The RIP Thread

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
1610298652670.png

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

Don Sutton, Baseball Hall of Famer and member of 300-win club, dies at 75

The baseball world has lost a Hall of Famer. Longtime starting pitcher Don Sutton died in his sleep this week, according to his son. Sutton was 75.

A model of durability, Sutton racked up 324 wins (14th all-time), 3,574 strikeouts (seventh all-time) and 5,282 1/3 innings (seventh all-time). He holds the MLB record for 200-inning seasons at 20. He's tied for fifth with 15 seasons of at least 225 innings. In the first 15 years of his career, all with the Dodgers, Sutton averaged 249 innings per season.

Sutton ranks third all-time in career starts. Here's the leaderboard:
  1. Cy Young, 815
  2. Nolan Ryan, 773
  3. Don Sutton, 756

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We lost Don Sutton and Henry Aaron this week, a sad day for baseball fans. Aaron had to put up with a lot of racism and death threats when he beat Babe Ruth's record. He had a lot of humility and showed a lot of class his whole career. Hammering Hank will always be the real Home Run King, he didn't need to be juiced up like Barry Bonds.

HankAaron715AtlantaStadium.jpg

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Don Sutton, Baseball Hall of Famer and member of 300-win club, dies at 75

The baseball world has lost a Hall of Famer. Longtime starting pitcher Don Sutton died in his sleep this week, according to his son. Sutton was 75.

A model of durability, Sutton racked up 324 wins (14th all-time), 3,574 strikeouts (seventh all-time) and 5,282 1/3 innings (seventh all-time). He holds the MLB record for 200-inning seasons at 20. He's tied for fifth with 15 seasons of at least 225 innings. In the first 15 years of his career, all with the Dodgers, Sutton averaged 249 innings per season.

Sutton ranks third all-time in career starts. Here's the leaderboard:
  1. Cy Young, 815
  2. Nolan Ryan, 773
  3. Don Sutton, 756

Don was part of the Atlanta Braves Sportscaster team for 23 years. He and Skip Carey were a very entertaining team!

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Hank Aaron

RIP

Hank Aaron was my Number One boyhood hero until Jimi Hendrix came along and then he was Number Two hero.
He has remained a hero to me over the years and I vividly remember my tennis team playing a team that Hank played on.
He was a good tennis player in his 60's and very good hand-eye coordination.
It was one of my coolest memories talking with him after his match was over.