tips/help

So today was my first day as a driver...and I don't understand how they gave me 3 zip codes to cover and 146 stops....any tips out there, it take me days to find a package, seems like I'm all over bklyn. How many many blocks does a route smh...

Inthegame

So today was my first day as a driver...and I don't understand how they gave me 3 zip codes to cover and 146 stops....any tips out there, it take me days to find a package, seems like I'm all over bklyn. How many many blocks does a route smh...
Only 146 stops, what did you do all afternoon? Just kidding...it'll get easier...maybe not easier but you'll get better at it. Good luck!

UPSGUY72

Just take your time you only can deliver one stop at a time. You'll get better it just takes time to get a smooth routine down.

3 zips that could be in one city. I have done split routes that have include 6 different city/ towns and 180 stops.

bigbrownhen

Some of us have run routes in several different towns in different counties. "It could always be worse." is my motto. I know you feel overwhelmed right now, just hang in there and do the job safely and you will figure it out.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have a guy who does three different counties, I can't count the towns, 160 stops and 220 miles. Not sure of the p/ups.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Just remember.....Don't look at the whole of the car. The sheer presence of all those packages can easily overwhelm you. The car was loaded one package at a time and it will come out the same way.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Kevin R. is the driver. No, I am not off. He was just bitching about it yesterday. I stopped in and chatted with the crew. Having someone constantly question your integrity is very annoying. One can only hope you endure some form of annoyance that is greater.

curiousbrain

220 miles, assuming a constant rate of 65mph (completely unrealistic, but let's be conservative), works out to 3.4 hours just driving that distance. Add in an hour lunch, and that's 4.4 hours without delivering a single package.

That sounds like a really, really long day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
220 miles, assuming a constant rate of 65mph (completely unrealistic, but let's be conservative), works out to 3.4 hours just driving that distance. Add in an hour lunch, and that's 4.4 hours without delivering a single package.

Very. My slic, 1360, has the largest geographical delivery area in NYS. We have three route that are major overtime routes. Randy(goes almost to Rome) and Dawn(goes north of Morristown) both average over 200 miles a day, also. The driver who retired form Dawn's route averaged $95,000 a year without one grievance dollar. We saw his YTD in December, every year. He loved showing it off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

160 stops at 16 stops per hour would add 10 hours so now we are at 14.4 hours. Add in 1-2 hours for pickups and we are at 16.4.

As I said I think her numbers may be a bit off.

menotyou

bella amicizia
160 stops at 16 stops per hour would add 10 hours so now we are at 14.4 hours. Add in 1-2 hours for pickups and we are at 16.4.

As I said I think her numbers may be a bit off.
Feel free to stop in at Black River any day of the week and talk to Kevin, Randy and Dawn yourself. Oh, wait. Then, you would have to start another thread talking in the third person about yourself telling everyone how you were wrong. We all know how well that went for you the last time.
Any day of the week, Dave.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I said, I delivered 158 stops, made 28 pickups and drove 52 city miles yesterday. The speed limit is 30 mph (40 mph for 3 of my pickups). I took my 10 minute break and 45 minute lunch and punched out at 1812. I will be at least 2 hours under on the OR. Quadrupling the miles would add at least 3 hours based on highway speeds, closer to 4 or 5 for some of the back roads I am sure he has to cover.

The math does not support what is an otherwise nice story.

Upstate.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I didn't realize math was a factor at UPS period. I assume he and the others unload a lot of stops in town at the businesses. I don't know. I just know what I am told and what I see on the blue cart computer.
What you believe has long ago become a non-factor to me.

Menotyou

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your tales of preloaders loading 12.5 pkgs per second on to 6.5 pkg cars and drivers delivering 160 stops while driving 220 miles over 3 counties are hard to believe. The math simply doesn't support your tall tales. Again, nothing personal.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Any say of the week, Dave. Here's the directions for you. Feel free to ask yourself, see for yourself. You won't because it is much more fun for you to sit here and malign me. Any day of the week, Dave, any day of the week.

A) Plattsburgh, NY US
--------------------------------------------------
1. Start out going west on Cornelia St/RT-3 toward Oak St/RT-22 N. (go 0.12 miles)
2. Take the 1st right onto Oak St/RT-22 N. Continue to follow RT-22 N.
- Plattsburgh Fire Dist is on the right
- If you reach St Charles St you've gone a little too far
(go 1.54 miles)
3. Stay straight to go onto RT-374 W. (go 3.36 miles)
4. Turn right onto RT-190/Military Turnpike.
- If you reach Banker Rd you've gone about 0.1 miles too far
(go 21.67 miles)
5. Stay straight to go onto RT-190. (go 0.04 miles)
6. Turn left onto US-11.
- Northern Adirondack Elementary Sch is on the corner
(go 63.7 miles)
7. Turn slight right onto US-11/Elm St.
- US-11 is just past Leroy St
(go 0.25 miles)
8. Turn right onto US-11/RT-56/Market St.
- First Crush Wine Bar is on the right
(go 0.17 miles)
9. Take the 3rd left onto US-11/Sandstone Dr. Continue to follow US-11.
- US-11 is just past Willow St
- If you are on RT-56 and reach Pleasant St you've gone a little too far
(go 11.22 miles)
10. Turn left onto Gouverneur St/US-11. Continue to follow US-11.
- US-11 is 0.1 miles past Riverside Dr
- If you reach Stillman Dr you've gone a little too far
(go 53.17 miles)
11. Turn right onto RT-342.
- RT-342 is 0.1 miles past Virginia Smith Dr
- McDonald's is on the corner
- If you are on US-11 and reach Jewitt Pl you've gone about 0.1 miles too far
(go 4.05 miles)
12. Merge onto I-81 S toward Syracuse. (go 4.29 miles)
13. Take the RT-12F/Coffeen St exit, EXIT 46, toward Airport. (go 0.18 miles)
14. Turn right onto RT-12F.
- If you reach I-81 S you've gone about 0.1 miles too far
(go 0.23 miles)
15. 21171 STATE ROUTE 12F.
- Your destination is 0.1 miles past Salmon Run Mall Rd
- If you reach Enterprize Dr you've gone about 0.5 miles too far
(go 0 miles)
B) 21171 State Route 12f, Watertown, NY 13601-1082 US