thrift plan

ups79

mpeedy just said he stayed in and is receiving about 4% per year. I would hope that you were invested in something in your 401k making more than 4%. you can make 4% invested in a bank cd.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I believe the split adjusted price of the stock when the thrift plan changed was $13.50. So at a price of $75 or so now I think it's up quite a bit more than 100%.

tieguy

Banned
Is this the "thrift plan" that some old-timers in a neighboring state had $150-200 thousand dollars in?

Yep and the same thrift plan they then had 300 to 400 thousand of UPS stock afterwards.

Is this the "thrift plan" that "our" (there's that word again) company just up and said, "OOPS!, we changed "our" mind.....you all gotta buy "our" stock with that money now".

Yep stock that then doubled through the IPO. Good positive reminder. I'm surrprised that you would try to remind everyone of how the company doubled their money with this change. You're usually so negative.

trickpony1

It's amazing.
The lack of reading comprehension must be a common denominator among management because not one but TWO management posters completely missed the point of my post (#9) which was;
.......if management up and changed their mind about the thrift plan, who's to say they (the company) wouldn't do the same thing if they assumed control of the health, welfare and pension?
My point WAS NOT about how well everyone has done since the conversion, which both management posters seemed to focus on.
I agree with another poster who said, essentially, "who do I trust the lest?"
I will try to be more clear and concise in my posts for those who seem to be academically challenged.

By the way, it's "C'est la vie" not "Ce Le Vie".......but that's okay, I understand.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Actually Tie they Qaudrupeled their money if you look at $26.25 original price, rose to about $51, then split and went public in the $70's.

ups79

badpal-so true, don't know any of my other investments have done so well. the one's bashing it must be the ones that left their money in the thrift plan and have collected 4% ever since. More than likely at the time they took the assumption, "this can't be good if UPS wants us to do it".

HazMatMan

How come everybody I talk to at my UPS is telling me the thrift plan no longer exists and that there can't possibly be people with money still in there. I talked to both workers and management people about this, I don't know where all you folks live, like the guy who said he has 22,000 in it collecting 900 dollars a year interest. but where i'm from, the consensus is the thrift plan is gone with no money in it...maybe Tie could help out on this one..

T

Thrift Plan

If you never ended your thrift plan, UPS stock was automatically purchased for you, OPL stock as well, if I remember correctly. You would be paid dividends on however many shares you have, as well as the couple bucks you got in the OPL debacle.

When OPL finally closes it doors for good, you should be able to take a capital loss to offset whatever gains you've had. For hourly, that could be considerable. For management, well let’s just say they have other tax consequences.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
After the thrift plan was eliminated, foolish employees(the same people who have their 401k 100% in fixed rate) whined and the union agreed that the thrift plan should keep going as it was. A few saps are still in it.

tieguy

Banned
It's amazing.
The lack of reading comprehension must be a common denominator among management because not one but TWO management posters completely missed the point of my post (#9) which was;
.......if management up and changed their mind about the thrift plan, who's to say they (the company) wouldn't do the same thing if they assumed control of the health, welfare and pension?
My point WAS NOT about how well everyone has done since the conversion, which both management posters seemed to focus on.
I will try to be more clear and concise in my posts for those who seem to be academically challenged.

By the way, it's "C'est la vie" not "Ce Le Vie".......but that's okay, I understand.

Trick I'm sorry. I realized when I read your post that you were trying to create another demoralizing negative moment concerning the thrift plan. I knew you were trying to sell the company is out to screw you theme. However I also know how important honesty and integrity is too you and I could not go along with your little dishonest ploy. The fact is that anyone involved with the close of the thrift plan who either kept their money in the plan or kept it in UPS stock easily made a ton of money. My integrity would not let me go along with your little misinformation campaign. I apologize that my integrity prevented me from spinning the same bull**** lies that you were trying to spin. I hope you can find it in your dishonest heart to forgive me.

tieguy

Banned
It's amazing.

Generally your reply here would be to try to prove me wrong. Trying to attack the reading comprehension part was a pathetically weak response. Trying to make it two management posters was even more pitiful.

If management decided to up and change the pension plan like they did the thrift plan we would end up tripling the CS plans assets and become heros to everyone. You're not actually trying to tell the recipients of the CS plan that they are better off with less are you?

That was definitely not your intention. In fact you were actually stupid enough to take a situation where everyone made tons of money and try to turn it into a negative. Pretty stupid on your part.

Yea right. Who do I trust less. The pension committe who tells me I need to work until I am 70 to earn a pittance for a pension or UPS who tripled my money. God this argument gets worse as you go.

ROFLMAO. Dude your the one academically challenged. Here you go refresher time. See Trickpony try to turn gold into horse****. See trickpony step on his appendage. See trickpony try to sell a cart full of horse manure. Run Trickpony Run the orderlies from the insane asylum are out with the butterfly nets.

Wow Trickpony knows how to spell one french expression but does not know UPSers made a ton of money on the closing of the thrift plan. I am reaaaaaaaallllllly impressed.

badpal

How come everybody I talk to at my UPS is telling me the thrift plan no longer exists and that there can't possibly be people with money still in there. I talked to both workers and management people about this, I don't know where all you folks live, like the guy who said he has 22,000 in it collecting 900 dollars a year interest. but where i'm from, the consensus is the thrift plan is gone with no money in it...maybe Tie could help out on this one..
Yes i know a couple guys still in it .They did not open the "window of opportunity" lol anybody else remember that slogan

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Some people did take advantage of that "window of opportunity". I had a new supervisor at that time that took out a second mortgage on her house and bought a lot of UPS stock right before the IPO. I wish that I could have done that!