Too much business SORRY

dezguy

Because the average resi delivery costs more to service than the average business delivery.
Lol meanwhile we have our senior saying sales is aggressively going after e commerce customers and that Express doesn't have their fair share of e commerce customers, compared to our competition.

Serf

I remembered they said something similar about when the cost of fuel was at first too high, then too low. They spun it as both those predicaments were costing them (Express) money as well.

falcon back

I don’t understand how they can play this low yield residential garbage. Have you ever shipped express? It’s not cheap. Everyone shipping resi uses ground. We are not “low yield” anything. Fuel is record low, volume is record high, staff is underpaid, and we are expensive. You can’t rely on bulk business shippers. We’re the express airline branch. Businesses are rarely going to bulk ship express. Residentials are GOING to increase. So raise the cost to ship with us. Duh! Which they will do. But they are never quick to react. They have to pretend like it hurts us first then they’ll increase prices. They’ve perfected the quarterly earnings release. Pump up the stock holders with record earnings. Literally the BEST quarter the company has ever had. But throw a couple excuses in there for the senior managers to feed their employees. Not getting a step raise this year, after all this COViD “heroes work here” BS... has me looking for another job. The best quarter the company has ever had. And we’re not getting the raise we’re supposed to get. If that’s not a blatant slap in the face idk what is. If you can’t tell I’m furious lol. This company is so shady it’s honesty demoralizing.
Do you think the company makes more money delivering single piece stops to residential or multiple piece stops to businesses? Considering you can empty a full 900 in a decent warehouse area or you can have 15 cell phone deliveries an hr in a resi area, the business rt is gonna net way more $ than any resi rt. Businesses are more dense of an area, VERY few code 3 or code 8 and overall, a money maker.

fdxsux

Do you think the company makes more money delivering single piece stops to residential or multiple piece stops to businesses? Considering you can empty a full 900 in a decent warehouse area or you can have 15 cell phone deliveries an hr in a resi area, the business rt is gonna net way more $ than any resi rt. Businesses are more dense of an area, VERY few code 3 or code 8 and overall, a money maker.
Thanks for stating the obvious. Here’s something else that’s obvious. Fedex made 1.28 billion dollars this quarter. That’s record breaking territory for them. All while business deliveries are in the toilet and resi deliveries are through the roof. So while they might make more doing business deliveries it seems there is plenty of money to be made doing resi as well.

Aquaman

Because the average resi delivery costs more to service than the average business delivery.
Look at a truck full of residentials vs. a truck full of business deliveries. Both trucks are full. Both will be done in 8 hours. SAME COST. A truck having more bulk business stops is not going to result in more stops. That driver will go slower, take his time, and come back at the same time as the resi heavy driver busting his butt driving more miles... both trucks will run all day. One will just work harder. See this is the problem with management in this company. They look at numbers all day and lose touch with the actual jobs they manage. People run these routes, not robots. The only difference between a route running business stops vs residentials is the effort required from the driver. If anything business heavy routes are less lucrative due to heavy discounts provided to shippers who ship a lot. You’ve got discounted freight on a truck with a driver taking his time. Please tell me how that’s more profitable than a truck full of non discounted residentials with a driver that’s rarely stopping.

falcon back

Look at a truck full of residentials vs. a truck full of business deliveries. Both trucks are full. Both will be done in 8 hours. SAME COST. A truck having more bulk business stops is not going to result in more stops. That driver will go slower, take his time, and come back at the same time as the resi heavy driver busting his butt driving more miles... both trucks will run all day. One will just work harder. See this is the problem with management in this company. They look at numbers all day and lose touch with the actual jobs they manage. People run these routes, not robots. The only difference between a route running business stops vs residentials is the effort required from the driver. If anything business heavy routes are less lucrative due to heavy discounts provided to shippers who ship a lot. You’ve got discounted freight on a truck with a driver taking his time. Please tell me how that’s more profitable than a truck full of non discounted residentials with a driver that’s rarely stopping.
You are clueless as to how costs are associated to various types of freight. Get someone to explain it to you
You dont actually believe the e Commerce deliveries to residentials are non discounted do you?

Last edited:

Aquaman

Most heavy shipping businesses are using us for the large discount they’re receiving. And an industrial park is in no way a denser area than a neighborhood. Not to mention you have to stop assuming residential deliveries are 1 package per stop. It’s 2020 and people are getting almost everything they buy delivered now. Residentials are faster, closer together, and never discounted. The company needs to stop pretending they’re not insanely profitable. The last quarter was their best ever. And what increased?..................................Residentials.

Aquaman

You are clueless as to how costs are associated to various types of freight. Get someone to explain it to you
You dont actually believe the e Commerce deliveries to residentials are non discounted do you?
How do you think we keep big accounts?.... we discount their freight. A truck full of residentials is probably more profitable because the shipments are smaller, hence more stops. And less discounted. Express is expensive to even ship a doc. One doc bag holds more revenue than a 95lb flat screen TV. What are you assuming a driver doing more bulk business stops is going to return to the station for more? Hahaha

falcon back

Most heavy shipping businesses are using us for the large discount they’re receiving. And an industrial park is in no way a denser area than a neighborhood. Not to mention you have to stop assuming residential deliveries are 1 package per stop. It’s 2020 and people are getting almost everything they buy delivered now. Residentials are faster, closer together, and never discounted. The company needs to stop pretending they’re not insanely profitable. The last quarter was their best ever. And what increased?..................................Residentials.
You must be a new hire because you are really showing your ignorance. Have a nice day

McFeely

Huge Member
Please tell me how that’s more profitable than a truck full of non discounted residentials with a driver that’s rarely stopping.

I would bet money that Target, Nike, Walmart, etc all get HUGE discounts, regardless if they’re going to residence or business. I just hope we’re not giving the service away for next to nothing like we did with Amazon.

What are you assuming a driver doing more bulk business stops is going to return to the station for more?

We have a PT bulk P1 driver that delivers about 400 pieces each day and is punched out by 1100 daily. On my city route with 100 deliveries, 150 pieces is a lot for my route and I’m doing 20 stops an hour.

falcon back

I would bet money that Target, Nike, Walmart, etc all get HUGE discounts, regardless if they’re going to residence or business. I just hope we’re not giving the service away for next to nothing like we did with Amazon.

We have a PT bulk P1 driver that delivers about 400 pieces each day and is punched out by 1100 daily. On my city route with 100 deliveries, 150 pieces is a lot for my route and I’m doing 20 stops an hour.
Aquaman is lost. His reasoning about resi stops being closer together and faster just dont make sense. Just as you pointed out. You might get off more stops per hr on a resi rt but very seldom will you have a piece count that matches a business rt. He claims resi stops are NEVER discounted. Like you said, big shippers get a discount no matter where the delivery is, then the resi surcharge kicks in. He mentioned document bags holding a bunch letters. How many residential stops get more than a few letters and how many business stops get an entire bucket of letters and docs? He just doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

Aquaman

Aquaman is lost. His reasoning about resi stops being closer together and faster just dont make sense. Just as you pointed out. You might get off more stops per hr on a resi rt but very seldom will you have a piece count that matches a business rt. He claims resi stops are NEVER discounted. Like you said, big shippers get a discount no matter where the delivery is, then the resi surcharge kicks in. He mentioned document bags holding a bunch letters. How many residential stops get more than a few letters and how many business stops get an entire bucket of letters and docs? He just doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.
The trucks hold the same amount of freight dude. A business getting 100 letters vs a house getting 1 letter are both coming off a Mercedes sprinter lol. A business getting 75 boxes vs. a house getting 1 box are both having a van pull up. This is express. Not Ground. Very few bulked out 900’s still running around.

MAKAVELI

That business bulk merely shifted to resi e-commerce.

Aquaman

On paper a business stop getting multiple packages makes FedEx more money than a resi stop getting 1 box. But the routes delivering the packages are equal. A business heavy route is going to do less stops. A resi heavy route will do more. They’ll both leave the station with a full truck. The only way you’re going to profit more from a business heavy route is if it takes out a bigger truck holding more freight. Which the company isn’t investing in anymore.

falcon back

Not where I am. 3 bob trucks running everyday. Each are 10 positions. Plus 5 or so FULL 900's that aquaman says doesnt exists anymore. Either way aquaman is still clueless. He thinks a 1 letter delivery to a resi is equal to a business getting 100 letters. What kind of math is that?

vantexan

On paper a business stop getting multiple packages makes FedEx more money than a resi stop getting 1 box. But the routes delivering the packages are equal. A business heavy route is going to do less stops. A resi heavy route will do more. They’ll both leave the station with a full truck. The only way you’re going to profit more from a business heavy route is if it takes out a bigger truck holding more freight. Which the company isn’t investing in anymore.
Must be different these days. Still had some stepvans when I retired in 2017. Those routes typically were bulked out while our Sprinters and econolines took out less freight. And that business box freight was heavier, charged more. Most Amazon is small and light. But things may be different now.