This Day in History

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
26 Aug, 1920 U.S.A. 19th Amendment

1920 : The 19th Amendment, guaranteeing women the right to vote, is formally adopted into the U.S. Constitution. Find More What happened in 1920.

38E7C761-6AEE-40B6-88B0-54D5D42028AF.gif

Covemastah

8/27 1967

1967 - Brian Epstein
British music entrepreneur and the manager of The Beatles, Brian Epstein was found dead, locked in a bedroom at his London home. A coroner's inquest concluded that Epstein died from an overdose of the sleeping pill Carbitrol.

Covemastah

August 30 1918
The greatest hitter who ever lived
And John Glenn's greatest wingman
Ted Williams was born
521 homers , 344 career batting average
And a marine combat pilot who landed a shot up
Fighter plane
AA45DEF7-4DB0-4608-9527-012EEDF697EF.png

Covemastah

9/1/1945 At 7:56 p.m. Eastern time on Sept. 1, 1945 (it was 8:56 a.m. on Sept. 2, 1945 aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay), Japanese officials formally signed the surrender, officially ending World War II. Read about VJ Day in our online coverage here: World War II the Final Chapter

Covemastah

5 Sept, 1972 Israel Athletes Attacked During Olympics​

September 5th, 1972 : Members of the Arab terrorist group known as Black September attack the Israel Athletes Compound in Munich Germany during the Olympic games killing two athletes and demanding the release of 236 Arab prisoners and a plane. During the transfer of the terrorists and their captives from helicopters to the aircraft German police mounted an attack during which all the Israeli hostages were killed and 3 of the terrorists.

trickpony1

5 Sept, 1972 Israel Athletes Attacked During Olympics​

September 5th, 1972 : Members of the Arab terrorist group known as Black September attack the Israel Athletes Compound in Munich Germany during the Olympic games killing two athletes and demanding the release of 236 Arab prisoners and a plane. During the transfer of the terrorists and their captives from helicopters to the aircraft German police mounted an attack during which all the Israeli hostages were killed and 3 of the terrorists.
I believe Israel hunted down those responsible and killed them.
It took a number of years but......

Covemastah

Sept, 1915 England First Tank​

1915 : The first tank sponsored by the First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill was produced named Little Willie in a factory in England, before the end of World War I the British were using them to fight the Germans.

Covemastah

9/9/1919
Boston Police Strike, (1919), strike of about 80 percent of Boston’s police force protesting the opposition to their attempt to organize a union. The Boston police force, which had sought affiliation with the American Federation of Labor after World War I, was denied the right to unionize by the city’s police commissioner. On September 9, 1919, the police went on strike.

Covemastah

My great grandfather was a Boston Cop , about a yr shy of his pension , They were all fired
This is a pic of him doing a World Series detail at the old Huntington Grounds , RedSox played there before Fenway was built !!
6816AACE-77DC-4725-98E1-F781D812B82A.png

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
What a day !!
God Dam awful , I saw it on tv live at my second stop , the woman in the office were screaming out of control ,, my sister was a Flight Attendant for American and couldn't get a hold of her , she had just flown past the towers earlier and had safely landed in Logan
It was indeed a very long day.

Covemastah

13 Sept, 1971 Attica Prison Riots​

1971 : Riots in Attica Prison have finally ended after four days with the loss of life of 33 inmates and 11 prison employees, the cause of the riots by inmates is thought to have been due to 3 correction officers and a trooper committing unprovoked attacks on prisoners which were not reprimanded or punished.