Total Solar Eclipse (TSE) - August 21, 2017 (On Topic)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I live in the totality path.
The eclipse will make first the first landfall in the continental US on the beach in Lincoln City, which is about 45 minutes from my house on a normal day. It will probably be a 4-6 hour drive on Monday. All major freeways in my state are expected to be gridlocked. All motel rooms and campsites have been sold out for months. The population of Oregon is expected to more than double, since it its here first and we will get both the California and the Washington/ Canada crowd. People are being warned to stock up on food, gas and cash since these commodities could temporarily run out. Crazy times. I went ahead and took an optional holiday because work is already enought of a disaster on Mondays as it is.

oldngray

nowhere special
I live in the totality path.
The eclipse will make first the first landfall in the continental US on the beach in Lincoln City, which is about 45 minutes from my house on a normal day. It will probably be a 4-6 hour drive on Monday. All major freeways in my state are expected to be gridlocked. All motel rooms and campsites have been sold out for months. The population of Oregon is expected to more than double, since it its here first and we will get both the California and the Washington/ Canada crowd. People are being warned to stock up on food, gas and cash since these commodities could temporarily run out. Crazy times. I went ahead and took an optional holiday because work is already enought of a disaster on Mondays as it is.

I saw the rental car companies overbooked and left a lot of people who reserved early out of luck.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't understand the draw. You see darkness every night anyhow.
Seems like a big PIA.
I've been in a partial eclipse where the sun was not showing much and it was cool.
Whites glimmer and the hues are off on other colors.
It's like dancing at a club with really good pulsating lights and your 'MAD' is kicking in.

MAD - Mind Altering Drug

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't understand the draw. You see darkness every night anyhow.
Seems like a big PIA.
I dont know that I would drive 500 miles to see it, but I do understand why it is so fascinating. It is a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical phenomenon. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Waiting to go into the planetarium at Young Harris College for a presentation on the solar eclipse.

F085DC9C-5197-4B2D-AE68-3467148404A1.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
Waiting to go into the planetarium at Young Harris College for a presentation on the solar eclipse.

View attachment 151231

I saw some schools are going to close because they are afraid the little kiddies will hurt themselves staring at the Sun.

The superintendent of Jefferson Area Local Schools said Thursday that the eclipse could pose a risk to students who view it even inadvertently while at school or on the bus ride home.

The day will be used as a service day for faculty and staff.

Jefferson is about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northeast of Cleveland. The area will see a partial solar eclipse from about 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday.

And the Post Office is issuing some stamps for it.

Untitled.png

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I saw some schools are going to close because they are afraid the little kiddies will hurt themselves staring at the Sun.

The superintendent of Jefferson Area Local Schools said Thursday that the eclipse could pose a risk to students who view it even inadvertently while at school or on the bus ride home.

Jefferson is about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northeast of Cleveland. The area will see a partial solar eclipse from about 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday.

View attachment 151232

Trust me, my little "kiddies" won't be looking directly at it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

View attachment 151232
Some optometrist basically said don't let kids watch it they'll go blind.

And now everyone is freaking out

rod

Retired 22 years

View attachment 151232

Apparently kids were smarter years ago. I don't recall any schools shutting down in "79" during the last one. I say let the schools stay open---the gene pool needs cleaning out anyway.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've got people contacting me left and right. Seems like it's really blowing up the last few days.

Told a lady today I have room for over 2000 vehicles. She told me I will run out of room. If I do that's freaking awesome.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Do not look at the sun without ISO NASA certified lenses.

Bought solar binoculars from Amazon. They were delivered today, tried them out and everything's black except the sun.

We're going to use them to take a look at the eclipse. Why not? Probably not spectacular here since it's only 60%, but going to look anyway. Hopefully it's not a cloudy day here on Monday. Even it's perfect conditions here there will be better pics and video on the internet than we will ever be able to see from here.