The UPS Helpline, and why you should NOT use it

Gary Host

Tactical Mouthpiece Ops
So much for yall's 'nobody cares' and 'this company is never going to change' attitudes. Someone at UPS got the memo, and have already begun a new helpline project. This one appears to have a functioning 'check report status' function, too! The FAQ file from the shiny new site details the same exact company info I provided on the first post. This operation is being ran by the same company, but they are calling it 'Coyote Helpline', now.
NewHelpline.jpg

NewHelpline2.jpg

Gary Host

Tactical Mouthpiece Ops
On the original site, if you clicked the 'follow up on a report' link it would take you to a page asking for a 'confirmation number' and a password. However, when I filed complaints it never gave me a chance to create any password and the 'report number' it gave, didn't work in that 'confirmation number' field. So, checking the status didn't work. at all. Also, I want to clarify that the lady on the call-in helpline told me the web helpline was a different company, but it looks like The Network, Inc. does run both services. Maybe they just weren't able to communicate with the other division very easily. Hopefully, that is being addressed in this new project, too.

Kudos to whoever stepped up to make this an actual working system. With the right oversight, this could potentially be a really great thing.

Helpline1.jpg

Helpline2.jpg

@Gumby see, change happens ;)

Gary Host

Tactical Mouthpiece Ops
While we have the ball moving, it would be exceptionally sweet if UPS committed to a more 'transparent' operation, in this regard. Maybe have a way for employees to obtain the records of complaints filed, so we don't feel like we're being taken advantage of. This might be a feature already, but if complaints keep being submitted against the same manager it could lock that mgr out from being able to clear the queue or elevate their personal risk/liability level so that it could be reviewed by the next level up. Maybe even put that on display for employees. Might encourage repeat-offenders to actually straighten up.

Gary Host

Tactical Mouthpiece Ops
Ok, I might have jumped the gun. This is just due to the recent buy-out and they are now using UPS's hotline phone number, but are apparently running their own website.

Reading an article about the buyout, analysts are worried that the young workforce and culture of Coyote Logistics might not mesh well with UPS's culture.....LMAO. Yep, no chance!

Last edited:

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Ok, I might have jumped the gun. This is just due to the recent buy-out and they are now using UPS's hotline phone number, but are apparently running their own website.

Reading an article about the buyout, analysts are worried that the young workforce and culture of Coyote Logistics might not mesh well with UPS's culture.....LMAO. Yep, no chance!
Do you have a link for the article? Might be an interesting read.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
*This is something I've mentioned in another thread, but think it's important enough to have it's own thread. If it gets stickied, it would also keep from having a bunch of similar posts asking about it or it's supposed anonymity.*

UPS touts 'THE UPS Helpline' as being a single entity/operation, but it is not. The way it's setup makes it easy for them to claim that it is 'anonymous', within reasonable doubt standards, but history shows that it is not.

The Network, Inc. is the company that runs the web-based helplines for most of corporate America. UPS's is tnwgrc.com/UPS, AT&T's is tnwgrc.com/att, etc. Navex Global is The Network's parent company. I don't recommend using 'the helpline'. It's designed specifically to prevent the development of a written record. When policies or suspect activities are indefensible, wrongdoing can best be obscured by keeping the evidence oral. This can be enforced by employer fiat, peer pressure, over scheduling (to ensure that there is not time to construct a written record), OR by deceiving all your employees and encouraging them to use their software that just logs the complaint and spits out a risk-level assessment. In litigation, if the employer can prove that they 'didn't know' about your submitted complaints then the case is dismissed. So, I'm guessing they use a single login account on the rare occasion that they even look at the logs and then never have to have any ties to a specific HR person as having been aware. When you use the on-line Helpline, it's a form that you fill in and it gives you some number 'to check the status of your complaint later', but there is nowhere on the website to do that. So, then you can call 'the helpline' to check on it...but you'll be sad to discover that the 'phone division' is an entirely different company than the on-line company and that your number is useless because they have no idea what the other company is doing. Except the other company isn't really a company so much as just an on-line logbook software.

It might have changed, but last I knew UPS's computers/network accessibility is so limited that employees couldn't even access the helpline website with them. So, we are basically forced to call and therefore have the complaints be oral. This is not by accident. One of the reasons it's in their best interest to have complaints be restricted to oral, is because of the conflict of interest with the helpline employees. Whenever you go to any reporting authority to file a charge, you'll explain the situation and they will summarize what you said and type it in the system. Speaking from experience, even 'neutral' agencies can leave out very critical words or phrase things in a way that can hurt your case, if not be completely detrimental to it. The helpline people are being fed by the client...so, the chances of them doing that are probably close to certain. Since you didn't write it, you can't really fight it. unless recorded.

It's also important that you know, that once you have used their 'anonymous' reporting system, you have also effectively labelled yourself a future litigation risk and they will mitigate that before you find out what I'm telling you now. Use the standard grievance system, or at the very least, keep your own records/recordings of anything you submit using this system.

This is an example of the type of software used for on-line helplines:
View attachment 162256
Aren’t those calls recorded?