This Day in History

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

16 Sept, 1978 U.S.A. Leon Spinks​

September 16th, 1978 : Leon Spinks lost his WBA heavyweight title to Muhammed Ali last night to become World Champion for a record 3rd time with a 15 round unanimous decision.

1631775092346.gif

Last edited:

Covemastah

20 Sept, 1973 Tennis Match Deemed Battle of the Sexes​

1973 : The much publicized battle of the sexes in Tennis for $100,000 between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome ends with Billie Jean King beating Bobby Riggs in straight sets 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 watched by a worldwide television audience of 50 million.

oldngray

nowhere special

20 Sept, 1973 Tennis Match Deemed Battle of the Sexes​

1973 : The much publicized battle of the sexes in Tennis for $100,000 between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome ends with Billie Jean King beating Bobby Riggs in straight sets 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 watched by a worldwide television audience of 50 million.
A hyped for TV event. Riggs was 55 and well past his prime playing one of the world's best women players 26 years younger than him.

Covemastah

21 Sept, 1998 Clinton Grand Jury Testimony Shown On TV​

1998 : Bill Clinton's testimony about his possible affair with Monica Lewinsky as shown on public television for the first time. The president was forced to defend previous statements about the exact nature of his affair and whether he had previously lied under oath.

Covemastah

They got it right !!

25 Sept, 2009 Poland Chemically Castrate Sex Offenders​

2009 : The Polish parliament passed a law that made it mandatory to chemically castrate sex offenders who raped children under fifteen or relatives. The law came as a part of a bill that increased the penalties for pedophilia.

Covemastah

26 Sept, 1969 The Beatles "Abbey Road Album"​

1969 : The Beatles release the "Abbey Road Album " in the UK (US Release date October 1st 1969). The album is the 11th official album released

Big Babooba

23 Oct, 1983 - Lebanon Suicide Bomber
October 23rd, 1983 : A suicide bomber drives a truck packed with explosives into the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, killing 241 military personnel.
A good friend of mine lost his brother in that bombing. I was working preload just before Christmas when 3 boxes of his personal effects came down the belt for the trucks that I was loading. My eyes still tear up when I think of that night.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
A good friend of mine lost his brother in that bombing. I was working preload just before Christmas when 3 boxes of his personal effects came down the belt for the trucks that I was loading. My eyes still tear up when I think of that night.
That’s a tough one brother

Covemastah

A major stain on baseball,, and to the Roger Marris family , millions are with you on Roger still holding that record !!

27 Sept, 1998 U.S.A. Mark McGwire​

1998 : Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals breaks the single-season home run record (held by Roger Maris) hitting his record-setting 69th and 70th home runs during the last game of the season against the Montreal Expos.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
A major stain on baseball,, and to the Roger Marris family , millions are with you on Roger still holding that record !!

27 Sept, 1998 U.S.A. Mark McGwire​

1998 : Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals breaks the single-season home run record (held by Roger Maris) hitting his record-setting 69th and 70th home runs during the last game of the season against the Montreal Expos.
It should be deleted along with big head Bonds record

Covemastah

Ruth set the record with 29 in 1919 in Boston, then the 60 in 1927 , I think only Jimmy Foxx came close to that until Mantle & Marris in 61 , then in 98
You had three possible breakers ? Sosa , Bonds and McGwire !!
yes Bull sheet

Covemastah

30 Sept, 1955 U.S.A. James Dean​

1955 : James Dean the well known young Movie Star who starred in Rebel Without A Cause dies at the age of 24 in a car crash in his Porsche in California.

Covemastah

9 Oct, 2012 United States Sandusky Sentenced​

2012 : Former football coach at Penn State, Jerry Sandusky, was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison after being convicted of forty-five molestation charges. Lawyers from Sandusky stated that they were planning to appeal the decision.

Covemastah

15 Oct, 1946 Germany Herman Goering​

1946 : Herman Goering the former head of the Gestapo commits suicide rather than facing the death sentence he had been given of being hung the next day.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Ruth set the record with 29 in 1919 in Boston, then the 60 in 1927 , I think only Jimmy Foxx came close to that until Mantle & Marris in 61 , then in 98
You had three possible breakers ? Sosa , Bonds and McGwire !!
yes Bull sheet
baseball jumped the shark for me before this. during the strike.
but this was the straw that......

even the red sox winning the series didnt bring me back......