This Day in History

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Exactly. I thought I was the luckiest kid in the world in 1967 ( age 11 ). I watched or listened to every Red Sox game that year, sometimes bringing my transister radio to school with earplug.
The year before they finished in 9th place so 1967 was HUGE. 54 years later I can still name every position player on the roster including most of the pitchers and utility players that helped contribute to the pennant.

That stellar team. Those of us there can never forget Tony C. who was thought to be the next Ruth until his career was ended by a pitch that almost killed him. Hawk Harrellson (sp ) who was the Joe Namath of the day and many others. Yaz was given "God" status. He could have run for governor of Massachusetts and won. I wore out the LP record "The Impossible Dream " about the 1967 Red Sox season.

It was a grand time to be a kid growing up during that time. We traded baseball cards and would throw them up against the outside school wall. The closest being the winner. A "leany" would win over almost anything. There would be bitter arguments on whose leany was higher. You could knock down a leany and win.

I would cash in Coke bottles at 2 cents each so I could buy a pack of baseball cards for 5 cents. There was nothing better than opening up that pack to see what you got. I had a trunkload of baseball cards from the 60's as well as comic books that my folks threw away when I was 18 and had moved away from home. A FORTUNE that could have paid for college.

That is the biggest thing I miss about Boston and New England. A GREAT sports town, Bruins, Celtics, Sox, Patriots. People came together over sports and it seemed like our world was at peace during the pennant race, the playoffs, the Stanley Cup , etc. Everyone was a "pal" and if you were down on your luck someone would always buy you a beer at the "bah"

Thanks for bringing up these memories.
Get a room

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

22 Oct, 1914 U.S.A. First Income Tax​

1914 : Congress pass the Revenue Act mandating the first tax on incomes over $3,000

Covemastah

23 Oct, 1983 Lebanon Suicide Bomber​

October 23rd, 1983 : A suicide bomber drives a truck packed with explosives into the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, killing 241 military personnel.

Covemastah

26 Oct, 2008 Egypt Wife Swapping Couple Arrested​

2008 : Egyptian police arrest a senior civil servant and his wife accusing them of swapping sex partners with other couples during "swinger" parties. Extra-marital sex is illegal in the country, where the constitution says Islamic law is the main source of legislation.

floridays

I was pumping gas at a station along the Weymouth/Braintree line while this unbelievable game was going on.
After Fisk hit that homer people were going NUTS. I got so many tips , money, joints, beers , etc.
It was the most fun night.

My best friend and I went to one of these games earlier that they lost by one run. The only WS game I ever went to.
Nothing better than Fenway Park any day.
Ok, tramp.

floridays

I agree that this game was probably THE best or close to the greatest WS game in history. People dismiss it because it was not a the WS winner. It was the 6th game that tied series at 3-3-and then the RS lost the 7th.

there are many great WS games. I can name a half dozen off top of head but this 6th game in 1975 was the best in my life. I had to listen on radio but they were so good announcing it , it was almost like being there. I was 19.
You're still a trick.

floridays

It was one of the best cuz it hit us so close because we are new Englanders , brings us back to our youth , you in late teens , me as an 11 yr old playing ball with my boyhood buddies and thinking back to simpler times , you as a late teen getting out and partying with buds , a time long ago but the memories of tiant , Yaz , Rico Lynn rice Evans will last us a lifetime , as bill lee said , the Sox won that series 3 games to 4
I understand what you say, good times, life itself.
Luis Tiant, oh man.

floridays

Exactly. I thought I was the luckiest kid in the world in 1967 ( age 11 ). I watched or listened to every Red Sox game that year, sometimes bringing my transister radio to school with earplug.
The year before they finished in 9th place so 1967 was HUGE. 54 years later I can still name every position player on the roster including most of the pitchers and utility players that helped contribute to the pennant.

That stellar team. Those of us there can never forget Tony C. who was thought to be the next Ruth until his career was ended by a pitch that almost killed him. Hawk Harrellson (sp ) who was the Joe Namath of the day and many others. Yaz was given "God" status. He could have run for governor of Massachusetts and won. I wore out the LP record "The Impossible Dream " about the 1967 Red Sox season.

It was a grand time to be a kid growing up during that time. We traded baseball cards and would throw them up against the outside school wall. The closest being the winner. A "leany" would win over almost anything. There would be bitter arguments on whose leany was higher. You could knock down a leany and win.

I would cash in Coke bottles at 2 cents each so I could buy a pack of baseball cards for 5 cents. There was nothing better than opening up that pack to see what you got. I had a trunkload of baseball cards from the 60's as well as comic books that my folks threw away when I was 18 and had moved away from home. A FORTUNE that could have paid for college.

That is the biggest thing I miss about Boston and New England. A GREAT sports town, Bruins, Celtics, Sox, Patriots. People came together over sports and it seemed like our world was at peace during the pennant race, the playoffs, the Stanley Cup , etc. Everyone was a "pal" and if you were down on your luck someone would always buy you a beer at the "bah"

Thanks for bringing up these memories.
You sound like a good chick, all joking aside, you had and enjoyed a great childhood like me, with sports at the center.
You were luckier, I lived in Miami. No teams but I loved the Yankees, thanks Grandpap.
I got my first baseball cards when my grandparents neighbor put their sons on the curb in Coral Gables, Florida.
Memories are great.
I love people that love sports and their team(s) when it wasn't what it is now.

I miss those days of innocence. Good days.

Covemastah

30 Oct, 1974 Zaire Muhammad Ali​

1974 : Muhammad Ali regains The Heavyweight Title by knocking out George Foreman in the eighth round during the fight billed as "Rumble In The Jungle."

Muhammad Ali Public Domain Photo