This Day in History

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
4/13
1943 - U.S.A. Alcatraz Attempted Escape
1943 : Four convicts attempted to escape from the prison at Alcatraz today. Two were drowned in San Francisco Bay after being shot and the other two were recaptured.

Covemastah

4/14​

1912​

Sinking of the Titanic, The Titanic sets sail on her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York. The Titanic had been described as the worlds most luxurious floating hotel which is unsinkable, and was only 5 days out when she hit an iceberg and sank in the Atlantic with the loss of many lives

Covemastah

4/14
1865 - U.S.A. Lincoln Assassination
1865 : President Lincoln is shot and mortally wounded by John Wilkes Booth while attending the comedy Our American Cousin at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C. He died the next day.

Covemastah

4/17
1970 - U.S.A. Apollo 13
1970 : Apollo 13, the U.S. lunar spacecraft that suffered oxygen tank No. 2 blowing up in the spacecraft on its journey to the moon, safely returns to Earth landing in the Pacific Ocean.

Covemastah

4/19
1995 - U.S.A. Oklahoma Bombing
1995 : A truck full of explosives destroyed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, killing 168 people. In 1997, Timothy McVeigh was convicted of the bombing and on June 11, 2001 he was executed by lethal injection.

Covemastah

4/20

1999​

Two students enter Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado and open fire with multiple firearms, killing 13 students and teachers, wounding 25 and eventually shooting themselves.

Covemastah

4/21
1918 - "The Red Baron" German Fighter Ace Killed
1918 : Baron Manfred von Richthofen, the German ace known as the "Red Baron," credited with 80 confirmed air combat victories was killed in action during World War I.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
4/21
1918 - "The Red Baron" German Fighter Ace Killed
1918 : Baron Manfred von Richthofen, the German ace known as the "Red Baron," credited with 80 confirmed air combat victories was killed in action during World War I.
He’s lucky Ted Williams wasn’t flying yet or it woulda happened sooner.

Covemastah

4/22
1915 - Belgium Poison Gas
1915 : Poison gas is used by the Germans for the first time in World War I with devastating effect

Covemastah

4/24

1980​

A rescue attempt of the U.S. hostages held in Iran fails when a plane collides with a helicopter in the Iranian desert.