To join the union or not?

Hey guys I apologize if this is a dumb question. Just wanting to see what others think or do. My line sup wont tell me anything or give me any kind of insight on ANY issue. One of the drivers I load for told me a lot of the FT guys are not in the union. What are the benefits for it or what are the downfalls with it? Thanks in advance

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I think we should write to the Republicans in Congress and propose the Right To Watch TV Act. Under the Right To Watch TV Act, major cable operators such as Comcast, Time Warner and Cox will be legally required to provide television services to all households without the condition of payment. Payment will be optional and at the household's discretion; the cable operators will need to demonstrate the need for such consumers to pay for their services. Paying and non-paying consumers will be treated equally under the eyes of the law.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Hey guys I apologize if this is a dumb question. Just wanting to see what others think or do. My line sup wont tell me anything or give me any kind of insight on ANY issue. One of the drivers I load for told me a lot of the FT guys are not in the union. What are the benefits for it or what are the downfalls with it? Thanks in advance

Glad you figured out your sup won't tell you anything. They never do, just blank stares. I can't imagine any FT worker not being union, unless they're a sup.

Join us. No downfalls and tons of benefits, starting with job security

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

The union negotiates all of your work rules, working conditions, your wages, benefits, and your pension. Starting pay for new hires will be $10/hr once the national agreement is ratified. The only "downfalls" are the dues that you pay. Typically, your dues will be 2.5x your hourly wage per month; 25% of which will be taken out per week. I make over $16/hr and pay $7/week in dues.

You're probably in a RTW state like I am, so I'll be pretty blunt: Want to know what happens when a scab (non dues paying worker) gets in trouble? I let them twist in the wind if I can. I give everyone a "freebie", but after that they're on their own if they're a non-member. I can sit down in the office and pick my nose and that's me fulfilling my "duty of fair representation." I'm not going to put myself out on a limb for someone that won't contribute to the organization that ensures they make more money and have stellar health coverage compared to anyone else in the parcel industry.

Your supervisor has a vested interest in keeping the union presence in his area and shift as weak as possible because it gives him more leeway in disciplining employees and performing bargaining unit work himself.

quamba 638

Those FT drivers not paying dues should be ashamed of themselves, making what they do. Shameless a-holes!

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Pay the dues. Don't be a free loading right to work scab. The union got you higher wages, benefits, etc - not Ups.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think we should write to the Republicans in Congress and propose the Right To Watch TV Act. Under the Right To Watch TV Act, major cable operators such as Comcast, Time Warner and Cox will be legally required to provide television services to all households without the condition of payment. Payment will be optional and at the household's discretion; the cable operators will need to demonstrate the need for such consumers to pay for their services. Paying and non-paying consumers will be treated equally under the eyes of the law.

We could also write to Democrats asking for the same thing. Oh wait.....it's already in affect only it's all of us....THE TAX PAYER.....that is footing the bill for lazy butts to watch tv all day. Now talk about scabs......ha ha ha!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We could also write to Democrats asking for the same thing. Oh wait.....it's already in affect only it's all of us....THE TAX PAYER.....that is footing the bill for lazy butts to watch tv all day. Now talk about scabs......ha ha ha!

How DARE those lazy people go to work for places like Walmart for $7.50/hour! That's WAYYYYY too much $$$ to be paying them.

(and later)

WAHHHHHHHHHHHH, I voted no on the contract because my $32+/hour wage can't keep up with inflation.....WAHHHHH!!!

vowl

up late
My union gives me the gift of 10.00 an hour on a part time job? I can't get fired for being a :censored2: who misses work? I need all the cash I can get. If I make it to the point that it helps me I will indeed join. Till then.....A sucker is born every day.

HubBub

My union gives me the gift of 10.00 an hour on a part time job? I can't get fired for being a :censored2: who misses work? I need all the cash I can get. If I make it to the point that it helps me I will indeed join. Till then.....A sucker is born every day.

You don't get healthcare or pension?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Good luck finding another PT job that provides a pension, healthcare without a premium, and just-cause job protection that keeps you from being fired because your manager doesn't like your face.

tumblr_lhusx4K6zE1qzlk3go1_500.jpg
tumblr_lhusx4K6zE1qzlk3go1_500.jpg

Overpaid Union Thug

How DARE those lazy people go to work for places like Walmart for $7.50/hour! That's WAYYYYY too much $paying them.

(and later)

WAHHHHHHHHHHHH, I voted no on the contract because my $32/hour wage can't keep up with inflation.....WAHHHHH!!!

Those lazy people won't go work at walmart for $7.50/hr (or UPS for $9.50/hr for that matter) because staying on government tit pays more. I read an article a while back that said many people on full government benefits recieves the equivalent of over $30/hr. Who is actually paying for this nonsense? WE ARE! Its inane and democrats would love to add more to the rolls. More votes.

cynic

Benefits - you have involved representation by your steward any time you may get into trouble. Think you're a model employee and won't get into trouble? Don't be so naive. You'll eventually misload or have some other performance related issue that you'll get written up for - at which point you calmly ask your PT sup for your union steward. I will not RTS a single thing - please get me my steward so he/she can RTS for me. To me that is my primary benefit. It is protecting my job and primarily my health benefits. Consider your dues insurance if you cannot see the benefit yet - I too work in an environment with LIGHT membership.

Downside - None.

The fact your PT supervisor won't tell you anything or give you insight on any issue is not surprising - I am amazed by how little PT sup's know about the contract. I am of the opinion that FT sup's and management want to keep the PT sup's that way and lean on them for things that are, by contract, wrong to do. It's the mushroom theory of management - keep 'em in the dark and feed them lots of bull*****.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The fact your PT supervisor won't tell you anything or give you insight on any issue is not surprising - I am amazed by how little PT sup's know about the contract. I am of the opinion that FT sup's and management want to keep the PT sup's that way and lean on them for things that are, by contract, wrong to do. It's the mushroom theory of management - keep 'em in the dark and feed them lots of bull*****.

This is a good observation. In my experience, most PT supervisors don't know anything about the contract. FT supervisors know a bit more -- mostly from experience and from getting grieved. Only the sort managers and above seem to be thoroughly trained in labor relations; UPS routinely has their sort managers attend regional grievance panels so they can learn what sort of discipline and terminations stick and which ones don't. I was told the labor managers give supervisors a class on labor relations during hub school (PT supervisor training) but I doubt that's still being done.

Sort Managers, Division Managers, and Corporate Guys love throwing out the word "panel" to scare union members; i.e. "We'll take this to panel and win," "This wouldn't look good at panel," "We're going to fire this guy and then the panel will uphold it," etc. Their knowledge doesn't really go much further than that and nine times out of ten they are categorically full of ****.

ups hero

I think you'd be crazy not to join. I'll admit there are times I get frustrated about union issues and contract issues.....but I will be a TEAMSTER FOR LIFE!! I'm very happy for all they've fought for in the past to give me what I have today. I'm still proud to be a Teamster and will gladly pay my share to have what I get.

stink219

I'd bet you would join if you negotiated your own raises, health and pension contributions from scratch. Join the union. There are Teamsters and then there are Scabs. Which one would you rather be?

HubBub

So anyone who doesn't think the situation is good is a 19th century scab?

If you're not happy with the compensation you should be looking elsewhere. Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of jobs out there. It wouldn't be hard to find an easier job with a higher wage, no healthcare, no pension, no raises, no job security.

If you aren't looking for other employment, that must mean you've accepted the reasons to stay. The raises you will be getting, the opportunities for higher paying jobs within the company, the top notch job security, the pension and healthcare are only there because of the union. Even if you weren't already receiving any of these things (which you are), the mere opportunity to get these things in the future is worth a few hundred bucks a year investment. Instead you want the payoff without the investment. If you aren't contributing to the union, then you are leech. Draining union resources without giving back.

Any self-respecting individual in your position would give themselves two options: join or leave.