Total service provider

pkgdriver

8CEB1F4E-448C-4F7A-9EFC-DC736CD842AA.jpeg

quad decade guy

Not at all in my opinion. I would’ve never made any kids events if I had to be here 10 hours guaranteed every day, when my kids were young I had no problem making their events with an eight hour day
The only time I had an 8hr day in pkg was during qualifying. Back at the building at 17:30.

After that, I had the same heavy industrial route for 14 years. Basically 8 to 8.

Never saw my kid's anything. Just got to hear about it.

Later in feeders, I would have to take a day off or lose a lot of sleep to see my daughters recitals, swim meets etc.

And....that's just the way it was.

Mgt NEVER asked me about anything or cared about life/work balance....

MOF, anytime any hint of caring was quickly disappeared.......because on roads couldn't make anything work except 12 hour days. We all know the stories of needing time off for personal emergencies and being threatened.

Hell, anyone remember TLA's? Talk, Listen Answer.....

We have a "suggestion box in our dispatch office.....lololol.

quad decade guy

I will also say, if I'm going into work and all that entails......I want the longest day possible.....extract the most money I can.

You'll never get the time back.....can always make more money.

I've always written off the week. Live for the weekend.

I will quit if I have to work weekends or do local feeder CPU.

We have some lucrative and/or 4 day sleeper runs......yeah, starting Thursday running through Monday....no thanks.

I do remember watching folks with boats and pickups full of camping equipment and lawn chairs leaving the town I delivered in....on a Friday. Folks answering doors with a beer at 19:00 or 20:00 receiving their pkg......"Why are you working so late...?"

I also remember making a lot more money than most of em. Heard a lot of "Ya'll hiring?" "Where do I apply?". "I hear UPS is a great job...."

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
I want 3 consecutive 14's, OT after 12. Can only be forced a 4th day once in rolling 30 day period, 4th day paid at triple time.

Mini fridge on every truck and custom snack tray built into the dash.

quad decade guy

They tried this same thing about 15 yrs ago. I remember my center manager asking me how many hours I wanted. I said 8. His exact words were “ oh we can’t do that”. Then why the :censored2: are you asking me?
Exactly.

Every "new" approach, idea, futuristic....right turns only whatever is quickly forgotten an we move on. Delivering Our Future etc.

In reality, the pkgs keep coming.....Corporate wants more with less.....and we get dumped on along with everyone else top down. We have work to do and there is no other way than to get at it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They tried this same thing about 15 yrs ago. I remember my center manager asking me how many hours I wanted. I said 8. His exact words were “ oh we can’t do that”. Then why the :censored2: are you asking me?
Yeah we were told they need good info can’t have everyone putting 8 hours.

1) 6.5 to 7 is fine by me

2) if 8 is what people want it’s what they want.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So if they were to fix the preload, you could start drivers earlier. OT would be less of an issue for many.

For many the pm time is the issue.

Thebrownblob

We had consistency when I started. Go dig up the plans from 90’s. Boom consistency.
Yep.

When every route had a realistic time study. Going over 9.5 was rare.... except for peak.
It’s amazing how little technology was involved and they were able to be more efficient with dispatch, than now when they have all this technology that tells them exactly what’s coming.

Thebrownblob

The only time I had an 8hr day in pkg was during qualifying. Back at the building at 17:30.

After that, I had the same heavy industrial route for 14 years. Basically 8 to 8.

Never saw my kid's anything. Just got to hear about it.

Later in feeders, I would have to take a day off or lose a lot of sleep to see my daughters recitals, swim meets etc.

And....that's just the way it was.

Mgt NEVER asked me about anything or cared about life/work balance....

MOF, anytime any hint of caring was quickly disappeared.......because on roads couldn't make anything work except 12 hour days. We all know the stories of needing time off for personal emergencies and being threatened.

Hell, anyone remember TLA's? Talk, Listen Answer.....

We have a "suggestion box in our dispatch office.....lololol.
Why in the world didn’t you ever get an eight hour day 14 years in? And how are you working in industrial route until 8 PM? That’s some late pickups, I have an industrial route last pick up closes at 6:30pm. Having said that there used to be a lot more flexibility and even when I had low seniority most of the high seniority people around me helped me get done if I didn’t get approved eight hour day. Seem to be lots more camaraderie back then. Generally wasn’t a huge problem unless it was a Monday or Friday those seem to be the days that were unattainable for low seniority to get an eight hour day back then. That’s not to say I didn’t go in Brown’s to quite a few functions but at least I was there. With a 10 hour schedule it would’ve been impossible.

quad decade guy

Why in the world didn’t you ever get an eight hour day 14 years in? And how are you working in industrial route until 8 PM? That’s some late pickups, I have an industrial route last pick up closes at 6:30pm. Having said that there used to be a lot more flexibility and even when I had low seniority most of the high seniority people around me helped me get done if I didn’t get approved eight hour day. Seem to be lots more camaraderie back then. Generally wasn’t a huge problem unless it was a Monday or Friday those seem to be the days that were unattainable for low seniority to get an eight hour day back then. That’s not to say I didn’t go in Brown’s to quite a few functions but at least I was there. With a 10 hour schedule it would’ve been impossible.
Well, good questions...

Every new pickup in my area, I got. Was up to 50 when I went to feeders. Was picking some up at 19:00.

NDA's to the airport became a problem.....For someone...

I might have 20 resins after pickup's....

8 hour days were unheard of. No such thing as 9.5 back then unless mgt wanted it.

I got no help because everyone else had their own problems.

My WIFE STAYED HOME AND DID THE KID STUFF. I made the money. Just the way it was.