this story never seems to go away

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
McCain’s Canal Zone Birth Prompts Queries About Whether That Rules Him Out
28mccain.600.jpg

From left, LOWELL P. WEICKER JR., of Connecticut, born in Paris, was told he was eligible for the Oval Office. GEORGE ROMNEY, born in Mexico, ran for the presidency in 1968. BARRY GOLDWATER was born in the Arizona territory in 1909, before it became a state. CHESTER A. ARTHUR was born in Vermont, but rumors suggested it was Canada.

By CARL HULSE
Published: February 28, 2008
WASHINGTON — The question has nagged at the parents of Americans born outside the continental United States for generations: Dare their children aspire to grow up and become president? In the case of Senator John McCain of Arizona, the issue is becoming more than a matter of parental daydreaming.

Mr. McCain’s likely nomination as the Republican candidate for president and the happenstance of his birth in the Panama Canal Zone in 1936 are reviving a musty debate that has surfaced periodically since the founders first set quill to parchment and declared that only a “natural-born citizen” can hold the nation’s highest office.
Almost since those words were written in 1787 with scant explanation, their precise meaning has been the stuff of confusion, law school review articles, whisper campaigns and civics class debates over whether only those delivered on American soil can be truly natural born. To date, no American to take the presidential oath has had an official birthplace outside the 50 states.
“There are powerful arguments that Senator McCain or anyone else in this position is constitutionally qualified, but there is certainly no precedent,” said Sarah H. Duggin, an associate professor of law at Catholic University who has studied the issue extensively. “It is not a slam-dunk situation.”
Mr. McCain was born on a military installation in the Canal Zone, where his mother and father, a Navy officer, were stationed. His campaign advisers say they are comfortable that Mr. McCain meets the requirement and note that the question was researched for his first presidential bid in 1999 and reviewed again this time around.
But given mounting interest, the campaign recently asked Theodore B. Olson, a former solicitor general now advising Mr. McCain, to prepare a detailed legal analysis. “I don’t have much doubt about it,” said Mr. Olson, who added, though, that he still needed to finish his research.
Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina and one of Mr. McCain’s closest allies, said it would be incomprehensible to him if the son of a military member born in a military station could not run for president.
“He was posted there on orders from the United States government,” Mr. Graham said of Mr. McCain’s father. “If that becomes a problem, we need to tell every military family that your kid can’t be president if they take an overseas assignment.”
The phrase “natural born” was in early drafts of the Constitution. Scholars say notes of the Constitutional Convention give away little of the intent of the framers. Its origin may be traced to a letter from John Jay to George Washington, with Jay suggesting that to prevent foreigners from becoming commander in chief, the Constitution needed to “declare expressly” that only a natural-born citizen could be president.
Ms. Duggin and others who have explored the arcane subject in depth say legal argument and basic fairness may indeed be on the side of Mr. McCain, a longtime member of Congress from Arizona. But multiple experts and scholarly reviews say the issue has never been definitively resolved by either Congress or the Supreme Court.
Ms. Duggin favors a constitutional amendment to settle the matter. Others have called on Congress to guarantee that Americans born outside the national boundaries can legitimately see themselves as potential contenders for the Oval Office.
“They ought to have the same rights,” said Don Nickles, a former Republican senator from Oklahoma who in 2004 introduced legislation that would have established that children born abroad to American citizens could harbor presidential ambitions without a legal cloud over their hopes. “There is some ambiguity because there has never been a court case on what ‘natural-born citizen’ means.”
Mr. McCain’s situation is different from those of the current governors of California and Michigan, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jennifer M. Granholm, who were born in other countries and were first citizens of those nations, rendering them naturalized Americans ineligible under current interpretations. The conflict that could conceivably ensnare Mr. McCain goes more to the interpretation of “natural born” when weighed against intent and decades of immigration law.
Mr. McCain is not the first person to find himself in these circumstances. The last Arizona Republican to be a presidential nominee, Barry Goldwater, faced the issue. He was born in the Arizona territory in 1909, three years before it became a state. But Goldwater did not win, and the view at the time was that since he was born in a continental territory that later became a state, he probably met the standard.
It also surfaced in the 1968 candidacy of George Romney, who was born in Mexico, but again was not tested. The former Connecticut politician Lowell P. Weicker Jr., born in Paris, sought a legal analysis when considering the presidency, an aide said, and was assured he was eligible. Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. was once viewed as a potential successor to his father, but was seen by some as ineligible since he had been born on Campobello Island in Canada. The 21st president, Chester A. Arthur, whose birthplace is Vermont, was rumored to have actually been born in Canada, prompting some to question his eligibility.
Quickly recognizing confusion over the evolving nature of citizenship, the First Congress in 1790 passed a measure that did define children of citizens “born beyond the sea, or out of the limits of the United States to be natural born.” But that law is still seen as potentially unconstitutional and was overtaken by subsequent legislation that omitted the “natural-born” phrase.
Mr. McCain’s citizenship was established by statutes covering the offspring of Americans abroad and laws specific to the Canal Zone as Congress realized that Americans would be living and working in the area for extended periods. But whether he qualifies as natural-born has been a topic of Internet buzz for months, with some declaring him ineligible while others assert that he meets all the basic constitutional qualifications — a natural-born citizen at least 35 years of age with 14 years of residence.
“I don’t think he has any problem whatsoever,” said Mr. Nickles, a McCain supporter. “But I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if somebody is going to try to make an issue out of it. If it goes to court, I think he will win.”
Lawyers who have examined the topic say there is not just confusion about the provision itself, but uncertainty about who would have the legal standing to challenge a candidate on such grounds, what form a challenge could take and whether it would have to wait until after the election or could be made at any time.
In a paper written 20 years ago for the Yale Law Journal on the natural-born enigma, Jill Pryor, now a lawyer in Atlanta, said that any legal challenge to a presidential candidate born outside national boundaries would be “unpredictable and unsatisfactory.”
“If I were on the Supreme Court, I would decide for John McCain,” Ms. Pryor said in a recent interview. “But it is certainly not a frivolous issue.”
More Articles in US »

HMMM??

tieguy

Banned
2 points on this.

First, the woman in question is the "half-sister" of his father. Hardly a blood line connection. But to a republican looking to start trouble, I guess they could call it whatever "they" want.

Obama has no responsibility for this woman. A distant connection hardly makes a value or beloved. Obama has no obligation to do anything for this woman. No exageration makes this a viable campaign issue.

Second, how does this "non-Issue" make McCain qualified to be president?

Have'nt you all learned anything in these last three weeks??

This kind of nonsense is not RESONATING with the voters other than those already predispositioned to vote for McCain simply because he is republican.

2 days to go.

A new president will be elected and life can move on. Except for you guys looking under rocks.:sick:

I believe his aunt was lovingly mentioned in one of his books. I guess thats how Obama treats family. Wonder how he will treat those who are not family?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I believe his aunt was lovingly mentioned in one of his books. I guess thats how Obama treats family. Wonder how he will treat those who are not family?

Too bad this is only an issue to you and a handful of others, shame you wasted your brainwaves on it.

:winks:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
So tos, are you ever going to answer my question............Just what has obama done to be called ( by others ) a leader ?
I know I posted that on another thread but you still have not replied.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So tos, are you ever going to answer my question............Just what has obama done to be called ( by others ) a leader ?

BABAGANOUSH,
Allow me to answer you around 10pm est time tomorrow. By then, OBAMA will be president and youll have your answer.

chev

Nightcrawler
BABAGANOUSH,
Allow me to answer you around 10pm est time tomorrow. By then, OBAMA will be president and youll have your answer.
TOSSER,
That will STILL not answer the question. This is not a question of how many sheep are going to blindly follow him to the slaughter. It is a question of his merit. What has he DONE (that would be past tense) to be recognized as a leader worthy of leading the greatest nation in the world.:wink2:

BTW diesel96.... I am standing up. I can't help it if I am short.:laughing:

diesel96

TOSSER,
That will STILL not answer the question. This is not a question of how many sheep are going to blindly follow him to the slaughter. It is a question of his merit. What has he DONE (that would be past tense) to be recognized as a leader worthy of leading the greatest nation in the world.:wink2:

BTW diesel96.... I am standing up. I can't help it if I am short.:laughing:
Chev ????? Not sure what to make of that...lol.......except maybe a napoleon complex....JK

Anyhow here's Barack's resume besides running a remarkable campaign that dwarfs the budget and number of employee of the city of Wasilla:
****OBAMA Supporters! Here's a list of Barack's Accomplishments while in the US Senate!*** - Democratic Underground

So you're saying Palin did a better job at running STATE than 0 did at running a campaign. I'm sure she appreciates the compliment.
0 spending that much on his run for President is zilch compared to what he will spend of your tax dollars. I'm happy you are good with that kind of waste.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
BABAGANOUSH,

By 10pm EST the bias media will have declared the conman winner, maybe. But its still up to the Electoral College in January to decide who won.
Then we still have to wait until someone is sworn in to call him The President.
( curious if it is O , you think he'll use The Koran again? )

And I'm still waiting for your answer. ( but I know you will never reply, because you can't )

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Anyhow here's Barack's resume besides running a remarkable campaign that dwarfs the budget and number of employee of the city of Wasilla:

Why are you using this line of thought ? Why O vs Palin ? Its rather odd ? The main & someone else's second . The voters picked one vs one who was asked to share a ticket. How about comparing the two main ones, now that would make some sense.
Or are you a sexist ? A powerful woman scares the crap out of you.

I would not call this campaign remarkable , other than the lack of any real reporting by the media. Where are the in-depth stories about O , his background, just who does he turn to for advise, his past , his real goals.
I'm still out raged of his treatment of the "reporters " he had thrown off of his plane just because their papers endorsed McCain. If there were any real reporters on the plane when they saw this they all would have left. This cowardly act shows his true colors , he wants absolute control .

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Why are you using this line of thought ? Why O vs Palin ? Its rather odd ? The main & someone else's second . The voters picked one vs one who was asked to share a ticket. How about comparing the two main ones, now that would make some sense.

Babaganoush, its your beloved FOX news and Rush Limbagh who are doing the comparing between Obama and Palin. FOX is always showing Palin rallies in their entirety because of the larger crowds shes draws vs McCains pathetic outings. RUSH is always talking abut Sarah having large crowds and Obamas crowds shrinking (guess he was wrong about that as well as everything else)

I would not call this campaign remarkable , other than the lack of any real reporting by the media.
Rush and Fox have done a good job in selling you the snakeoil on hating the media. Driveby this, liberal press that. I am sure you believe by now that the only two sources for information come from FOX and RUSH.

Why do you think that is? The republicans for the last 8 years have gone on an attack on the press in all forms, the reason, to get people to distrust other sources of information.

With this election, there are those who would have rather seen the "enquirer" effect rather than journalism. I am sure that you would have rather seen all the skeletons in Obamas closet on tv each and every night to make you feel better.

But, havent the media been just as fair with McCain?

The media layed off his collaborating with the enemy in vietnam and ratting out his comrades positions. They layed off his lame military record, they layed off his finishing near the bottom of his class, they layed off his Keating 5 scandals, they layed off his senate votes that are contrary to "his" todays positions, they layed off ALL his flip flops on issues, they layed off his womanizing over the years and most of all, they layed off the fact that he is a Cheating, Adultrous, Lying and Backstabbing Heartless husband who when he arrived back in the states and found that his wife was not the same as when he left, decided to have an affair with a 23 year old for a year and begin living with her at the same time as living with his wife. Then he abandons his children for the wealthy younger woman.

This does not "GOOD CHARACTER" MAKE.

I think, the media has been MORE THAN fair to McCain. Maybe you would want fairness, and both Obamas and McCains personal junk aired hour after hour so you can get the info you seem desperate to hear in order to make a character judgement??

Where are the in-depth stories about O , his background, just who does he turn to for advise, his past , his real goals.
O-Brother.

I'm still out raged of his treatment of the "reporters " he had thrown off of his plane just because their papers endorsed McCain.
My, how the rush limbaugh effect grabs your common sense. The drudge report who reported this story makes up whatever he wants and RUSH runs with it. With the questions to Obama getting more stupid by the minute, Obama and his staff are entitled to place people on a plane with real journalistic intent, and not knuckleheads from the RNC sent on a mission with lame questions.

If there were any real reporters on the plane when they saw this they all would have left. This cowardly act shows his true colors , he wants absolute control .

Absolute control? Its his plane. Its his campaign? How many democratic operatives were on McCains plane this whole time? Name them.

C'mon man, its election day, can you find a recent topic to quench your thirst for an excuse for McCains loss??

Every expert in the country has McCain losing big. Get over it already, go vote, tell your friends to vote, stand on a corner and tell people to vote, make a few calls to tell people to vote, then you can say you did all you could to help your candidate.

Complaining on a blog wont help.:its_all_good:

tieguy

Banned
TOS it appears you have still not been able to answer the question as to why an aunt warmly mentioned in obamas book was found living in government subsidized squalor on an expired visa?

Is this how Obama warmly remembers family members?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS it appears you have still not been able to answer the question as to why an aunt warmly mentioned in obamas book was found living in government subsidized squalor on an expired visa?

Is this how Obama warmly remembers family members?

Get over it dude. Why dont you explain how john mccain walked out on his 4 children and wife just because she was in a car accident and wasnt the same?

Why dont you explain how a man leaves his family if he is a good christian for a woman some 18 years younger than him?

Why dont you explain how John Mccain left his children, not participating in their lives until they were older and he had to ask for forgiveness before they would talk to him?

Talking about abandoning families isnt something John McCain wants to talk about, YOU SHOULD TRY IT ALSO.

:please:

Get over it dude. Why dont you explain how john mccain walked out on his 4 children and wife just because she was in a car accident and wasnt the same?

Why dont you explain how a man leaves his family if he is a good christian for a woman some 18 years younger than him?

Why dont you explain how John Mccain left his children, not participating in their lives until they were older and he had to ask for forgiveness before they would talk to him?

Talking about abandoning families isnt something John McCain wants to talk about, YOU SHOULD TRY IT ALSO.

:please:
This is either a case or you ignoring the truth, or you are too stupid to understand or your beloved leftist media wouldn't run the story. McCain fully admitted that he did not do the right things in the time after his return from 'Nam. He included the divorce, saying that it was his fault and not his wife's and that he acted badly (paraphrased) within his marriage. HE fully admitted to having affairs. He probably "left" her because she kicked his ass out, as most women would. As far as his participation in their lives, I'm sure his Ex had something to say about how much his participation was. I have no idea what her limit was , and you don't either. As far as his Christianity, that's between him and God. Just a little info for ya here, God forgives sinners.
Oh wait...I thought of another reason you won't acknowledge McCain's "talking" about his marriage...you could well be a bald face liar. After all your choice for President is.

By the way, you still haven't answered the question? Chicken poo or just don't have an answer?

diesel96

So you're saying Palin did a better job at running STATE than 0 did at running a campaign. I'm sure she appreciates the compliment.
0 spending that much on his run for President is zilch compared to what he will spend of your tax dollars. I'm happy you are good with that kind of waste.

0...Is that your new nickname ? What happen to Hussien ?:saddam:
I didn't know Wasilla was a state, so you may want to find your reading glasses.
Keep perpetuating the fallacy of O spending and wasting more money than this current administration that McSame has become a poster child of. The first four years will consist of cleaning up and paying for another disastrous Republican Administration. Is reducing our debt anywhere on the radar screen for Republicans?

By 10pm EST the bias media will have declared the conman winner, maybe. But its still up to the Electoral College in January to decide who won.

Another liberal media conspiracy theorist......but this one thinks there will be Faithless Electoral's "Gone wild" in Jan ......this gets better.....then we need to wait for "someone" to be sworn in (before the sniper can lock in his target) then we can call him President. Unfortunately, BaBa is still stuck on this Muslim-Koran kick.

I would not call this campaign remarkable , other than the lack of any real reporting by the media. Where are the in-depth stories about O , his background, just who does he turn to for advise, his past , his real goals.
I'm still out raged of his treatment of the "reporters " he had thrown off of his plane just because their papers endorsed McCain. If there were any real reporters on the plane when they saw this they all would have left. This cowardly act shows his true colors , he wants absolute control .

YES, she would scare the crap out of me, because you know McCain :wheelchai will become incapacitated in some form or another and look who we are stuck with, Sarah and her imaginery Pentacoastal Witch Doctor friend and her US wanna be seceding first dude hubby and barefoot and pregnant unwed teenages running around the whitehouse.....

In all seriouness....As to your enquiring why Use this train of thought. Because of your complaining of what has O done to be a leader. Besides running a remarkable record setting campaign and having prominent leaders such as Warren Buffet and Colin Powell's endorsement, O has demonstrated superior judgement over Mccain during the collaspe of Wall Street without knee jerk reactions of suspending his campaign, also the proposed Gax Tax Holiday which McCain and Hillary were in favor of and O opposed which turned out to be the concenses of the top economic experts. McCain also demonstrated more knee jerk reactions by calling and consoling that disturbed girl who claims to be attacked by a 6ft 4' black Obama supporter who carved a B in her own face and made an issue of it. McCain also claims he can find Bin Laden, he knows how. Well what's he waiting for, to become President ! My comparison also draws from right wingers comparing Palin's limited executive experience far superior to all three, Obama-Biden-and Mccain...as if to say only Gov's and Ceo's are qualified for the Presidency, not Senators.
O's Not a remarkable campaign you say.....It's pretty odd when your Vice-President's rallys are four times the size as "The Main Guy"... I think thats remarkably funny...

0...Is that your new nickname ? What happen to Hussien ?:saddam:
Yes 0 is the new nickname I use for 0bama. I have never called him by his middle name alone, only when typing his full name.
I didn't know Wasilla was a state, so you may want to find your reading glasses.
When you said
that dwarfs the budget and number of employee of the city of Wasilla:
I thought your meant the State of Alaska, seeing how that is her highest office held, and didn't want to embarrass you by correcting the mistake. My bad. Now if you want to trade higher goals for lower goals. 0bama was a community organizer, Palin is the Governor of Alaska
Keep perpetuating the fallacy of O spending and wasting more money than this current administration that McSame has become a poster child of. The first four years will consist of cleaning up and paying for another disastrous Republican Administration. Is reducing our debt anywhere on the radar screen for Republicans?
Fallacy? try telling that to the non-partisan economists from...crap can't remember.. they estimate 3 trillion unless 0 drops most of his programs. They weren't too nice to McCain either but he did come in second place in their analysis.

Originally Posted by Baba gounj
Another liberal media conspiracy theorist......but this one thinks there will be Faithless Electoral's "Gone wild" in Jan ......this gets better.....then we need to wait for "someone" to be sworn in (before the sniper can lock in his target) then we can call him President. Unfortunately, BaBa is still stuck on this Muslim-Koran kick.
Maybe I do need new glasses, I can't see anywhere Baba said one word about Faithless electorials gone wild, an assassination attempt. The fact is, until they are sworn in they are not the President, they are the President Elect.

YES, she would scare the crap out of me, because you know McCain :wheelchai will become incapacitated in some form or another
No actually I don't know that and you don't either.
and look who we are stuck with, Sarah and her imaginery Pentacoastal Witch Doctor friend and her US wanna be seceding first dude hubby and barefoot and pregnant unwed teenages running around the whitehouse.....
Now look who is believing a less that reliable news source. That would be you.

In all seriouness....As to your enquiring why Use this train of thought. Because of your complaining of what has O done to be a leader. Besides running a remarkable record setting campaign and having prominent leaders such as Warren Buffet and Colin Powell's endorsement, O has demonstrated superior judgement over Mccain during the collaspe of Wall Street without knee jerk reactions of suspending his campaign, also the proposed Gax Tax Holiday which McCain and Hillary were in favor of and O opposed which turned out to be the concenses of the top economic experts.
McCain really didn't susspend his campaign he was just prepared to if the need arouse. He made it to the debate.
I have to take into account that you along with many, many other people have been taken in by the "Rock Star" of politics and your vision has been fogged, that's OK it won't last forever. And please, I have never insinuated that I thought John McCain was the messiah, far from it. I was opposed to the bail out from the start but I didn't have a better plan. Did 0bama?

McCain also demonstrated more knee jerk reactions by calling and consoling that disturbed girl who claims to be attacked by a 6ft 4' black Obama supporter who carved a B in her own face and made an issue of it. Shame on McCain for showing a little compassion toward someone that he thought had been injured.
McCain also claims he can find Bin Laden, he knows how. Well what's he waiting for, to become President !
Well yeah, there are things a President can do that a congressman can't.
My comparison also draws from right wingers comparing Palin's limited executive experience far superior to all three, Obama-Biden-and Mccain...as if to say only Gov's and Ceo's are qualified for the Presidency, not Senators.
I don't think that was ever said, you making stuff up?

O's Not a remarkable campaign you say.....It's pretty odd when your Vice-President's rallys are four times the size as "The Main Guy"...
But how does it compare to the Beatles 1965 USA tour?
I think thats remarkably funny...
Remember that when you are laughing your way to the poor house, regardless of who is elected.
One more thing, I'm sure your sister TOS appreciates your help in bailing her out with the question she couldn't answer.