This Day in History

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
4/26
1997 - U.S.A. Woolworths
1997 : Woolworths announces losses for the first quarter of the new fiscal year of $24 million, this followed $37 million in losses during the previous fiscal year. These losses forced the Woolworths chain to close its remaining discount stores before the end of the year ending over 130 years of history.

Covemastah

4/28
1967 - U.S.A. Muhammad Ali
1967 : Heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali appears for his scheduled induction into the U.S. Armed Forces in Houston, he refused three times to step forward at the call of his name. He is then warned by an officer that failing to answer to his name was a felony punishable by five years in prison and a fine of $10,000. He still refused to budge when his name was called. On the same day, the New York State Athletic Commission suspended his boxing license and stripped him of his title.

Covemastah

4/29
1945 - Germany Dachau Concentration Camp
1945 : Dachau concentration camp was liberated today when troops of the U.S. Seventh Army cleared the enemy guards from the camp where gruesome torture rooms and gas chambers were located.

oldngray

nowhere special
picdump_3731_45.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
I couldn't even imagine what these poor men would think of today's world , my uncle Leo was around 19 yrs old in the 7th
Under Patton when he walked into Dachau ,, He mentioned it briefly , but never went into it that much
Patton made everyone see it for themselves because otherwise it would have been almost unbelievable.

Covemastah

5/5

1961 U.S.A. Alan B. Shepard Jr​

1961 : Alan B. Shepard Jr became the first American in space today after soaring 115 miles above the earth in a spacecraft named Freedom 7.

Covemastah

This Day in Red Sox History May 6, 1915
Babe Hits his First HR at the Polo Grounds

At the Polo Grounds, Red Sox rookie pitcher Babe Ruth collects three hits, including his first home run. Homer number one, as well as homer number two, hit two weeks later, comes off Yankees' hurler Jack 'Crab' Warhop.
AC26A0A6-2FC7-40DC-AD27-D38359EF0CDC.png

Covemastah

5/12

1932 U.S.A. Lindbergh Baby Found Dead​

1932 : The Baby son kidnapped from Charles Lindbergh was found dead just miles away from the Lindbergh home today.

cachmeifucan

Pope John Paul II is shot and wounded at St. Peter’s Square in Rome, Italy. Turkish terrorist Mehmet Ali Agca, an escaped fugitive already convicted of a previous murder, fired several shots at the religious leader, two of which wounded nearby tourists. Agca was immediately captured.
The real pope. Best pope

Covemastah

5/17

1973 U.S.A. Watergate​

1973 : The investigation of Watergate by the Senate begins televised hearings on the Watergate scandal.

Covemastah

5/18

1980 U.S.A. Mount St. Helens​

1980 : Mount St. Helens located in the Cascade Range erupted and blasted 1,300 ft off it's top that sent hot mud, gas and ashes running down it's slopes 9 casualties have so far been identified with a further 48 persons missing presumed dead, the explosion sent plumes of dark gray ash some 60,000 feet in the air which blocked out the rays from the sun making it seem like night over eastern Washington.

Covemastah

5/20 / 1976

@MyTripisCut
I remember this , was watching with my father ,, He actually swore out load which he never did at home , afraid of my mother !!
Fn Nettles !! My eyes lit up !! lol