The RIP Thread

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
The folks who help unload their bulk stop every day down at the county jail are going to be hacked about not getting ups calendars this year.

rod

Retired 22 years
Thanks Doc, I will make sure to let my Doc AND the Hemotologist know that so they can change my prescription.
donating whole blood or a particular component. These guidelines are as follows:

Whole blood: This can be donated after every 56 days or 08 weeks. This is stored at 2oC to 6oC and is used for volume replacement in patients with blood loss during surgery or injury. It also increases the oxygen carrying capacity of blood in patients with severe anemia.

The frequency of possible blood donation depends on whether a person is donating whole blood or a particular component.

Platelets: Platelets can be donated every 7 days and up to 24 times in a year. These cells are the sticky cells of blood which form platelet plug to stop bleeding in case of injury. Platelets are selectively taken using a machine which separates these cells from rest of the blood. This procedure may take up to two hours. Normal daily activities can be resumed after this donation while taking care to avoid any strenuous activity. The donor is also instructed not to take aspirin 48 hours before donation as aspirin inhibits platelet function.

Plasma: Every 28 days and up to 13 times in a year, a healthy person can donate plasma. Plasma is separated from the donated blood or is collected through the machine. Plasma can also be collected along with platelet separation. Plasma collection requires about an hour. It is stored in frozen form and is called ‘Fresh frozen plasma’. Plasma is a rich source of clotting factors and is thawed to body temperature before transfusion. Plasma transfusion is used in burns, trauma and patients with liver disorders requiring surgery.

Double Red Cells: These can be donated every 112 days or up to 3 times every year. We know that the whole blood contains various components but the red cells are most commonly required. They increase the oxygen carrying capacity of blood. So, double red cell donation allows one to donate two units of red cells. This is done through a machine which selectively separates red cells while returning the platelets and plasma back to the circulation. It is as safe as whole blood donation though this procedure takes longer time.

Autologous blood donation: This is self-donation of blood and is useful in rare blood groups. The patient donates blood which is stored and is transfused to the same donor during a major surgery. The use of autologous transfusion is growing. As much as five units can be donated for subsequent use. The hemoglobin level of the donor should be more than 11 g/dL and the red cell concentration or the hematocrit should be more than 34% in blood. The first donation is performed on day 40 before planned surgery and the last donation is permitted three days before surgery. These donations can be scheduled at intervals of 3 to 4 days. Administration of recombinant human erythropoietin hormone stimulates production of red blood cells in the bone marrow and allows for more frequent donation of blood.

Blood and blood products are used as lifesaving modalities in various emergency and non-emergency situations. Blood donors have a great role to play as blood is always a limited resource. While aiming to save lives of patients, there should also be a concern for the blood donors. Their safety and well-being can be ensured by following

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
donating whole blood or a particular component. These guidelines are as follows:

Whole blood: This can be donated after every 56 days or 08 weeks. This is stored at 2oC to 6oC and is used for volume replacement in patients with blood loss during surgery or injury. It also increases the oxygen carrying capacity of blood in patients with severe anemia.

The frequency of possible blood donation depends on whether a person is donating whole blood or a particular component.

Platelets: Platelets can be donated every 7 days and up to 24 times in a year. These cells are the sticky cells of blood which form platelet plug to stop bleeding in case of injury. Platelets are selectively taken using a machine which separates these cells from rest of the blood. This procedure may take up to two hours. Normal daily activities can be resumed after this donation while taking care to avoid any strenuous activity. The donor is also instructed not to take aspirin 48 hours before donation as aspirin inhibits platelet function.

Plasma: Every 28 days and up to 13 times in a year, a healthy person can donate plasma. Plasma is separated from the donated blood or is collected through the machine. Plasma can also be collected along with platelet separation. Plasma collection requires about an hour. It is stored in frozen form and is called ‘Fresh frozen plasma’. Plasma is a rich source of clotting factors and is thawed to body temperature before transfusion. Plasma transfusion is used in burns, trauma and patients with liver disorders requiring surgery.

Double Red Cells: These can be donated every 112 days or up to 3 times every year. We know that the whole blood contains various components but the red cells are most commonly required. They increase the oxygen carrying capacity of blood. So, double red cell donation allows one to donate two units of red cells. This is done through a machine which selectively separates red cells while returning the platelets and plasma back to the circulation. It is as safe as whole blood donation though this procedure takes longer time.

Autologous blood donation: This is self-donation of blood and is useful in rare blood groups. The patient donates blood which is stored and is transfused to the same donor during a major surgery. The use of autologous transfusion is growing. As much as five units can be donated for subsequent use. The hemoglobin level of the donor should be more than 11 g/dL and the red cell concentration or the hematocrit should be more than 34% in blood. The first donation is performed on day 40 before planned surgery and the last donation is permitted three days before surgery. These donations can be scheduled at intervals of 3 to 4 days. Administration of recombinant human erythropoietin hormone stimulates production of red blood cells in the bone marrow and allows for more frequent donation of blood.

Blood and blood products are used as lifesaving modalities in various emergency and non-emergency situations. Blood donors have a great role to play as blood is always a limited resource. While aiming to save lives of patients, there should also be a concern for the blood donors. Their safety and well-being can be ensured by following

Great job Columbo researching that. I don't know why I go to a Hemotologist who has 12-14 years of schooling and who has been practicing for 3 decades when I could have just gotten my info from the internet.

Here's a cheat sheet for ya,
how often can you donate blood if you have hemochromatosis - Google Search

moreluck

golden ticket member
The life I save could be yours someday! Happy New Years!!!
this is very true...…….keep on keeping on!!
I used to donate blood through union drives(CWA) 'til they turned me down as not good enough eventually.
They are always quick to say....."it's good enough for you though..."

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
You expect me to know you have homo - whateveritis? Sorry

I would never expect you to know I had HH, just like you would never expect me to know you have stupidassititus. The only thing is, I have HH and know what I'm talking about. I don't have stupidassititus so I wouldn't comment beyond the realm of my knowledge on your stupidity or ignorance.

I'll let you continue to tell us about it...

rod

Retired 22 years
I would never expect you to know I had HH, just like you would never expect me to know you have stupidassititus. The only thing is, I have HH and know what I'm talking about. I don't have stupidassititus so I wouldn't comment beyond the realm of my knowledge on your stupidity or ignorance.

I'll let you continue to tell us about it...
Well— I guess you told me

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2020-1-16_7-0-57.png