Total Solar Eclipse (TSE) - August 21, 2017 (On Topic)

rod

Retired 22 years
Do not look at the sun without ISO NASA certified lenses.

Bought solar binoculars from Amazon. They were delivered today, tried them out and everything's black except the sun.

We're going to use them to take a look at the eclipse. Why not? Probably not spectacular here since it's only 60%, but going to look anyway. Hopefully it's not a cloudy day here on Monday. Even it's perfect conditions here there will be better pics and video on the internet than we will ever be able to see from here.

So now if Tony turns up blind it won't be because of self abuse.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do not look at the sun without ISO NASA certified lenses.

Bought solar binoculars from Amazon. They were delivered today, tried them out and everything's black except the sun.

We're going to use them to take a look at the eclipse. Why not? Probably not spectacular here since it's only 60%, but going to look anyway. Hopefully it's not a cloudy day here on Monday. Even it's perfect conditions here there will be better pics and video on the internet than we will ever be able to see from here.
I'll be shooting two cameras using filters that I made with some film from Germany.
I'll have to remove the filters during Totality and put them back on before totality ends.
Certainly the most spectacular and awe-inspiring phase of the eclipse is totality. For a few brief minutes or seconds, the Sun’s pearly white corona, red prominences, and chromosphere are visible ( The Experience of Totality). The great challenge is to obtain a set of photographs that captures these fleeting phenomena. The most important point to remember is that during the total phase, all solar filters must be removed. The corona has a surface brightness a million times fainter than the photosphere, so photographs of the corona are made without a filter. Furthermore, it is completely safe to view the totally eclipsed Sun directly with the naked eye.

One of the cameras, I will be doing a multiple exposure ... maybe 4 on either side of totality which I will position in the center.

I know none of mine will be as good as the NASA scientists and astronomers.
I have two friends who are astro photographers and solar photographers.
I will share them to my FB page I'm sure.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'll be shooting two cameras using filters that I made with some film from Germany.
I'll have to remove the filters during Totality and put them back on before totality ends.
One of the cameras, I will be doing a multiple exposure ... maybe 4 on either side of totality which I will position in the center.

A NASA executive is renting a house close to here for 35k this week!!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Certainly the most spectacular and awe-inspiring phase of the eclipse is totality. For a few brief minutes or seconds, the Sun’s pearly white corona, red prominences, and chromosphere are visible ( The Experience of Totality). The great challenge is to obtain a set of photographs that captures these fleeting phenomena. The most important point to remember is that during the total phase, all solar filters must be removed. The corona has a surface brightness a million times fainter than the photosphere, so photographs of the corona are made without a filter. Furthermore, it is completely safe to view the totally eclipsed Sun directly with the naked eye.

Maybe you can share the best one here!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Share them here please, I would really like to see them.

oldngray

nowhere special
HDflasher.jpg

P

pickup

Apparently kids were smarter years ago. I don't recall any schools shutting down in "79" during the last one. I say let the schools stay open---the gene pool needs cleaning out anyway.

I don't know of any public or private schools other than some colleges that are even open with about a week and half of time before the end of August.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
He is changing $10 for cars and $30 for an RV. He is not going to be selling any food or drinks, even though he could make a small fortune off doing so.

Used to park at a place for football games old man lived at this house
Would always have a keg of some cheap beer

For $10 you got a place to park and everybody in the car got a beer from his keg