The View From The Bunker

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Brother and Sisters:

As you get older, your inner life undergoes a great and wonderful simplification-everything pi*ses you off. Here is the short list(taken from a much
longer list) of things that are currently cheesing me off in the world of Fedex:

1.) Getting OLCC'S for not turning in a sale lead a month, not making your name legible in the VIR or putting in wrong yr(00/00/12 instead of 00/00/13). Actually been told a decision day is coming if I am not careful in future.
2.) Signing a workplace violence memo every six months-apparently they don't trust a courier pee-on's short term memory.
3.) Listening to the guy on Frontline every month.......like we say in Texas "Big Hat-No Cattle". I always thought this person has not been quite sane for some time. I hope the board of directors in this company takes notice.
4.) This is a big one-changing up the vacation bidding process just before it begins. Let me explain; as far back as I can remember(20+ yrs) we started out with the most senior people on down bidding full vacation weeks in the first round. In my case I could bid up to 5 full weeks in the first round. Not any more. The MD in the district (she who must be obeyed) has decided the new "family friendly option" is more fair and reasonable. This year, a person with 1 to 9 years of service can only select ONE week in first round, a person with over 10 years of sevice but less than 20 can select TWO weeks in the first round and those over 20 years can select THREE weeks in the first round. The second round is used for any remain-
vacation weeks.
Folks, I know what you are thinking and I bet it goes something like this: WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROX! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROX! Honestly, the reaction has been universal. The war in Afghanistan is going to look like a spitball fight before this is over! We all patiently waited our turn and now the newbies can jump the line. It took me 9 years to get a week in August but I swallowed knowing it would get better later. I know this is an automatic GFT for many people. She is getting a lot of blowback and might reconsider. One can only hope.

Thank you for listening.

Courage and Common Sense.......Proven Tools for Chronic Problems

Sounds like you're in Big Mama's house like us Goldi. Welcome aboard brother, we have water but no kool aid...especially purple and orange.

vantexan

Hey all I'm saying is don't you think they would've said something by now I mean we're heading into the last week of February. Usually by now they're Tooting their own horn right now and telling us how great they are for giving us a merit raise.

Possibly because not everyone will get one?

MAKAVELI

Now that would be different than the system they have in place right?

No, system in place doesn't guarantee a raise for topped out employees or newhire. Whether they raise starting pay or top pay is at their discretion.

If you don't know by now, no one is guaranteed a raise. Benefits included. I don't know why you think this " system" is a contract. How long you been working here?

vantexan

If you don't know by now, no one is guaranteed a raise. Benefits included. I don't know why you think this " system" is a contract. How long you been working here?

I didn't say we were. I said as long as they are using this system that they posted on bulletin boards last year midrange employees will get 3% if under the midway point in their pay range, 5% if above the midway point in the third quartile, 6% if in the 4th quartile but can't go over top-out. Whether they raise starting pay or top pay is entirely at their discretion. My guess is with the push on to raise profits top pay won't be increased this year and probably not starting pay either. As long as they leave the new raise system posted for all to see on station bulletin boards I'll assume midrange will get the above raises. But don't worry, you'll still make considerably more than me.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Brother and Sisters:

As you get older, your inner life undergoes a great and wonderful simplification-everything pi*ses you off.

1.) Getting OLCC'S for not turning in a sale lead a month, not making your name legible in the VIR or putting in wrong yr(00/00/12 instead of 00/00/13). Actually been told a decision day is coming if I am not careful in future.

A decision day because of OLCC's? And yet, I have had many managers who have told me that OLCC's are no big deal. (Yeah, right, I believe that one). I recently found out that you can look at all your OLCC's, without management assistance, from the home page. I was at a station a few years ago where a manager gave me FIFTEEN negative OLCC's in the span of two and a half years! I knew I got a lot, but I had no idea it was that many. That was more than in the previous 20 years combined.

Brothers and Sisters:

Thank you all for the comments made. Most positive but it seems several folks did not care for my written remark concerning the change in vacation bidding. This was an attempt to indicate how it was implemented and what the change meant. That is all. Somehow it was misinterpreted as myself being a whining ingrate who should be thankful to have five weeks vacation to bid in first round. On the contrary, I am grateful and I waited a long time as indicated.

But you missed the point. Let me clarify if you don't mind. How many people believe the MD of the district has to wait her turn in line to bid on vacation? All anybody wants is a consistent application of rules that were deemed fair and reasonable in the past and not change everything in the middle of a game. FYI- I believe everybody should be paid the same amount and have five weeks of vacation a year. We all do the same work.....right?

Oh Dear-I am in trouble with mgmt now.