The Silent Downfall of United Parcel Service (1907-20??)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
all the attractive house wives have admitted to me they pay for UPS shipping just to see me ...just saying
upsman2.png

ThePackageDeli

Those also need the infrastructure and a lot bigger vehicles

Let's see how many mattresses bed frames, air conditioners, lawnmowers and furniture that fits into those little vans.

I know. We've got a ways to go before we really need to be worried. But, at the very least we are experiencing a permanent decrease in volume in the short term, which MUST mean a layoff is coming for those unfortunate few at the bottom. You can't have a permanent reduction in volume AND keep the same number of people working. UPS don't fly like that.

I know. We've got a ways to go before we really need to be worried. But, at the very least we are experiencing a permanent decrease in volume in the short term, which MUST mean a layoff is coming for those unfortunate few at the bottom. You can't have a permanent reduction in volume AND keep the same number of people working. UPS don't fly like that.
I think they are weeding out the mom and pops and going after the high volume shippers to keep everything balanced.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Where are you working that there is a drop off in volume?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I hope I'm wrong. But the writing is on the proverbial wall.
we have been hearing this for YEARS AND YEARS,

you may be right but don't shortchange UPS on smarts and adjusting. they have been allocating more and more money into real estate , logistics , and robotics among other things.

so keep buying stock and diversify your skill set ( haha )

Overpaid Union Thug

I think Amazon will acquire the infrastructure needed to handle most of their own deliveries sooner than people believe. We MIGHT be able to keep their irregs but I doubt it.

UPS thinks they’ll be able to offset the loss with gaining more volume from big box stores and smaller companies but I’m sure FedEx (along with the USPS) will just undercut us on those like always. They are already going after them harder than ever since they stopped Amazon.

We aren’t going out of business but expect allot of cut routes and the rest to expand to areas they haven’t delivered to in years.

Meanwhile.....UPS is concerned about us wearing fluorescent vests and insists on using a navigation program that wants us to deliver commercial ground in the morning but come back to those same stops to deliver the NDA Savers after they’ve closed.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I definitely see amazon as a threat. Once they get hubs built and a good delivery network going they will own a good portion of the shipping and delivery pie. They will scavenge our remaining accounts giving them a discount that Ups won't be able to match so those accounts will jump ship to amazon. They will eventually be the THE shipping and delivery company that everyone will use. Once Ups and Fedex are out of the way and they have stolen most of the accounts, they will slowly raise their prices because they'll have a monopoly and there won't be anything anyone can do about it. IMO

I definitely see amazon as a threat. Once they get hubs built and a good delivery network going they will own a good portion of the shipping and delivery pie. They will scavenge our remaining accounts giving them a discount that Ups won't be able to match so those accounts will jump ship to amazon. They will eventually be the THE shipping and delivery company that everyone will use. Once Ups and Fedex are out of the way and they have stolen most of the accounts, they will slowly raise their prices because they'll have a monopoly and there won't be anything anyone can do about it. IMO
DHL tried that...