This made me laugh

browner89

Yep and they pay us to do it.

^ best answer in the thread. Yep. We have a stretching powow on the dot of every shift start. Paid to do something actually useful and not involving any work. Too bad it's only two stretches and neither is done to the correct length as all stretches should.

IMO Every shift/sort start should involve a series of 5-10 stretches covering the full body, held for at least 20 seconds per side of body, and should be done a second time mid shift, if the company ACTUALLY cares about safety.

I come from a military and physically active background so I actually understand the importance of proper stretches for a proper amount of time. Doing a standing hamstring stretch for 3 and a half seconds doesn't accomplish anything.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our center doesn't do toe touches anymore because someone injured their back doing them one morning. Terribly ironic.
At PCMS either AM/drivers or inside, we always joke about this....yet always knew it must happen, somewhere, sometime.

The whole point of these newer rigid-guideline PCM's is a method for UPS to exert it's authority and structure, right from the punch-in. As mentioned, if safety mattered, the stretching exercises would be made useful and productive.

Last edited:

Octave

Preload safety tip one of the days this past week was: "Remember safety when setting up holiday decorations at home."

I'm just glad we don't do them as we're supposed to, maybe once a month. The problem for preload is they don't give us time for it. I'm expected to lead the PCM and have people stretch and all that jazz for the appropriate amount of time, but if I do that we're all backed up to pickoff and everyone is pissed.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
There is a company in Phoenix that was doing this at the start of their shift daily during the dot com bust days. They were handling pallets of beer and the stretches were said to reduce the work place injuries.