Tips for Loaders

wyo_john

Hey everybody, after 2 months of unloading on the overnight shift at my hub, I got moved to the load on Friday. I didn't really get much training on how to build walls and such, (hopefully more tonight) but in the meantime was wondering if any current or former loaders could give some helpful tips and whatnot. Thanks in advance!!!

helenofcalifornia

Tetris is an excellent plan. I have found you either have the eye for creating a great wall or don't have the eye and will make an adequate wall. Either way the job gets done.

Random_Facts

The recommend building "T's", (They have a video on here/and on youtube) that show you how to load a trailer, its only 40seconds but it was helpful. Also it's helpful to put the same boxes together, as they are easier stacking. Don't work yourself to death though. Pick a pace, and stick with it. =). I'm sure you'll do great. As long as no boxes break then hey! mission accomplished.

1000RR

I was told to build across before you build up. Also build "T's" don't make columns. The load quality guy here tells me to save bags for the top of the walls, but if im getting slammed i build them into the wall if I can. No over 70s above waist high.

abc123

Always keep in mind that somewhere, another UPSer has to unload that truck and you can either make it easy or very hard for them. I'll never figure out how/why people load over 70's at the top of a wall without breaking their backs but somehow, they do. Since you're coming from unload, I'm sure you understand.

wyo_john

Awesome, thanks for all of the replies! I decided to download tetris for my phone and have been playing it all day, and over 70's up high was notorious in one of the trailers I used to unload... We will see how tonight goes!

Nimnim

The Nim
I never loaded, but I did unload for 9 months. Sometimes you don't expect how packages will shift in transit so a tight wall will help keep it together. As far as over 70s over waist high, I had one situation where I have no idea who thought it was a good idea. Top of the wall, probably 10 trailer hitches all thrown up on top where they ended up with the ones on top of the stack in the back so it was nigh impossible to get them safely. Don't do that and someone won't want to take a trip to your center/hub and kill you.

helenofcalifornia

The video they show you on how to build walls is one of empty boxes. Easy to build a wall with empty boxes. Seems it would be a bit difficult to throw bags over the top and not very stable for putting boxes on top of them. You will learn and wonder why you ever thought it was a problem.

Nimnim

The Nim
Learn the eight keys to lifting and lowering and use them religiously.

get close
position feet
bend knees
firm grip opposite diagonal corners
test weight
lift with a smooth steady motion, don't jerk
pivot don't twist
use existing tools and equipment to assist you

I learned them as such since it feels like the natural progression.

evilleace

No heavy boxes on top of light boxes and also try to keep over 70's on the floor if possible also I only loaded a trailer one time but unload is much easier in my opinion. Good Luck I am sure you will do fine.