Thoughts / Advice on moving from a ramp to a station

Oldfart

I did have a stressful morning. I couldn't decide if I wanted to eat lunch at Whataburger, Chick fil A or Cookout. So I went to Bojangles'

Purplepackage

You'll stop stressing when you realize you basically have to blatantly falsify or steal to get fired from this place.

If you have a pulse you can work at express until they shut it down

dezguy

You'll stop stressing when you realize you basically have to blatantly falsify or steal to get fired from this place.

If you have a pulse you can work at express until they shut it down
I usually say you have to take a :censored2: on your managers desk to get fired but I now doubt even that would do the trick.

!Retired!

Your route (assuming you really have one) must be a cakewalk.
Yes, I have a route. I guess you COULD say it's one of the 'better' routes in our station. 'Hard route' is a relative term people use to describe a route when they can't handle it. A route is only as hard as you make it. If I remember correctly, I've had 5 FT routes, 4 PT routes and was a PM swing. Everything from pure business 'run and gun' city routes and split shift routes to 35-40 stop/drive 350 miles VERY rural routes and everything in between. I haven't done a single route that I would consider 'hard', but others would. Sorry if I find this job easy.
April 17, 1973? You must’ve started right alongside Ancient Flatulence.
When you're not whining, you can actually be a little funny.
You know how it is. Some can do the job, some can't.
True. I welcome the challenge of taking on new hires and showing them it's not as bad as others make it seem.

Oldfart

Yes, I have a route. I guess you COULD say it's one of the 'better' routes in our station. 'Hard route' is a relative term people use to describe a route when they can't handle it. A route is only as hard as you make it. If I remember correctly, I've had 5 FT routes, 4 PT routes and was a PM swing. Everything from pure business 'run and gun' city routes and split shift routes to 35-40 stop/drive 350 miles VERY rural routes and everything in between. I haven't done a single route that I would consider 'hard', but others would. Sorry if I find this job easy.

When you're not whining, you can actually be a little funny.

True. I welcome the challenge of taking on new hires and showing them it's not as bad as others make it seem.
Post of the year.

The job is easy if you don't mind manual labor and working in the various weather conditions.

I would love to go back to the job knowledge test days and watch people panic and have every excuse possible as to why they couldn't pass an OPEN book test.

I had a swing driver meet me this morning. I told him to meet me on a certain street and I would be south of a certain cross street. Both of these were 2 very large roads. Fella couldn't find me because he needed an exact address to put in his GPS. He didn't know how to use a mapbook, only a GPS. Pitiful.

I just went from the ramp part time to a full time swing driver and other than getting hours I really like it. Agfs is very much different from dgo in my opinion just different attitude and time management is key. I know with the ramp and getting flights out on time seems like a time crunch but delivering seems different to me.

OP,

You said you are a ramp agent in Memphis, I’ve been lead to believe you guys only sit in the office. I did meet a few RAs from Memphis when we did a relief flight to Puerto Rico and they were very nice.

MemphisHubFedExer

I just went from the ramp part time to a full time swing driver and other than getting hours I really like it. Agfs is very much different from dgo in my opinion just different attitude and time management is key. I know with the ramp and getting flights out on time seems like a time crunch but delivering seems different to me.

OP,

You said you are a ramp agent in Memphis, I’ve been lead to believe you guys only sit in the office. I did meet a few RAs from Memphis when we did a relief flight to Puerto Rico and they were very nice.
Some RAs sit in the office, some bust their ass doing a little bit of everything. On big market flights, some of the more senior RAs will do the office work, especially if they have good RAs working with them. It really just depends on the flight and the outbound team working it.