"To all UPS Employees concerned about their pensions & Benefits" !!!!!!

Automaton

Given the current working conditions at UPS, I am convinced that we're going to start seeing greater turnover in full time driving positions, and that very few new hires are going to tough it out long enough to become vested in a pension anyway. That could have a positive effect on the funding for those who do become vested, because UPS will still be paying in on behalf of those new hires, even though they will never collect a cent. I myself still have at least 15 years to go before I can retire, and I'm not even sure I can tough it out for that long. I can't imagine looking at 30 years as a new hire right now. I'd be looking for another job, even if it meant earning less money!

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
They (APWA) are also dreaming if they think they can even get one penny of the IBT pension funds.

On what grounds are they going to sue for? LOL:w00t:
The pilots are on their own after breaking away and how did they do on their last contract ? Not to shabby ! Do you think of them badly for doing that a few years back ?

ezmoney5150

Now you know how i feel about us (Central States) recepients. The teamsters want the ability to change your pesnion via the government red zone. It allows them to reduce pensions even after you start collecting. I have a feeling nobody will be taken care of because of the lack of insight into managing the central states fund ! I hear the western fund is expecting changes soon ? The insurance plan we have was negotiated. Anyone else would be doing the same thing. I`m not sure how the money will be covered for the retiree`s yet. But it will be addressed.

You sound so worried about other people being taken care of. Sounds like an agenda to me. For your information, the Teamsters Legislative Affairs opposed the red zone ammendment. I have pasted it below.

Pension Legislation Updates

Issue #6, April 10, 2006
Last week, Congressional leaders said that they expect to have votes on comprehensive pension legislation before their Memorial Day District Work Period at the end of May. Last year, the House and Senate passed different pension bills, and a conference committee has been meeting to negotiate a single piece of legislation that will then go back to both chambers for approval.
While the make-up of the final bill remains unclear, some information on the conference committee's deliberations is cause for serious concern. Most alarming is the fact that there is still support for the so-called "red zone" provision from the House bill. This language would allow pension fund trustees to reduce vested benefits. The inclusion of "red zone" language in the House bill forced the Teamsters Union to pull out of a coalition that was working on the legislation and withdraw support for the bill.
In addition to the red zone, other proposals remain on the table that would also be harmful to Teamsters and other working families who are relying on their pension for retirement. One provision would actually permit so-called small businesses—employers with 500 or fewer employees—to walk away from their pension obligations and in many cases tank the pension funds in which they participate. The Teamsters Union is on record in opposition to this measure and continues to lobby against it.
At the same time, the Teamsters are working to protect relief that was recently granted to the Central States Pension Fund by the Internal Revenue Service. This relief will permit the fund to recover from the stock market slump of 2001-2003. The final agreement must include the necessary provisions to maintain IRS relief and to avoid disrupting approved recovery plans. The Teamsters Union is closely monitoring the conference committee process to protect the IRS relief.
When the conference committee comes to agreement on a comprehensive pension bill and releases its report, the Teamsters Union will quickly analyze the legislation and its impact on pension funds in which Teamster participate. Should the bill prove harmful to Teamster members, the Union will lobby aggressively against it and mobilize the membership to work for its defeat.

DorkHead

I have been employed by UPS for almost 22 yrs. I have been in the UPS/Teamster 401 k plan and contribute 17% since the beginning. I also am enrolled in the UPS stock program. I hope that everyone here realizes how important it is to rely on more than just your pension. Especially the central states. I belong to the West New York pension fund and my retirement numbers look very good. However, I won`t count on those monies until the day arrives. So please, everyone, don`t put all your eggs in one basket.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
You sound so worried about other people being taken care of. Sounds like an agenda to me. For your information, the Teamsters Legislative Affairs opposed the red zone ammendment. I have pasted it below.

Issue #6, April 10, 2006
Last week, Congressional leaders said that they expect to have votes on comprehensive pension legislation before their Memorial Day District Work Period at the end of May. Last year, the House and Senate passed different pension bills, and a conference committee has been meeting to negotiate a single piece of legislation that will then go back to both chambers for approval.
While the make-up of the final bill remains unclear, some information on the conference committee's deliberations is cause for serious concern. Most alarming is the fact that there is still support for the so-called "red zone" provision from the House bill. This language would allow pension fund trustees to reduce vested benefits. The inclusion of "red zone" language in the House bill forced the Teamsters Union to pull out of a coalition that was working on the legislation and withdraw support for the bill.
In addition to the red zone, other proposals remain on the table that would also be harmful to Teamsters and other working families who are relying on their pension for retirement. One provision would actually permit so-called small businesses—employers with 500 or fewer employees—to walk away from their pension obligations and in many cases tank the pension funds in which they participate. The Teamsters Union is on record in opposition to this measure and continues to lobby against it.
At the same time, the Teamsters are working to protect relief that was recently granted to the Central States Pension Fund by the Internal Revenue Service. This relief will permit the fund to recover from the stock market slump of 2001-2003. The final agreement must include the necessary provisions to maintain IRS relief and to avoid disrupting approved recovery plans. The Teamsters Union is closely monitoring the conference committee process to protect the IRS relief.
When the conference committee comes to agreement on a comprehensive pension bill and releases its report, the Teamsters Union will quickly analyze the legislation and its impact on pension funds in which Teamster participate. Should the bill prove harmful to Teamster members, the Union will lobby aggressively against it and mobilize the membership to work for its defeat.
Whose lobby is bigger do ya think ? IBT or UPS ? Delta did it and every other big business did it got amnesty from the government to eliminate pensions ? Reform heh ! This is the USA if there is a will there is a way around it ! Unity with everyone in the same pot would not put us in this spot and for now you are not involved but give it time !

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I have been employed by UPS for almost 22 yrs. I have been in the UPS/Teamster 401 k plan and contribute 17% since the beginning. I also am enrolled in the UPS stock program. I hope that everyone here realizes how important it is to rely on more than just your pension. Especially the central states. I belong to the West New York pension fund and my retirement numbers look very good. However, I won`t count on those monies until the day arrives. So please, everyone, don`t put all your eggs in one basket.
Congratulations you`ll be able to cover a hip replacement when the time comes after all the years in packages !

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE

Issue #6, April 10, 2006

Concerned would be the word when you somewhat rely on the decision making process that is not listening to the guy who pays his way ! Its easy to put us against them when i didn`t set up the IBT to be this way. The union will not go under without us if it were to happen. They would just have to make adjustments like every other business. It will be interesting in the next few months to see what the IBT can muster up to save a sinking ship !

dragracer66

Hey Widgoose...You seem to be the only real supporter of the apwa why don't you quit parcel and work for the apwa and let's see how you are after 30 year's!!!

any122

adirondack man
Hey Widgoose...You seem to be the only real supporter of the apwa why don't you quit parcel and work for the apwa and let's see how you are after 30 year's!!!
Hey drag there is alot of support for the APWA. If all teamsters where in your union they would be happy .So you have a secure pension why don't we all join your union?Well you get back to us after you contact your local and let us no if all of us UPS employees can join .WE have seen the numbers you should support the people who work three times as hard as you fore anybody can be a parts changer.APWA ALL THE WAY!

dragracer66

Hey drag there is alot of support for the APWA. If all teamsters where in your union they would be happy .So you have a secure pension why don't we all join your union?Well you get back to us after you contact your local and let us no if all of us UPS employees can join .WE have seen the numbers you should support the people who work three times as hard as you fore anybody can be a parts changer.APWA ALL THE WAY!
Hey Any..I can see you are a real as*hole if anybody can change part's why don't you do it. Yea it's real hard sitting behind of a wheel driving all day. Unless you are a package driver but you probably aren't because you should be working now. I have alot of friend's who are feeder driver's don't even try to tell me how hard you have it. I drove a truck for year's before coming here guy's like you could not make it at another trucking company!!! You don't realize how good you got it!!! Wake up!! If it's so bad go work somwhere else!!!

any122

adirondack man
Hey Any..I can see you are a real as*hole if anybody can change part's why don't you do it. Yea it's real hard sitting behind of a wheel driving all day. Unless you are a package driver but you probably aren't because you should be working now. I have alot of friend's who are feeder driver's don't even try to tell me how hard you have it. I drove a truck for year's before coming here guy's like you could not make it at another trucking company!!! You don't realize how good you got it!!! Wake up!! If it's so bad go work somwhere else!!!
Well I no I can do your job anybody can unbolt old and replace it with new.Your more than welcome to try and drive up in the northeast in the middle of a snow storm ive had the priveledge of seeing people in jersey they can't even drive in the rain.I can gurentee you I could go anywhere in the trucking industry and get a job driving or turning wrenches.Most UPS mechanics don't even no what the inside of a transmission even looks like.Like I said I don't see your union offering UPS drivers a chance to join!

brett636

This is why you pay for the teamsters to represent you?Brett talks all kinds of crap about the APWA but then makes statements like this proven how much faith he has in the IBT.WOW! makes me want to run wright out and join the IBT.NOT APWA all the way.GET INFORMED BEFORE ITS TO LATE!

I am quite informed you mental peon. At my age retirement security regarding pensions, social security, and any other promised payments will be nil. It doesn't matter if its the APWA, the IBT, or any other organizations, they cannot stop the growing retirement problem. I read somewhere that by 2050 the average retirement age could reach 85! Can you imagine retiring at 70 and thinking u got a break compared to the rest of the population? I'm not going to allow myself to fall into such a trap. Savings, 401ks, and passive income is the way to go. Using that strategy I will retire well before you will while you wait for your "pension" to come through. The IBT sucks, and the APWA is one big lie. I learned a long time ago to not rely on others when it comes to big life changing decisions. You on the other hand can run with the rest of the sheeple who will buy your bull**** and pray it works out. I want no part in it.

any122

adirondack man
I am quite informed you mental peon. At my age retirement security regarding pensions, social security, and any other promised payments will be nil. It doesn't matter if its the APWA, the IBT, or any other organizations, they cannot stop the growing retirement problem. I read somewhere that by 2050 the average retirement age could reach 85! Can you imagine retiring at 70 and thinking u got a break compared to the rest of the population? I'm not going to allow myself to fall into such a trap. Savings, 401ks, and passive income is the way to go. Using that strategy I will retire well before you will while you wait for your "pension" to come through. The IBT sucks, and the APWA is one big lie. I learned a long time ago to not rely on others when it comes to big life changing decisions. You on the other hand can run with the rest of the sheeple who will buy your bull**** and pray it works out. I want no part in it.
Thats good sit on the fence and let everyone else deal with the problems and you can reap the benefits later.I love your thinking very tipicle in todays society.

dragracer66

Well I no I can do your job anybody can unbolt old and replace it with new.Your more than welcome to try and drive up in the northeast in the middle of a snow storm ive had the priveledge of seeing people in jersey they can't even drive in the rain.I can gurentee you I could go anywhere in the trucking industry and get a job driving or turning wrenches.Most UPS mechanics don't even no what the inside of a transmission even looks like.Like I said I don't see your union offering UPS drivers a chance to join!
You make it sound like driving in bad weather takes a special degree. Hell they have illegal immigrant's driving truck's all over the country maybe they went to the same truck driving college you went too!! The next time your tractor has a engine light tell your shop that your Jonny badass and you can put it on the computer and you can troubleshoot the problem! Also the next time when you breakdown don't call the shop, because your Jonny bad ass and you can fix it!!! Also our union wouldn't want you we don't take memeber's that stab our Ba"s or president's in the back as soon as something doesn't go our way!!!

any122

adirondack man
You make it sound like driving in bad weather takes a special degree. Hell they have illegal immigrant's driving truck's all over the country maybe they went to the same truck driving college you went too!! The next time your tractor has a engine light tell your shop that your Jonny badass and you can put it on the computer and you can troubleshoot the problem! Also the next time when you breakdown don't call the shop, because your Jonny bad ass and you can fix it!!! Also our union wouldn't want you we don't take memeber's that stab our Ba"s or president's in the back as soon as something doesn't go our way!!!
I wish a had a computer to tell me how to do my job.You are way to smart for me to argue with Ill have to wait till I get the next windows update on my computer!:lol: :lol:

dragracer66

I wish a had a computer to tell me how to do my job.You are way to smart for me to argue with Ill have to wait till I get the next windows update on my computer!:lol: :lol:
That's it??? That's the best you can come back with??? I'm dissapointed I thought you would come back with something better. Oh well we kept this thread interesting for a little while!! Take care and becarefull driving in that snow tonite!!!:thumbup1:

nospinzone

Teamster251 said:
On what grounds are they going to sue for?
Those monies do not belong to Teamsters. Teamsters are simply the administrators of the pension funds, and they were voted in by the membership to MANAGE their contributions, which they have done poorly. Should the membership vote the APWA in as collective bargaining agent, this would signify that a majority of the voters do not want IBT to continue managing their money. As the newly elected union…ie PENSION MANAGERS… APWA would request that the money that BELONGS TO THE UPS EMPLOYEES be transferred to the new manager. PENSION CONTRIBUTIONS ARE NOT THE PROPERTY OF THE IBT. They belong to the people who worked for them.

wily_old_vet said:
Wildgoose-My fear as a UPS Teamster retiree is that if we did switch to APWA that would drastically reduce the money coming into my particular plan and my benefits would be reduced. Comments?
The lawsuit would seize the contributions and pensions of all UPS employees, working or retired. Once APWA begins managing these funds, they would make no changes to your monthly amount. Whatever amount you were promised under the IBT benefit plan would be continued. And lets not forget that UPS is the guarantor of the pension benefits promised to any UPS employee. So your benefits are ultimately the responsibility of United Parcel Service. This doesn't mean that Teamsters won't hack away and reduce your benefits, which they are allowed to do. Also, the way IBT has the board of trustees set up now, retirees have no voice. APWA would reserve two seats on its board of trustees for retired employees so that the retirees would continue to have a voice in how their pension funds are managed.
dragracer said:
The only way Parcel will sit down with the apwa is if they are the sole party representing any former teamster's. The apwa has no shot in hell to get all 225,000 teamster's to vote them in.
You’re free to have your opinion here, but you’re opinion won’t trump the NLRA. And the NLRA says that if 51% of the UPS voters wish to have APWA as their collective bargaining agent, then UPS is required to negotiated with them.

Pip said:
I guess in a nutshell, there is still a lot of unanswered questions that need concrete answers, to my thinking. It's a shame we even have to be thinking about this at all. It shouldn't have come to this point. But it has and hopefully one way or the other it will work out.
I agree with you Pip. And believe me when I tell you that this is one big chess match, and Van and Danny have considered about every possible scenario. It would definitely be worth an hour of your time to call up one of these guys and hear their views on this. Outside of a phone conversation, its not easy to address all these concerns. Call 'em up.

Nospin:cool:

I

Ineterested in info

I would like to know where you got this information. Is there a website or other location that I can download the info. to share with some other workers who I know would be interested. Thanks