Thinking about leaving this bad place.

PizzaToUps

Hello all, I have been working for the ups company for two whole months now and I am thinking about leaving. I wanted to be a ups driver after having a career of delivering pizzas but after loading trucks for the last 60+ days I am second guessing if I want to become a driver for the next 25+ years. Here is what I learned in my 60 days as a preloader.

The drivers who come in are insanely depressed and worn out physically and mentally. I don't know how many drivers that I load for complain to dispatch because they were given an extra split or that their back hurts. These drivers complain that they have 200+ stops and pick ups. These people just seem like they hate their life but they have worked for the company for too damn long to think about leaving to start a new career. They feel that if they left now, all the years spent to be a driver would be a waste.

There is also another driver that I load for who works 10-12 hours a day and he just recently told me that he got a divorce and his wife gets the majority of the custody because he's never around to go to their softball games or back to school nights. He told me how depressing it is to leave his house in the dark to go to work and doesn't return home until after dark as well. He said its heart breaking to see families huddled around the living room watching a movie or eating dinner while he's delivering pointless Amazon packages at 8:30-9:00 PM.

The money made as a driver is great but I feel that a lot of drivers are trapped or complacent and stop counts are only going to rise in the future because it seems like management would rather pay 4 drivers 12 hours of work then pay 6 drivers 8 hours each.

It's depressing to me to see in the 60 days that I have been there so many people complaining that their knees are shot, that their backs ache, or that they think they tore something in the shoulder. I have seen a lot of people go on disability to get surgerys.

sorry for the rant, I just feel like you drivers go through a lot of crap and your home life suffers because of it due to the constant increases of stops and expectations and it doesn't seem to look any better in the future now that we are offering Saturday ground now. Yes the money is great but money doesn't buy happiness.

In addition, I know a lot of you hard workers are going to say things like "bye rookie, stupid millennial, or this guy doesn't get it" but I'm just reporting what I have seen as a preloader in my 60 days working at UPS and talking to some senior drivers. I respect all of you for what you do.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hello all, I have been working for the ups company for two whole months now and I am thinking about leaving. I wanted to be a ups driver after having a career of delivering pizzas but after loading trucks for the last 60+ days I am second guessing if I want to become a driver for the next 25+ years. Here is what I learned in my 60 days as a preloader.

The drivers who come in are insanely depressed and worn out physically and mentally. I don't know how many drivers that I load for complain to dispatch because they were given an extra split or that their back hurts. These drivers complain that they have 200+ stops and pick ups. These people just seem like they hate their life but they have worked for the company for too damn long to think about leaving to start a new career. They feel that if they left now, all the years spent to be a driver would be a waste.

There is also another driver that I load for who works 10-12 hours a day and he just recently told me that he got a divorce and his wife gets the majority of the custody because he's never around to go to their softball games or back to school nights. He told me how depressing it is to leave his house in the dark to go to work and doesn't return home until after dark as well. He said its heart breaking to see families huddled around the living room watching a movie or eating dinner while he's delivering pointless Amazon packages at 8:30-9:00 PM.

The money made as a driver is great but I feel that a lot of drivers are trapped or complacent and stop counts are only going to rise in the future because it seems like management would rather pay 4 drivers 12 hours of work then pay 6 drivers 8 hours each.

It's depressing to me to see in the 60 days that I have been there so many people complaining that their knees are shot, that their backs ache, or that they think they tore something in the shoulder. I have seen a lot of people go on disability to get surgerys.

sorry for the rant, I just feel like you drivers go through a lot of crap and your home life suffers because of it due to the constant increases of stops and expectations and it doesn't seem to look any better in the future now that we are offering Saturday ground now. Yes the money is great but money doesn't buy happiness.

In addition, I know a lot of you trolls are going to say things like "bye rookie, stupid millennial, or this guy doesn't get it" but I'm just reporting what I have seen as a preloader in my 60 days working at UPS and talking to some senior drivers. I respect all of you for what you do.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

In addition, I know a lot of you hard workers are going to say things like "bye rookie, stupid millennial, or this guy doesn't get it" but I'm just reporting what I have seen as a preloader in my 60 days working at UPS and talking to some senior drivers. I respect all of you for what you do.
The truth is the truth.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

“Career of delivering pizza”

Lmao!,

W

What The Hawk?

Don't quit just yet.

I was a helper on top of being a loader last peak, and that's when I KNEW I would love being a driver. I'm going to driver training next week after only being a loader for 14 months. It's only an Air Driver but it gets my foot in the door.

Another reason not to quit, they will help you pay for school.

Those drivers are everywhere. I get them too. But I've also met other drivers who love their job. They make upwards to $37 an hour to provide for themselves and their family WITHOUT anything above a high school diploma. That's pretty freaking sweet.

Don't quit based on emotion, I've been there. I had the same feelings. But I really want to be a driver. I've never wanted anything so bad in my entire life. I'm almost there. I'll have to be a driver for 30+ years. I'm pretty sure I can do that as long as I learn to be calm and take it one stop at a time.

Remember...more hours...more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Happiness isn't based on emotion or money, you're attitude towards life situation is what makes all the difference.

W

What The Hawk?

Also as far as the surgeries part goes, people get surgeries in all walks of life. I know several people who are cashiers who have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands.

If you do decided to stay and be a driver, or stay and work as a loader to get benefits and school aid just remember to work safely. That's your biggest lifeline. Don't hurt yourself over some boxes. That applies to mental and physical health. Sometimes I need a mental break too. LOL

Nothing good comes easy. Do you want a career with good pay, vacations and benefits so you can buy a house and support a family?

PizzaToUps

Also as far as the surgeries part goes, people get surgeries in all walks of life. I know several people who are cashiers who have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands.

If you do decided to stay and be a driver, or stay and work as a loader to get benefits and school aid just remember to work safely. That's your biggest lifeline. Don't hurt yourself over some boxes. That applies to mental and physical health. Sometimes I need a mental break too. LOL

Hey man, I really appreciate your response. You seem like a genuinely great person and I love your attitude. I have a bachelors in psychology but there isn't really anything that I want to do with the degree. I chose psychology because I found it to be interesting and that's it. I refuse to go into management because they seem to be more miserable than the drivers and our on roads seem to work even longer hours. when and if I do ever have a family, I want to be able to get off at 5-6 PM and be able to coach little league or cook wife and kids dinner but I realize that may be a pipe dream here.

PizzaToUps

Nothing good comes easy. Do you want a career with good pay, vacations and benefits so you can buy a house and support a family?

Yes the amazing benefits, vacation, and pay is a huge reason I'm sure all of you put up with all the crap management throws at you. With just a high school education, I don't think there is a better paying job out there.

I want to be able to support a family but I want to be part of the family as well. To me it just feels depressing knowing that I'll spend far more hours working for Brown than I would spend with the family. The 5 week vacation definitely makes up for it though so you do have a very strong point.

Yes the amazing benefits, vacation, and pay is a huge reason I'm sure all of you put up with all the crap management throws at you. With just a high school education, I don't think there is a better paying job out there.

I want to be able to support a family but I want to be part of the family as well. To me it just feels depressing knowing that I'll spend far more hours working for Brown than I would spend with the family. The 5 week vacation definitely makes up for it though so you do have a very strong point.
Many drivers have a college education. They make more here than the jobs they went to school for. I get six weeks vacation plus 10 additional days

W

What The Hawk?

Hey man, I really appreciate your response. You seem like a genuinely great person and I love your attitude. I have a bachelors in psychology but there isn't really anything that I want to do with the degree. I chose psychology because I found it to be interesting and that's it. I refuse to go into management because they seem to be more miserable than the drivers and our on roads seem to work even longer hours. when and if I do ever have a family, I want to be able to get off at 5-6 PM and be able to coach little league or cook wife and kids dinner but I realize that may be a pipe dream here.
That's do-able. It really depends on your experience as a driver and your willingness to get it done. I know a driver (was his helper) who took damn near 12 hours for a route that shouldn't have taken that much time to complete.

If you choose to stick with it, your spouse would need to be understanding, as they should be anyway. It isn't going to be easy for the first few years. You'll most likely be covering for other drivers or taking the crap routes. But in time you'll get your own route, and create systems that work for you in order to bust that route out.

It's cool you have a BA. I went to college but have no degree. I love criminal justice. In fact it's the only subject I got an A in. LOL. I just can't have a career in it because it would depress me. Our CJ system is horrid, I would be angry and drunk all the time.