Time To End The Shutdown?

rickyb

Sure it is, and what is liberal now is far left of what it was a few decades ago.
so in the 1990s bill clinton pushed the dems right of centre, which drove republicans to the far right.

as far as what influence bernie and AOC are having on the party, maybe dems are centrists now by american standards.

rickyb

That's the problem with political labels, the definitions are always shifting. Most people who claim to be liberal are really leftist puppets, or leftists claiming to be liberal.

Leftists, especially you "revolutionary" types, don't seem to have a coherent agenda. You rail against the government, but you think the solution is more government, at least as far as I can tell from your posts.

Really, you don't have a problem with government, you just want to be in charge, and you accomplish it by stirring up chaos through inflaming easily manipulated, useful idiots. While everyone is busy dealing with the chaos, you swoop in and, while you think you are making everything better, you really just destroy everything you touch, because that is all you know.
no no liberals are the political centre. they carry out some reforms on capitalist excess. look up chomsky on liberals. thing is liberals dont do that anymore in america; theyve been corrupted starting with bill clinton.

yea im not really sure where i stand on govt. i am very weary of power, be it concentrated in the workplace or in the govt. we defintely need an economic revolution to give power to workers not hte govt and not the capitalists.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
so in the 1990s bill clinton pushed the dems right of centre, which drove republicans to the far right.

as far as what influence bernie and AOC are having on the party, maybe dems are centrists now by american standards.
Lol! The Overton window has been moved so far left, Joe Biden is considered moderate.

rickyb

Lol! The Overton window has been moved so far left, Joe Biden is considered moderate.
joe biden is a right winger. but he puts his finger to the wind and says what will get him elected. hillary did the same in 2016. most politicians will do this including trump, thats how power actually works.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
no no liberals are the political centre. they carry out some reforms on capitalist excess. look up chomsky on liberals. thing is liberals dont do that anymore in america; theyve been corrupted starting with bill clinton.

yea im not really sure where i stand on govt. i am very weary of power, be it concentrated in the workplace or in the govt. we defintely need an economic revolution to give power to workers not hte govt and not the capitalists.

What makes workers better and handling power? Once workers get power, what stops them from becoming the government or capitalists?

rickyb

What makes workers better and handling power? Once workers get power, what stops them from becoming the government or capitalists?
workers collectively owning and running the company is not capitalism its economic democracy, one worker 1 vote.

workers are better at handling power vs capitalism because worker run enterprises are more likely to succeed than capitalist ones. please look up worker cooperatives

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
workers collectively owning and running the company is not capitalism its economic democracy, one worker 1 vote.

workers are better at handling power vs capitalism because worker run enterprises are more likely to succeed than capitalist ones. please look up worker cooperatives

Capital is money, which is itself just a store of value that has been accumulated through effort, and tools/equipment. Capitalism is using money and tools to add value to resources to increase wealth. How do workers get to the point where they collectively own a company? Do they take it from others by force, or do they pool their capital to purchase it? The answer to that question may shed some light on the differences in our world views.

I have never had an issue with co-ops. But they are not an alternative to capitalism, they are an alternative to standard corporate structure. I don't know that I agree that they are more likely to succeed than other companies, if that were the case, they would be more common. But maybe they are on the rise?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Capital is money, which is itself just a store of value that has been accumulated through effort, and tools/equipment. Capitalism is using money and tools to add value to resources to increase wealth. How do workers get to the point where they collectively own a company? Do they take it from others by force, or do they pool their capital to purchase it? The answer to that question may shed some light on the differences in our world views.

I have never had an issue with co-ops. But they are not an alternative to capitalism, they are an alternative to standard corporate structure. I don't know that I agree that they are more likely to succeed than other companies, if that were the case, they would be more common. But maybe they are on the rise?
Do you consider Corporations in the USA to be capitalists?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Do you consider Corporations in the USA to be capitalists?

I don't consider corporations to be people, so, no. In general, the people who form corporations would be capitalists. But you can have corporations established for charitable purposes, which I don't think would meet the criteria for being capitalistic.

Our economy is capitalistic, and I had to think about this for a while, but I can't really think of economic structures that aren't capitalistic to some extent, based on the definition I gave. I guess the real differences between economic structures is how free the market place is.

I have issues with corporate structure/culture. I feel that the laws surrounding the creation of corporations remove too much liability from the individual. In some ways that's good because it allows people to be more willing to take the risks necessary to accomplish the amazing things that we can accomplish. On the other hand, it's bad because it incentivizes taking bad risks, which end up costing everyone. But, maybe that's the price we pay, and we have to take the good with the bad. Hmmmm... I'm gonna have to think about this some more.

I guess the problem is the people who are ultimately responsible for decision making get a disproportionate benefit from corporate structure, while being shielded from the consequences when they fail, while everyone else suffers.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American