The View From The Bunker

Brother and Sisters:

As you get older, your inner life undergoes a great and wonderful simplification-everything pi*ses you off. Here is the short list(taken from a much
longer list) of things that are currently cheesing me off in the world of Fedex:

1.) Getting OLCC'S for not turning in a sale lead a month, not making your name legible in the VIR or putting in wrong yr(00/00/12 instead of 00/00/13). Actually been told a decision day is coming if I am not careful in future.
2.) Signing a workplace violence memo every six months-apparently they don't trust a courier pee-on's short term memory.
3.) Listening to the guy on Frontline every month.......like we say in Texas "Big Hat-No Cattle". I always thought this person has not been quite sane for some time. I hope the board of directors in this company takes notice.
4.) This is a big one-changing up the vacation bidding process just before it begins. Let me explain; as far back as I can remember(20+ yrs) we started out with the most senior people on down bidding full vacation weeks in the first round. In my case I could bid up to 5 full weeks in the first round. Not any more. The MD in the district (she who must be obeyed) has decided the new "family friendly option" is more fair and reasonable. This year, a person with 1 to 9 years of service can only select ONE week in first round, a person with over 10 years of sevice but less than 20 can select TWO weeks in the first round and those over 20 years can select THREE weeks in the first round. The second round is used for any remain-
vacation weeks.
Folks, I know what you are thinking and I bet it goes something like this: WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROX! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROX! Honestly, the reaction has been universal. The war in Afghanistan is going to look like a spitball fight before this is over! We all patiently waited our turn and now the newbies can jump the line. It took me 9 years to get a week in August but I swallowed knowing it would get better later. I know this is an automatic GFT for many people. She is getting a lot of blowback and might reconsider. One can only hope.

Thank you for listening.

Courage and Common Sense.......Proven Tools for Chronic Problems

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Brother and Sisters:

As you get older, your inner life undergoes a great and wonderful simplification-everything pi*ses you off. Here is the short list(taken from a much
longer list) of things that are currently cheesing me off in the world of Fedex:

1.) Getting OLCC'S for not turning in a sale lead a month, not making your name legible in the VIR or putting in wrong yr(00/00/12 instead of 00/00/13). Actually been told a decision day is coming if I am not careful in future.
2.) Signing a workplace violence memo every six months-apparently they don't trust a courier pee-on's short term memory.
3.) Listening to the guy on Frontline every month.......like we say in Texas "Big Hat-No Cattle". I always thought this person has not been quite sane for some time. I hope the board of directors in this company takes notice.
4.) This is a big one-changing up the vacation bidding process just before it begins. Let me explain; as far back as I can remember(20+ yrs) we started out with the most senior people on down bidding full vacation weeks in the first round. In my case I could bid up to 5 full weeks in the first round. Not any more. The MD in the district (she who must be obeyed) has decided the new "family friendly option" is more fair and reasonable. This year, a person with 1 to 9 years of service can only select ONE week in first round, a person with over 10 years of sevice but less than 20 can select TWO weeks in the first round and those over 20 years can select THREE weeks in the first round. The second round is used for any remain-
vacation weeks.
Folks, I know what you are thinking and I bet it goes something like this: WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROX! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROX! Honestly, the reaction has been universal. The war in Afghanistan is going to look like a spitball fight before this is over! We all patiently waited our turn and now the newbies can jump the line. It took me 9 years to get a week in August but I swallowed knowing it would get better later. I know this is an automatic GFT for many people. She is getting a lot of blowback and might reconsider. One can only hope.

Thank you for listening.

This whole company has not been sane in a long time. But my friend you have come to the right place.

Welcome.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Brother and Sisters:

vacation weeks.

Thank you for listening.

I like the way you think.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I've said it before,
Everyone should only be able to bid on 2 weeks of vaca. in the first round.
Once the second round hits, back to normal.
This is the only way to make it somewhat fair for everyone.

Nobody with 5 weeks of vaca. can tell me that they have pre-planned all of those 5 weeks with some exotic trip.

hypo hanna

I've said it before,

Nobody with 5 weeks of vaca. can tell me that they have pre-planned all of those 5 weeks with some exotic trip.
Tried that about 5 years back in my workgroup. Lasted a year before it was was quashed. The wind direction changed... To hell with the employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've said it before,

You can look at it from both sides, but I definitely think that the bidding system needs to be reworked. We have one guy with over 30 years, and he always takes the prime weeks. There are a couple more at or close to 30, and there go the rest. Even with as many years as I have in, I seldom get the weeks I want.

vantexan

You can look at it from both sides, but I definitely think that the bidding system needs to be reworked. We have one guy with over 30 years, and he always takes the prime weeks. There are a couple more at or close to 30, and there go the rest. Even with as many years as I have in, I seldom get the weeks I want.

Then you know how mid-range employees feel having to work next to people who will always do better than them. Someone coming on here crying because he can't pick his full 5 weeks first when he makes so much more than many of us is illustrative of the attitudes toward mid-range. At least he can afford to do something on his vacations. My vacations consist of either staying home and watching tv or if I can pull the money together I can stay for free at a relative's home and watch tv there in another plain Jane town.

Goldilocks

Then you know how mid-range employees feel having to work next to people who will always do better than them. Someone coming on here crying because he can't pick his full 5 weeks first when he makes so much more than many of us is illustrative of the attitudes toward mid-range. At least he can afford to do something on his vacations. My vacations consist of either staying home and watching tv or if I can pull the money together I can stay for free at a relative's home and watch tv there in another plain Jane town.

We never get to bid all 5 weeks in round one. 3 weeks first round. Split weeks round 2. Personal and Floaters round 3. I never take spring break off because my kids are all grown and I leave that week for young families. I remember how I felt when Joe Blow with no kids but lots of seniority would take that week off, and I struggled to find a sitter so that my kids could sit home during spring break and watch TV.

Rhoderunner

Brother and Sisters:

This year, a person with 1 to 9 years of service can only select ONE week in first round, a person with over 10 years of sevice but less than 20 can select TWO weeks in the first round and those over 20 years can select THREE weeks in the first round. The second round is used for any remain-
vacation weeks.

Been doing it this way for a number of years now, like it or not get use to it. It aint going back !!!!

vantexan

We never get to bid all 5 weeks in round one. 3 weeks first round. Split weeks round 2. Personal and Floaters round 3. I never take spring break off because my kids are all grown and I leave that week for young families. I remember how I felt when Joe Blow with no kids but lots of seniority would take that week off, and I struggled to find a sitter so that my kids could sit home during spring break and watch TV.

And it's greatly appreciated! I hate to say it, but I hope they don't raise starting pay or top-out this year. If they don't I go over the pay range midpoint and will get 5% next year. If they raise either it will be several more years of 3% raises. If they continue to raise both I won't get a better raise before I retire and I'm at 43% of range now. Totally rigged system so it's difficult to take someone complaining about not getting to pick 5 weeks at once.

MAKAVELI

And it's greatly appreciated! I hate to say it, but I hope they don't raise starting pay or top-out this year. If they don't I go over the pay range midpoint and will get 5% next year. If they raise either it will be several more years of 3% raises. If they continue to raise both I won't get a better raise before I retire and I'm at 43% of range now. Totally rigged system so it's difficult to take someone complaining about not getting to pick 5 weeks at once.

What makes you think that you're going to get 5 percent next year if we get nothing this year. The only thing you can expect from FedEx from year to year is absolutely nothing. I personally rather get the 3 percent now at to offset the increase in medical. Because we have no idea what they're going to do next year.

vantexan

What makes you think that you're going to get 5 percent next year if we get nothing this year. The only thing you can expect from FedEx from year to year is absolutely nothing. I personally rather get the 3 percent now at to offset the increase in medical. Because we have no idea what they're going to do next year.

I'm not topped out. If they don't raise top-out I catch the midpoint and will be in the third quartile. That gets me 5% next year instead of 3%. Sorry, but I'm on lowest payscale and at $18.17 after 14 years. They need to stop playing games and give midrange employees at least 5% so that we have a chance to catch top-out. But as is, this is the new pay system started in 2012. Until they drop it I'll have to figure it will be this way for awhile. Sorry that it pits mid-range against top-out but I've made considerably less for over 14 years so if only one group gets a raise it should be midrange. And I suspect they may stop topped out raises to put pressure on better paid employees to quit.

MAKAVELI

I'm not topped out. If they don't raise top-out I catch the midpoint and will be in the third quartile. That gets me 5% next year instead of 3%. Sorry, but I'm on lowest payscale and at $18.17 after 14 years. They need to stop playing games and give midrange employees at least 5% so that we have a chance to catch top-out. But as is, this is the new pay system started in 2012. Until they drop it I'll have figure it will be this way for awhile. Sorry that it pits mid-range against top-out but I've made considerably less for over 14 years so if only one group gets a raise it should be midrange. And I suspect they may stop topped out raises to put pressure on better paid employees to quit.

Again what makes you think they're keeping that same raise system? They can change it from year to year and from the looks of it right now looks like they're going to change it again.

MAKAVELI

What they really need to do is equalize all the pay based on years of service that's the way it was done every other place that I have worked at.

vantexan

Again what makes you think they're keeping that same raise system? They can change it from year to year and from the looks of it right now looks like they're going to change it again.

Based on what? They have the new pay system posted in stations. If anything they'll freeze starting and top-out pay to offset midrange raises. And to encourage higher paid employees to leave. The more of you that leave, the lower their payroll costs. So I agree, why raise top-out? But until they take down the posted new system from station bulletin boards I'll have to figure it'll happen. If we don't get raises feel free to laugh at my naïveté.

vantexan

What they really need to do is equalize all the pay based on years of service that's the way it was done every other place that I have worked at.

I agree, but they have no qualms about making midrange employees work for much less for decades. They really don't care. If they cared a little they'd get rid of the B payscale as it is way behind the others. But they don't. And as long as people are willing to work for peanuts at Ground then too damn bad at Express seems to be their attitude.

MAKAVELI

Based on what? They have the new pay system posted in stations. If anything they'll freeze starting and top-out pay to offset midrange raises. And to encourage higher paid employees to leave. The more of you that leave, the lower their payroll costs. So I agree, why raise top-out? But until they take down the posted new system from station bulletin boards I'll have to figure it'll happen. If we don't get raises feel free to laugh at my naïveté.
I have asked my managers and none of them know what the raise is going to be this year so what does that tell me that their new system is not set in stone we don't have a contract so they can change it at will. If you believe everything that they say uh you might be a little naive.

vantexan

I have asked my managers and none of them know what the raise is going to be this year so what does that tell me that their new system is not set in stone we don't have a contract so they can change it at will. If you believe everything that they say uh you might be a little naive.

Uh, they've had pay systems in the past that have lasted for years. Let's see what happens in March before taking potshots, ok?

MAKAVELI

Uh, they've had pay systems in the past that have lasted for years. Let's see what happens in March before taking potshots, ok?

Hey all I'm saying is don't you think they would've said something by now I mean we're heading into the last week of February. Usually by now they're Tooting their own horn right now and telling us how great they are for giving us a merit raise.