Things your preloader likes

aspenleaf

see that rarely happens with us, we're there til they get there for the most part as most of our work comes after our break. We always do the airs unless they are EXTREMELY late and even then they usually keep 2 of us on the boxline to drop them in behind the right trucks. I guess it all depends on the center/hub that you work at.

We are the same as you - a few of us stay late to run the late airs. But the sups do try to get off the clock as early as possible. Which usually means I get too watch a few other cages for the last 30 minutes.

over9five

Staff member
I have a great loader. Been loading my car for 6 or 7 months now. No complaints at all.

But you guys need to remember one thing....

You don't work for the driver. He is not your employer, you are not his employee.
If I had a problem with my load, I would NOT take it up with my loader. I would take it up with my supervisor. We are all HIS employees, in that respect we are equals.

AND, if you have a problem with a driver, take it up with your sup. That's what they're there for!

aspenleaf

I have a great loader. Been loading my car for 6 or 7 months now. No complaints at all.

You don't work for the driver. He is not your employer, you are not his employee.
If I had a problem with my load, I would NOT take it up with my loader. I would take it up with my supervisor. We are all HIS employees, in that respect we are equals.

AND, if you have a problem with a driver, take it up with your sup. That's what they're there for!

Yes of course we know we don't work for the drivers. We are co-workers, all part of the same team. I have not had any issues with my drivers but if I did my sup is not who I would turn to (mainly because my sup could care less about my issues and I get a new sup every few weeks). I only care what my drivers think because no sup will tell me I am doing a good job and I get kinda tried of telling myself how great I am :tongue_sm . . .I guess I need some validation once in a while.

W

westsideworma

agreed, its just sometimes it helps to talk to the person who is directly affected by the quality of your job.

Supes often forget to tell us (and you drivers) things and then my driver asks if I moved "this" to "there" I am like huh?

I definitely know what you're saying though and normally I do go through them (supes) if its a job quality issue (well except the driver I mentioned as I was basically informed he's just unsatisfied with his job from the beginning), if its something else, my drivers are there when I am and its just as easy to ask them etc.

W

westsideworma

I have not had a good pre loader in 2 years. they keep quiting.

UPS is tough on preloaders, its not easy coming into work everyday and hearing "you suck". Obviously they don't put it in those exact words but thats the gist of it. The problem is most of us know the majority of the people who come down on us for whatever reason can't do it any better so its almost hypocrisy. I am the oldest loader on my wise (seniority wise anyway) on my line (only 2 years in, little over) and to be honest they don't bother me too much. I've learned that its all a bunch of BS and I just go about my business. The other day they started the unload/primary/slide before 15-30 min (forget which) before us and it was a disaster and they planned on doing this then had the nerve to ask us why we weren't done. I know 30 min doesn't sound like much, but on the boxline it is. Our cages are full when we get there so its nice to get that one swing (almost 1 and a half actually) to empty the cages out a bit before they go nuts and start tossing them in the cages. Its like they experiment on us trying to squeeze the absolute most they can out of us. Our line looked like a bomb hit it...they didn't do it again today thats for sure.

If you don't misload they whine about your PPH, if your PPH is up they whine about your misloads, if you got both going well for you they whine because your truck isn't in complete stop for stop order or you didn't make a walkway down the middle of your truck. If you do all they'll think of something else, I'm waiting for the day they ask me to check the oil and tire pressure too...lol :w00t:

The preload is a tough shift, anyone who's worked the night shift and extended onto the preload when needed said its much harder than anything else they've done on their shift. However I envy them...they don't use PAS, but they also load trailers, which I'm not sure I'd like.:wink:

Aspen,
Thanks for your post. I didn't realize you cared so much of the driver's opinion on your job. I happen to have a very good preloader and I guess from your post I probably don't thank him enough.

I have been attempting for almost a year to get the dispatch sup to change the location of a bulk stop that is in my truck. This company gets 60 packages per day and has a dock. These 60 packages are loaded in the 4000 section. I asked the dispatch sup if he could put a HIN of 8900 for this stop so they could be loaded on the back shelf. He said no problem. The sup did this for 1 center car plan and thats it. Apparently you have to do it for all the car plans to get it in that section everyday, because that stop hasn't been given a HIN of 8900 in over 5 months! I guess the center is not running that amount of cars anymore as for me to get this bulk stop loaded where it should be. Anyway, my point is, the preloader recognizes this stop and loads it at the back of the truck. Problem is, when he is out I have a preloader trying to stuff 60 packages in section 4375 which I have to walk 1 by 1 to the back of the truck.

This is a senario where I really apprecitiate the efforts of my preloader and don't care too much for the efforts of our dispatch sup. My point here is, if the goal for management is to manage the center in a way to deliver packages more efficiently then this particular manager is not doing his job. Its talking me at leat 5-8 minutes longer to do this stop with it loaded at the front of the truck.

It amazes my that a company that puts so many resources into counting seconds (IE person telling me I'm doing my start-car routine 1 second longer than should. good grief!) in these time studies would allow me to waste a whole 300 of them in just 1 stop.

I agree, I am a preloader and I keep seeing that one of my drivers will have 240 stops (the car is usually bricked from the cab to the back door), and the driver next to him(who delivers in the same area) will have around 150 stops, with 2 half empty shelves. It's funny, with all the stupid little equations UPS uses, they somehow can't prevent things like that from happening. I believe it's all malice, and the management are always trying to screw us. Just an endless battle with those guys