Thinking about getting a job with UPS, any advice?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why do a lot of people say its not "rewarding?" 80K a year, fully paid benefits, pension, 401K only work mon-fri, paid holidays. I know people who would literally kill for a job like this. It's not all roses but it does seem to balance out.

Should be 110K a year if you really work all those 12 to 14 hours days.

Nimnim

The Nim
When I get to top rate I am going to be rich! Another driver told me once I max out they (center) won't work me as much as they do now.

It's what, 2.5/3 years for top out? After how many years of PT, unless you're a lucky outside hire?

The end result after 2/3+ years isn't what someone who's interested in getting a job at UPS needs to hear first. They need to know what it takes to get to that end result, and then what happens when they're there.

The end goal isn't always worth it for everyone when they know what it takes to get there.

W

want to retire

32 years here......OK......Why in the world would you go through all the trouble of getting an education degree and then go to UPS? You spent alot of time and money(unless it was given to you)....right? In my experience, there is no rhyme or reason why or how people get promoted unless you take racial set asides(discrimination), gender(discrimination) and the like. Plenty of that at UPS. So, if you're a minority.....by all means apply. You may end up on a midnight sort or remote center....who knows? Long, long hours with a promise of a step away from losing your job. It was mentioned above about 80k and all that.........well maybe.....but there is alot in-between. Every second you spend not teaching, is farther away from retiring(if you ever decide to teach).

I could tell you about all the a-holes I have worked for(not all)......and being told you're the worst they've ever seen.......after sweating gallons, working 12 straight without a break, peeing in a bottle.......being yelled at for things that were directly caused by the person yelling at you(or trying to fire you). Forget about any personal life m-friend 7am-7pm. Lots of times 9pm.

There are exceptions and hey, you may love it.

As seen through a slug's eyes.

wgf46

Good time to see if you like it, apply for a Seasonal Job right now. You can work part of November through Christmas and see what you think about it, ask questions while your working and get paid a little.

oldupsman

I'm a 22 year old male, about to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Childhood Education. I am not planning on trying to go right into a teaching job, and even if I did want to , its tough to find one in NY right now.

I have always been interested in UPS, as a young boy I bought and sold on eBay and loved sending and receiving packages. I'm considering trying to find a position as a part-time, who knows -could end up -full time job.

Would it be worth it? How long does it take to become a driver? Would having a college degree in education help at all?
I have a B.S. in secondary education. When I graduated I couldn't find a teaching job. Plus I was dead broke.
Buddy was a supervisor, said come on in I'll hire you for Christmas. Figured I'd get a teaching job in the spring.
Ended up driving for 32 years. It's not for everybody. Only you will be able to determine that. But I made a nice living
and got out in one piece. There's a whole lot worse places to work and make less money than UPS.