This Day in History

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

30 Oct, 1974 Zaire Muhammad Ali​

1974 : Muhammad Ali regains The Heavyweight Title by knocking out George Foreman in the eighth round during the fight billed as "Rumble In The Jungle."

Muhammad Ali Public Domain Photo
I was listening to this on the radio in 1974.in the car at inspiration point.
scored twice. one was a bet.
what a night.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
11/4/1979. Iran. Student followers of the Ayatollah Khomeini send shock waves across America when they storm the U.S. embassy in Tehran. The radical Islamic fundamentalists took 90 hostages. The students were enraged that the deposed Shah had been allowed to enter the United States for medical treatment and they threatened to murder hostages if any rescue was attempted. Days later, Iran’s provincial leader resigned, and the Ayatollah Khomeini, the leader of Iran’s fundamentalist revolutionaries, took full control of the country—and the fate of the hostages.

Covemastah

11/10/75

SS Edmund Fitzgeraldwas an American Great Lakes freighter that sank in Lake Superior during a storm on November 10, 1975, with the loss of the entire crew of 29 men. When launched on June 7, 1958, she was the largest ship on North America's Great Lakes, and she remains the largest to have sunk there. She was located in deep water on November 14, 1975, by a U.S. Navy aircraft detecting magnetic anomalies, and found soon afterwards to be in two large pieces.

Covemastah

11/13

1942 World War II - - Minimum Draft Age​

US President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed into law a bill that lowered the minimum draft age from 21 to 18.

Covemastah

11/17 / 1973
1973: In a televised appearance President Richard Nixon told the nation today, "I am not a crook." referring to allegations concerning his involvement in the Watergate scandal.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
11/17 / 1973
1973: In a televised appearance President Richard Nixon told the nation today, "I am not a crook." referring to allegations concerning his involvement in the Watergate scandal.
i was still pretty naive in 73 being in high school but this scandal is what made me understand never trust anyone in government.
The turning point from idealist to realist.

Covemastah

12/1

2001 United States - - End Of TWA​

The last Trans World Airlines ( TWA ) flight "Flight 220" flies into St. Louis International Airport ending 76 years of TWA operations following TWA's purchase by American Airlines

Covemastah

12/3 /79

1979 U.S.A. - - Who Concert​

Eleven Who fans are killed and dozens are injured in a crush of people trying to get into the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio. when thousands of fans (with first-come, first-served festival seating tickets) rush towards the locked doors when they mistook the sound check for the concert having started.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
12/7/41 No mention of Pearl Harbor Day today anywhere I looked.

Are they gonna dismiss this also???

My Dad was stationed at Pearl a short while after the attack. When I was about 11-12 I asked him about it and he said "I don't want to talk about that. "

At the time i did not understand but I did when i got older.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

My Dad was stationed at Pearl a short while after the attack. When I was about 11-12 I asked him about it and he said "I don't want to talk about that. "

Weren’t you firing one of the anti aircraft guns?

tumblr_nspe61vn3k1qa1fz4o1_400.gif

Covemastah

12/14 /2012
The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting occurred on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, United States, when 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 26 people, including 20 children between six and seven years old, and six adult staff members. Earlier that day, before driving to the school, he shot and killed his mother at their Newtown home. As first responders arrived at the school, Lanza committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.

Covemastah

12/16 1944

1944 Belgium -- Battle of the Bulge​

The Battle of the Bulge during World War II began as German forces launched a surprise counterattack against Allied forces at Ardennes Belgium . The Battle of the Bulge was the bloodiest of the battles that U.S. forces experienced in World War II with over 19,000 American soldiers killed

Covemastah

12/17

1903 U.S.A -- Orville and Wright​

1903 : Orville and Wilbur Wright made the first successful man-powered airplane flight, near Kitty Hawk, N.C. . The craft is referred to as an airship and Orville and Wright are looking for buyers for their machine which is capable of speeds up to 10 mph.