The word "partner"

Black_6_Leader

There is a word that is tossed about at UPS in reference to being in management, and that is "Partner".

There was time, when that word "Partner" had meaning beyond what is found in the dictionary. It meant things like:

"To correctly describe a United Parcel Service Partner, the calendar of time would have to be reversed to completely capture what was in the hearts and minds of our Company's founder and early pioneers."

"A UPS partner feels this spirit, yet finds difficulty to fit the words to properly convey and perpetuate the dreams and ideals of "Men of High Motives and Honest Hearts."

"This, therefor is a modest attempt to remind our Partners of some of those qualities that must be acquired, maintained and preserved by each and every Partner."

"I do not work for anyone in our Company. I work with my Partners and with everyone else in United Parcel Service. We are not merely co-workers in our Company, but we are friends working toward a common goal."

"I work for the success of the entire Company rather than for my own personal gain or advantage. I give the benefit of my knowledge and experience to each of my Partners. I want to help them as I know they will help me."

"To me, "Service Comes First" I am dedicated to serving others, -- All of our People--All of our Customers --All of our Business Contacts --and All of the People in the Community. I perform this act of Service with sincerity and honest purpose."

"The financial stability and the future profitable success of our Company are assured when my dedication to Service is performed with the thought of "giving" rather then "receiving."

I believe in the policies of United Parcel Service. I know what they are; I know what they mean; I adhere to them and administer them to the best of my ability."

"Being a partner means "Sharing in All Things". I share in the elation of our successes and I share grave concern when we fail."

"Being a Partner is a way of life. When I was chosen to become a Partner, I know my future was ordained. There is no other path for me"

"I must continually earn my right to this Partnership. My continuance as a Partner is annually re-affirmed after my efforts and my contribution as a Partner have been evaluated. If my Partnership status status is renewed, I know this has happened through the effort and results obtained in the performance of my specific responsibilities and in my overall performance as a Partner."

" I must continually strive for better personal performance. As I grow in my job I know that the opportunities for new partners are occurring. Just as I was at one time a perspective Partner, I must go forward and lead and assist our newer Partners in assuming their role of a true Partner."

"I have a voice in determining the future course of our Company. The management climate in our company is such that I can and should speak out on matters that pertain to our common welfare. I know that I will be heard; I know that my comments will be heard with respect."

"Throughout the years of this partnership I look with confidence toward my own personal well-being. I know that as the Company grows and prospers the financial future of my family and my loved ones is assured."

"I pledge, now and for the future, to always be worthy of the trust and confidence of my fellow Partners."

"These and other qualities of a Partner are my guide for now and for the future. My adherence to these guide lines can well be my legacy for the newer Partners to come."

Yes, the word Partner used to carry that strong evocative meaning. I for one, do not see or feel that the true meaning of the word Partner is followed any more.

Rather, the "few" continually break the faith with the "many"; so that UPS is no longer any place special . . . it is now just another big lumbering, behemoth corporation.

The partnership is dead.

Comments?

browniehound

Hi!,
Even an as hourly I would like to think of myselfy as a partner. I think that was the goal of the employee stock purchase plan. Problem is, purchasing UPS stock, even at a 10% discount has been a poor investment.

I want to share in the company's success. (isn't this a question on the ERI?) I want to get as many sales leads as I can. Its wa win-win situation if I do.

I see a disturbing trend however. We are losing volume to non-union carriers. I put in a sales lead whenever I see an oppportunity and I still see a decrease in pick-up volume.

This only means one thing to me. UPS's claim that we all need to make it our problem and to get more sales leads is not working. UPS is sick right now. Its sick in a fundamental way. Sales leads will only attack the problem on the surface.

UPS's problems are deeper than any of us can imagine. As a driver I would love to do whatever I can. I'll say it now and say it again in person if I have too, Mike Eskew needs to get us out of this. I know its my job to get sales leads, but its Mike's job TO GET US OUT OF THIS AND GET VOLUME BACK FROM FED-EX AND DHL

Sammie

We first heard the "Partner" Phrase a while back when a new department manager introduced herself to us.

She and her "Partners" were going to work together to accomplish this and do that... and we thought, huh? Who are they? She was referring to herself and her fellow Managers.

The Exclusive Club, members only. (I was going to say millionaires only...)

disneyworld

We first heard the "Partner" Phrase a while back when a new department manager introduced herself to us.

She and her "Partners" were going to work together to accomplish this and do that... and we thought, huh? Who are they? She was referring to herself and her fellow Managers.

The Exclusive Club, members only. (I was going to say millionaires only...)
Billionaire Boys Club

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Partner used to be a very "Special" terninology when working with fellow UPSers across the country---and even across the world.In management it was used to identify the special relationship we had --yes we were Salaried Employees---and we had to work ungodly hours at certain times of the year---a train derailment--no problems, our partners would take care of it if it is something that happened in their "Backyard". If you needed a favor on the other end--pu or delivery, you could reach out for your partner and it would be taken care of.

I recently retired from UPS after 34 years-----I drove for 13 years and the rest in Management.One of the best compliments I recieved was from fellow UPSers who indicated that I was a good "Partner"------this was from people that I considered "Partners" as well-------someone I could call 24/7 with a favor and it would be taken care of. I think that old timers still know what the term Partner means---as far as the younger generation....hopefully it is something that they evolve into!

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Partner used to be a very "Special" terninology when working with fellow UPSers across the country---and even across the world.In management it was used to identify the special relationship we had --yes we were Salaried Employees---and we had to work ungodly hours at certain times of the year---a train derailment--no problems, our partners would take care of it if it is something that happened in their "Backyard". If you needed a favor on the other end--pu or delivery, you could reach out for your partner and it would be taken care of.

I recently retired from UPS after 34 years-----I drove for 13 years and the rest in Management.One of the best compliments I recieved was from fellow UPSers who indicated that I was a good "Partner"------this was from people that I considered "Partners" as well-------someone I could call 24/7 with a favor and it would be taken care of. I think that old timers still know what the term Partner means---as far as the younger generation....hopefully it is something that they evolve into!

Sammie

I can appreciate your comments.

But a big part of UPS, and I believe one of it's drawbacks, is the focus on class distinction. I've worked for private industry and the government, where it is not nearly so prevalent.

In this company, one never forgets "his place". That to me is hardly a Partnership.

brown bomber

brown bomber
the only partnership that is important to me is...the one between myself and the dogs on my route..even if I'm having a crappy day..I know that they appreciate my effort..and don't ask for anything in return but a treat

DS

Fenderbender
.......................... from wikipedia .................................
James E. Casey
(March 29, 1888 - June 6, 1983), American businessman, was born in Pick Handle Gulch near Candelaria, Nevada.
In 1907 19-year-old Jim Casey founded the American Messenger Company in Seattle, Washington with $100 borrowed from a friend. He served as president, CEO and chairman. Claude Ryan was his partner and his messengers were his brother George and other teenagers. His motto was "best service and lowest rates" Deliveries were made on foot, bicycle, or motorcycle.

Hey! I like that motto! in fact add to it....

Best worldwide service,Guaranteed lowest rates...
10% below Fedex DHL and fedex ground
that would do it wouldn`t it?

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
10% below that of FedEx-----sounds good, but FEdEX actually has lower ground rates that UPS.UPS can't charge rates that are below it's cost to serve---and because FedEx and DHL have lower labor costs, they can charge lower rates----and offer much lower discounted rates to larger companies.If UPS does charge lower rates that our cost to serve------look out---UPS will be sued for "Predatory" Pricing.

So "PARTNERS" --here is a good question---with a new contract being negotiated-----and Teamsters wanting more $$--less hours--better benefits--more pension---more--more --more...................How much will UPS have to raise their rates to cover the increased cost of the new contract???

Black_6_Leader

I do find It strange that no one commented on the source of the quotes that were provided to me, and posted here.

These were copied word for word from a certificate that was given to first time MIP recipients in days past. The copy I was shown was signed by the individuals UPS district and staff manager. It was as if there was an implicit promise.

So most likely there are certificates (like the one I quoted from) out there in the possession of current managers or supervisors, that carry one of the following signatures:

Michael L. Eskew
David Barnes
David Abney
D. Scott Davis
Alan Gershenhorn
Kurt Kuehn
John McDevitt
Bob Stoffel
Jim Winestock
Teri Plummer McClure
Allen Hill
Christine M. Owens

I just wonder if that certificate holder feels as if they can look the undersigned in the eye, and say the implied promise has been kept?