they have been laying off Teamsters while dispatching their Coyotes, etc. They hired dozens of feeder drivers off-the-street in 2021, and turned eligible seniority employees away "for lack of trainers." This year there's been no feeder school here, only a "Q" list. The company keeps pressuring the local to agree to a call-board in feeders. Our sleeper-team drivers have reported that previously strong UPS yards have been swarming with subcontractors.

Our livelihoods and working conditions should not be decided by the whims of arbitrators. We must refuse to sign away our full rights to strike, walkout, engage in slowdowns, and the like. (See Article 8 of the National Master Agreement, Article 5 of the Central Supplement, etc.) What have we gotten in exchange for surrendering our power? A promise from the company to not lock us out? Subcontracting is already locking out our brothers and sisters, and in the long run it's a scheme to replace us all with cheaper, non-union labor.

Tough talk is cheap. A great contract is worthless if we can't do what it takes to enforce it. If the new leadership means what they say, then enough pusillanimous-footing around with a grievance procedure that we can't trust. The grievance procedure can be useful but we need a trump card.

One thing is certain: the company would never agree to removing the "no-strike" clauses that currently choke our contracts. To win our full rights to strike we would have to strike in 2023.

Karma...

yes its a right to strike...its also a right for companies not to settle.......its a question of total compensation and a matter of balance.........ive sold almost all my stock and hope the stock price goes down and I will buy back in.......so strike away......thank you teamsters........a strike will weaken the teamsters and make investors wealthy .....so make my day ....thanks

100%

yes its a right to strike...its also a right for companies not to settle.......its a question of total compensation and a matter of balance.........ive sold almost all my stock and hope the stock price goes down and I will buy back in.......so strike away......thank you teamsters........a strike will weaken the teamsters and make investors wealthy .....so make my day ....thanks
You left off one thing, “But UPS will settle”. That’s a fact.

100%

that's true........ups will settle if the contract is reasonable
Good bc there isn’t anything that’s been proposed that isn’t unreasonable. Especially when the company made more money than they had in all 3 previous contracts combined. Like I said, UPS will settle.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Good bc there isn’t anything that’s been proposed that isn’t unreasonable. Especially when the company made more money than they had in all 3 previous contracts combined. Like I said, UPS will settle.
I'm sure Atlanta is preparing cost analysis reports with different scenarios. How long would it take to gain back revenue vs the more expensive union settlements.

100%

I'm the same we have a lot of competition for the hard to get some of the customers back
So how many years and contracts have we given the company? Has anything gotten better? We’re still feeling shorted? If there is a strike, it will be bc management wants one. We aren’t giving concessions again. Atleast I hope not.

DMW

So how many years and contracts have we given the company? Has anything gotten better? We’re still feeling shorted? If there is a strike, it will be bc management wants one. We aren’t giving concessions again. Atleast I hope not.
I feel confident it will be agreed to before the end of July. UPS is a public company now. A sixteen day strike now would be a loss of over 4 billion in revenue. However booth sides need to remain competitive. A company can serve its customers, it’s employees and it’s stockholders at the same time. Jim Casey

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Question for you guys; if we were to strike at 12:01am August 1st, could we have a contract ratified same day and back to work the 2nd?

Reason I ask is I can see Carol having a stare down with Sean and pushing to see if he has enough of us behind him to authorize a strike, because it sure does not feel like that is a given. I'm a short timer here, only coming up on 3 years so I don't pretend to know a lot about all of this. Conversely, I don't have jaded eyes to the situation yet, so while I'm vested in the stakes, I'm also an outsider looking in for now.

Anyway what I'm trying to ask, is it viable that the company pushes to the striking point to see if we do/can and immediately throw a really good contract down first day of the strike? Can things happen fast enough that we'd be back to work within a day or two?

Question for you guys; if we were to strike at 12:01am August 1st, could we have a contract ratified same day and back to work the 2nd?
Reason I ask is I can see Carol having a stare down with Sean and pushing to see if he has enough of us behind him to authorize a strike, because it sure does not feel like that is a given. I'm a short timer here, only coming up on 3 years so I don't pretend to know a lot about all of this. Conversely, I don't have jaded eyes to the situation yet, so while I'm vested in the stakes, I'm also an outsider looking in for now.
Anyway what I'm trying to ask, is it viable that the company pushes to the striking point to see if we do/can and immediately throw a really good contract down first day of the strike? Can things happen fast enough that we'd be back to work within a day or two?
They could come to a handshake agreement on a contract until they have time to put it out for a vote

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
They could come to a handshake agreement on a contract until they have time to put it out for a vote
Thank you for the response! I'm just trying to put myself to the perspective of the company. It's what I'd do in their position, at least with the current climate where it sure doesn't feel like we're a unified base. Certainly UPS would be able to read that pulse too.

Thebrownblob

Thank you for the response! I'm just trying to put myself to the perspective of the company. It's what I'd do in their position, at least with the current climate where it sure doesn't feel like we're a unified base. Certainly UPS would be able to read that pulse too.
We had the same concerns in 1997, the union was broke. We were not even gonna get much strike pay. UPS, miss calculated the response from the members, ended up being very strong.