Tough decisions ahead. Advice?

What do you think?

• Stay union

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Move on

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

10 point

Depends on your choice of a future. Had I known that I'd probably miss most of my children's school functions and never got to eat supper with my family I may have reconsidered taking the FT job.

The pressure is cult like and other than the compensation it's a thankless job, top down anyway.

I say do what you like, not what just pays the bills. 26 will turn into 60 pretty quickly and there's more to life than paying the bills. My grandfather passed on and left a $30,000.00 house and between $5-6000.00 in his savings but I knew he'd be home at 5 PM for supper every night if I wanted to go over and see him.

Once you start driving you'll probably never get out of the "golden handcuffs".

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
That's not true, I worked with a lot of PT sups over the years who got promoted, not only within operations but to I.E., finance, corporate.

It is the worst job at UPS though.
In today's UPS my statement is the definition of truth. There may be the odd person here and there who escapes the bonds of PT supervision but that is certainly the exception. UPS wants a high turnover rate for PT supes

Holydriver

A Little about myself. I'am 26 years old and graduated from Cal Poly Pomona with a degree in Business Administration/Operations and Supply Chain Management almost 2 years ago. I have yet to find a decent job and I'm considering part time management to get some experience under my belt to help round out my resume. However, I am approaching my 5th year as a part time hourly and throwing away 5 years of seniority and the option of driving one day is weighing on me heavily. Granted I'm in socal and the wait is about 10 years right now.. I still feel like I would be opting out of solid backup plan. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
I personally find myself at odds with others' opinions on this site. The money and benefits are fine, but staying here for those two reasons are rather stupid in my opinion. You have a degree, dedicate yourself to getting a job there. Or start a master's program. Sure it'll cost money, but eventually you'll get a good job and start having a life outside of work. UPS has no work/life balance. It's work all week every week. It's horrible, man.

I personally find myself at odds with others' opinions on this site. The money and benefits are fine, but staying here for those two reasons are rather stupid in my opinion. You have a degree, dedicate yourself to getting a job there. Or start a master's program. Sure it'll cost money, but eventually you'll get a good job and start having a life outside of work. UPS has no work/life balance. It's work all week every week. It's horrible, man.
It gets a little better when you get maximum vacation time.

Holydriver

Have you looked into other jobs at UPS? Not everything at UPS involves loading and unloading packages, or delivering them.
These positions outside of delivery are probably less stressful. I figure the people working at HQ in Atlanta don't have their supervisors on their asses all the time. Big ups is probably a regular old 9-5 with less stress

ArcherUTR

That's not true, I worked with a lot of PT sups over the years who got promoted, not only within operations but to I.E., finance, corporate.

It is the worst job at UPS though.

It shouldn't be though. They are the guidance at the core of what we do. They should be the leaders in guiding this ship to safer and profitable harbors.

Instead they teach people how to damage packages, and then smoke weed with them after work.

I blame their bosses for being slimy, backstabbing, promotion whores.

Well trained hourlies who care are this companies only hope to remain an industry leader.

ArcherUTR

OP, our company needs good people in management. But it is very hard over time to continue to care about doing the right thing.

If you think you are up for making a difference in the company, then God bless you. If you are doing it strictly for personal motives, it ain't worth it.

Doc Brown

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it. I understand the negative stigma around part time supervison, but it seems like it's hit or miss. Some of the guys I talk to say they actually enjoyed the job or were able to get gainful employment with that experience on their resume. The more I think about it the more I feel like I need an exit strategy from this place. If I pencil it out I'm looking at 5 years to score a driver job and 4 years after that until I would hit top pay. I would be 36 and wondering what if. It's a risk to be sure, but I'm realizing that I need to be constantly moving in some direction to be happy and that this time I've spent in limbo have been some the worst of my life. We have an opening on the ramp for a different sort that is rumored to have much better management than where I work now. It feels like the kind of change I need and who knows with hard work it could lead somewhere.