Thinking about leaving this bad place.

F

Frankie's Friend

I'm in the same boat OP. I've been a preloader for four months, and I'm questioning if I can stand it in the long run.

I thought things would improve after peak but it hasn't.

The pattern is the corporate human meat grinder vibe of just always pushing people harder and harder. Pushing the volume to the point of it being impossible to maintain egress on the entire pen.

Then of course, blaming the workers for any problems. The work is fine, it's the dehumanizing disregard from management that bothers me.

I'm considering other options
While youre considering options the first one would be to write a letter to your area OSHA office and report the egress violations. Sign your name. List your email address and phone no. The company will never find out who wrote it and since a signed letter was sent and received OSHA is forced to investigate.
You can always take another job opportunity. You cant always get the pleasure of watching your supes freak out when the osha agent(s) show up....
for months.

BrownThunder

I came in to talk sh_t.

I got nothing. Pretty much everything you said was on point. Still... when it's good it's good and although I complain every now and again I enjoy the work. The money ain't bad either, a six figure salary was only a fantasy before becoming a driver.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
I'm in the same boat OP. I've been a preloader for four months, and I'm questioning if I can stand it in the long run.

I thought things would improve after peak but it hasn't.

The pattern is the corporate human meat grinder vibe of just always pushing people harder and harder. Pushing the volume to the point of it being impossible to maintain egress on the entire pen.

Then of course, blaming the workers for any problems. The work is fine, it's the dehumanizing disregard from management that bothers me.

I'm considering other options

In my experience, I think it's most difficult the week or two just before peak, and a few days during the regular week than it is during actual peak. Other than going in at 3:30 am one day and told after shift to be there at 12:15 am the next morning. That was some bullpie. But I guess it depends on what routes you have to load. Commercial routes get a ton of bulk and furniture. It's not that bad if you keep it organized and figure out what should hins will need to be stacked under the shelves.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
I left UPS as a preloader for a public works job. I went to integrad and was planning on driving before the job offer for the city.

I work 7-330 with great benefits, 6 personal days, 2 weeks vacation a year to start, 15 (yes you read that right) sick days a year that you carry over and get paid out, pension, and only a 2 year progression where top rate is only about 4 an hour less than top rate drivers.

I owned a landscaping company and sold sold a large portion of it, but I kept enough to keep me busy after my full time job, and I'm still left with time to hang out with my daughter and girlfriend.

UPS isnt for everyone and those hours can really suck. You can really support your family with that pay and benefits , but you'll be missing out on a lot of time, which you'll never get back

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Think I care about you leaving? More work for me. Just left the lake. 9 rainbow trout in an hour and a half. Plus I caught 12 beers. At this rate I will be banned from this site by 3pm. Stay tuned

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hey man, I really appreciate your response. You seem like a genuinely great person and I love your attitude. I have a bachelors in psychology but there isn't really anything that I want to do with the degree. I chose psychology because I found it to be interesting and that's it. I refuse to go into management because they seem to be more miserable than the drivers and our on roads seem to work even longer hours. when and if I do ever have a family, I want to be able to get off at 5-6 PM and be able to coach little league or cook wife and kids dinner but I realize that may be a pipe dream here.
you are a communist

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Think I care about you leaving? More work for me. Just left the lake. 9 rainbow trout in an hour and a half. Plus I caught 12 beers. At this rate I will be banned from this site by 3pm. Stay tuned
You'll need more beer if you eat that trout. Come back down south and catch some crappie or channel cats. Nothing better as far as fish goes. I've heard walleye is good but they are north of us.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
You'll need more beer if you eat that trout. Come back down south and catch some crappie or channel cats. Nothing better as far as fish goes. I've heard walleye is good but they are north of us.
Some guy was telling me he caught a “monster” 2 pound cat here...I didn’t have the heart to tell him I’ve taken turds bigger than that