Today's new holiday (MLK), cost UPS an est. $100-125 million in just holiday pay.

Nah
Big difference between Teamster union employees and total employees. There are many sources that will give you the total employee number at about 530K. All the non-union employees get paid too.
That figure is worldwide. Probably only American employees are getting MLK benefits.

YourMissingCallTag

AI already does far more complicated things today. It's just a matter of compiling all the data in the real world and implementation. Talking everything from knowing every variable that drivers know that is hard data for computers to know. Some simpler things like when schools let out and to avoid that street. Humans know that but today's Orion doesn't.
Hell today’s Orion can’t figure out which side of the street a house is on…..

JL 0513

Hell today’s Orion can’t figure out which side of the street a house is on…..

It knows, but doesn't care. If you zoom in on the map feature, all the house icons are sitting on the correct side of the street. When they're not pushing Orion I like to stay on map view and only deliver to the right and make right turns and do a proper loop.

pkgdriver

I'm not black
A2DF1FDC-4ADE-40AA-BF4A-409F7AFAF04F.gif

browned_out

Our center was closed for package, however feeder was told to report to work Monday evening as it was a normal work day. When dispatch was questioned on what volume we would be pulling, since there was nothing to pull from the center, they replied “who’s going to bring the preload their loads”. Well if no one’s working, who’s building those loads? Anyways we had 7 feeder drivers report to work, everyone pulled an empty to there TA. Out of the 7, only two pulled back volume. One bypass load (shorty loaded) and for our building one shorty with approximately 20 packages 🙄

The other five drivers came back the way they left Empty. So much for those preload trailers 😵‍💫

Package Stick

"Send it."
All the packages that were picked up and committed for today were already paid for. They will all be delivered and caught up by Thursday or Friday (barring inclement weather). Holidays in theory make more profit for UPS as they cut out any OT for the day, but more employees get paid instead of sending home extras. Either way, I don’t think it’s as detrimental as you might think. There are still feeder drivers moving work and probably all kinds of night sorts running tonight to keep large pick up volume moving. We might’ve missed out on some NDA opportunities today but overall I don’t think this is as much a cost to UPS as it appears.
I was one yesterday. CACH was a mess. Shifters dragging frozen brakes with mechanics chasing them lol.

All the packages that were picked up and committed for today were already paid for. They will all be delivered and caught up by Thursday or Friday (barring inclement weather). Holidays in theory make more profit for UPS as they cut out any OT for the day, but more employees get paid instead of sending home extras. Either way, I don’t think it’s as detrimental as you might think. There are still feeder drivers moving work and probably all kinds of night sorts running tonight to keep large pick up volume moving. We might’ve missed out on some NDA opportunities today but overall I don’t think this is as much a cost to UPS as it appears.
Thanks Dave