To drive or not to drive...that is the question

To drive or not to drive....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Need some advice/input.

I lost my main job back at the tail end of 2009. I've been working two jobs ever since. I'm an insurance adjuster during the day and love it but it only pays 46K per year then I work inside in the hub 3rd shift part time sorting getting like two 2 hour naps a day between jobs trying to make up some of the money I was making before.

I got the call today offering me a full time driving job. The job starts the day after New Years (Wednesday). Assuming I pass the road test & dot physical my concerns are:

Not being able to give my current employer a decent notice
$4/hr loss of pay taking 2 years to get back where I am now creating a financial hardship
What if I don't hit proficiency within 30 days and lose the driver job after quitting my main job
Quitting a job as an insurance adjuster that I truly enjoy, to drive in the heat, cold, rain, etc.
Assuming I won't get home until after 7pm as a driver & never seeing the kids
not being able to go to kids school concerts & what not?

Now, the pros as I see them would be
after 3 years when I'm at top pay it will be really good money, way more than I'm making in insurance.
having only 1 job and actually getting a normal night's sleep after 3 years of hell.

Thoughts?

I voted no, but it depends on whats important to you and what the driving situation is in your area. Some places driver punch out at 5 or 6 and others at 8 or 9. Then add in your commute time and it can vary a lot. I live close to my building and my drive time is about 10 minutes. I know guys that drive over an hour each way. If you have kids you can forget about going to most concerts and sports games during the week. If you like going on vacations with your family you wont be able to get vacation weeks during spring break or the summer for at least 10 years. You have a job you like and are making ok money I would stick with it. Working two jobs sucks though. Are you just working at ups part-time for the insurance?

gorilla75jdw

you have a very hard decision to make , the kind of decision that most of us lifers have made . I chose taking a combo job after I had tried driving fulltime package simply because it made sense for me . I have to kids under 10 years old and live 30 minutes away from a major metropolitin area . Our drivers return to the hub anywhere from 5 to 10 pm depending on their route . My job starts at 5:30pm and ends roughly at the same time in the morning . If , and only IF you make it past the 30 days of trial period , good luck , the hours are not all that they seem , not to mention the pricks that will be lurking to diqualify you for any and everything known to man . It just wasnt a trustworthy spot for me to be in , even doing a honest approach and job . Good luck , but I like security and package does not hold that quality for me .

At the end of your life what will you have been more happier doing?

Then again it sounds like with your schedule you don't have a life.

Many years ago I jumped at the chance and never looked back. It hasn't been a bed of roses but its paid the bills and I have pretty good hours now.

DownSouthUPS

Go for driving!! I love my job and I love the money. It takes a whole lot of time away from family but they get to do everything they wanna do. During the summer an spring, I get to see them pretty much every single night. And on the weekends we go out and have a good time with sports and whatever they wanna do.

over9five

Staff member
Man, so many people waiting for that call to drive and you got it! Congratulations! It's kinda a suck job, but:

1. It's a very secure job.
2. With a very secure company.
3. You'll make plenty of money when you get to full rate.

My vote? Brown up, drivah!

barnyard

KTM rider
I am assuming that they want you to be a cover driver and will be sending you to whatever the new school is called. Ask to see the vacation schedule. You could also be looking at going to school and then driving a week here and a week there and not finishing your probation until May. I would talk to the lowest seniority driver and ask him/her who much he/she was laid off last spring and last fall. That will give you your answer. At my center, the lowest 3 cover drivers are generally laid off and working sorts from February until May and can count on being laid off a few weeks in the fall.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would be looking for more work as an insurance adjuster. I know there are some that specialize in other areas that make more than 48k. You are already in that biz, look to advance there, your body will thank you.

over9five

Staff member
This is the key---can the OP live on the reduced income until such time as he makes it to full rate?

I say stick with the insurance adjuster gig and try to work your way up to agent/broker/claims processor.

I would be looking for more work as an insurance adjuster. I know there are some that specialize in other areas that make more than 48k. You are already in that biz, look to advance there, your body will thank you.

I agree with these guys if that's possible!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not 100% sure but I think adjuster's can work for more than one insurance company at the same time. I know the last time I had an accident they sent an independent adjuster to inspect my vehicle.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Isn't it sad that someone can't live off 50K a year.

It is not that one cannot live off $50K a year but rather, do they desire to live off $80K a year or more.

With Obamacare, $50k becomes more realistic ... especially if one lives in small town or rural areas or a BOG.

Need some advice/input.

I lost my main job back at the tail end of 2009. I've been working two jobs ever since. I'm an insurance adjuster during the day and love it but it only pays 46K per year then I work inside in the hub 3rd shift part time sorting getting like two 2 hour naps a day between jobs trying to make up some of the money I was making before.

I got the call today offering me a full time driving job. The job starts the day after New Years (Wednesday). Assuming I pass the road test & dot physical my concerns are:

Not being able to give my current employer a decent notice
$4/hr loss of pay taking 2 years to get back where I am now creating a financial hardship
What if I don't hit proficiency within 30 days and lose the driver job after quitting my main job
Quitting a job as an insurance adjuster that I truly enjoy, to drive in the heat, cold, rain, etc.
Assuming I won't get home until after 7pm as a driver & never seeing the kids
not being able to go to kids school concerts & what not?

Now, the pros as I see them would be
after 3 years when I'm at top pay it will be really good money, way more than I'm making in insurance.
having only 1 job and actually getting a normal night's sleep after 3 years of hell.

Thoughts?
I'd sit down with your wife and make this decision.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Isn't it sad that someone can't live off 50K a year.

I am guessing that the insurance gig does not provide benefits hence the need for the PT job.

I finished out the year just shy of $70K. I live a fairly frugal lifestyle. While I know that I could live off of $50K I do know that I would have to make some sacrifices in order to so. I guess then the question would be do I want to enjoy life or do I want to simply exist.

I do know that in 2013 I am going to spend a little more time with my customers in an effort to not only improve that relationship but to extend my paid day. I have less than 7 years to fund my 401k and would love to have a balance of at least $200K when I retire (currently at $73K).