Thinking about applying for UPS

J_Rod

Hello all. I'll start with a bit of info about myself. I'm 23 years old and looking for a good career. I tried firefighting for the past year but decided that crawling into burning buildings is a little too hardcore for me. Unmarrried and don't plan on trying it (again) for quite awhile. For a long time now the idea of being a UPS delivery driver has interested me. I like the physical, fast paced nature of the job. I like working outdoors. I know it can suck working in the boiling heat and freezing cold but I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I also enjoy jobs that involve driving.

How long do most people work part time before being promoted to a driving position? I've heard anywhere from 6 months to 10 years or more. I wouldn't mind working PT for a few years as a means to and end, but 10 years sounds ridiculous. I like what I hear about the pay and benefits, but that would not be my top motivation. I've spoken to a few drivers in my area about working for UPS and gotten everything from "a good job" to "you might as well go shoot yourself." I guess it's hard to find people enthusiastic about their job no matter what field. I've done some reading on this forum; and I realized forums are a great place to vent and b*tch, but holy cow, is UPS as bad as some of you make it out to be? Would you recommend this career path to others? Why or why not? To those of you who have done it awhile: Would you say you have enjoyed your time at UPS?

Anyways, I guess I'm looking for a little wisdom and direction. Thanks for reading and looking forward to your responses!

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Hello all. I'll start with a bit of info about myself. I'm 23 years old and looking for a good career. I tried firefighting for the past year but decided that crawling into burning buildings is a little too hardcore for me. Unmarrried and don't plan on trying it (again) for quite awhile. For a long time now the idea of being a UPS delivery driver has interested me. I like the physical, fast paced nature of the job. I like working outdoors. I know it can suck working in the boiling heat and freezing cold but I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I also enjoy jobs that involve driving.

How long do most people work part time before being promoted to a driving position? I've heard anywhere from 6 months to 10 years or more. I wouldn't mind working PT for a few years as a means to and end, but 10 years sounds ridiculous. I like what I hear about the pay and benefits, but that would not be my top motivation. I've spoken to a few drivers in my area about working for UPS and gotten everything from "a good job" to "you might as well go shoot yourself." I guess it's hard to find people enthusiastic about their job no matter what field. I've done some reading on this forum; and I realized forums are a great place to vent and b*tch, but holy cow, is UPS as bad as some of you make it out to be? Would you recommend this career path to others? Why or why not? To those of you who have done it awhile: Would you say you have enjoyed your time at UPS?

Anyways, I guess I'm looking for a little wisdom and direction. Thanks for reading and looking forward to your responses!

Hi J_Rod,

Welcome to the BrownCafe!

You will get a variety of opinions and information here as you've already experienced. You can try P/T for a while and see how you like it, the time it takes to go friend/T varies all over the country. With economic conditions the way they are waiting times have to be at their longest periods as many drivers are still in layoff mode...

Don't know what your schooling has been but you can go part-time and go to school to get a degree and that will give you options if UPS doesn't work out for you.

Good luck!

quest01

When I did an interview for a UPS part time package handler position I brought up the question on how long would it take to become a full time package delivery driver and the HR lady told me it takes approximately 11-14 years.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

What "it" are you referring to?:wink2: J/K, but as far as liking this job, I love it. Just as it varies on where you are, for how long the wait will be, it also varies from person to person, how they feel about the job. I say take the advice of Tony Express. If you can get in part time, do so, but keep your options open.

When I did an interview for a UPS part time package handler position I brought up the question on how long would it take to become a full time package delivery driver and the HR lady told me it takes approximately 11-14 years.
Depending on the area you live in or move to.