Trading Places. Am I nuts?

Jack_Burton

Hello folks, I'm currently a driver for the competition that isn't affiliated with the government or the color yellow. Let's just call them company X.
I've been part time at X for 2 years now. (If you call working up to 15 hours a day without a break "part time")
Just recently I was told I was going to be displaced and losing my morning route after peak.
I had an interview for Brown this morning about seasonal driver helper. And while I'm going to be taking a huge cut in pay, hours and benefits. I can help but think the grass is greener on the other side. I'm also hoping to get my foot in the door as I've dreamed of being a UPS driver since I was zygote and the scoundrel my mamma thought might have been my daddy was a UPS driver.

The problems I have with my current gig? I've worked 6 days a week for the past two years and my manager wouldn't even pull me aside to let me know ahead of time that they were putting my route of for bid and combining it with something else to make a full time position. He sent me a message on the DADS unit basically saying, "I thought I should let you know that your route is going up for bid tomorrow."
They call this being displaced.
I've talked to him and he wants me to hang in there, but I can't help but to think it sounds like a ploy for them to load me up a rental van with 200 stops a day for the next six weeks to help them get through peak.

So what are the chances I can get more than a seasonal position out of this? The HR rep says my experience for the past couple of years is a big plus. Does the fact that I can process international documents/packages, dangerous goods or run the counter earn me any brownie points so to speak?

I just want to hear opinions for better or worse from the people that make this company tick!:thumbup1:

SmithBarney

About the only thing useful to you at UPS will be your area knowledge.
Everything else you will be retrained on.

We have 3 ex-fred drivers in our ranks now. Being a Driver's helper,
not sure how much it will help to get in, but once your in,(if you get in
permanently) you'll find you may have a bit of a wait till
you can drive full time, my wait was 6 months, other larger centers have
5-10year waits...

(everywhere is different, ask a local UPS driver what he
thinks as far as wait time, we generally have a good idea, our last 5-6
drivers were all hired off the street, cause nobody inside wanted the position,
granted we also lost 3-4 off the street hires cause they couldnt hack it).

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Go for a part-time non-seasonal union position. I won a full-time bid in 3 months at my new center. The smaller the center you work out of, the quicker you'll get in full-time.

Jack_Burton

5-10year waits...

I was told this morning at the station I would be working at that the wait to become a driver is 10-12 years!!!! Holly Cow!

brett636

I was told this morning at the station I would be working at that the wait to become a driver is 10-12 years!!!! Holly Cow!

Not too uncommon in some centers. Just keep in mind that is the wait time right now, and it can change later on. Case in point, when I started the average time in for a person to go fulltime was 7-8 years, but it jumped up to 10-12 years from 2003 to 2005, and finally it began dropping again. I have less than 6.5 years and I just went fulltime 2 weeks ago. Its also good to remember that there are a lot of soon to be retiring baby boomers in the UPS fulltime ranks, and that will open up a lot of positions in the coming years. If you are really up to the task of working part-time for peanuts until something opens up go for it, but there is never a garauntee that you will get something fulltime quickly.

Braveheart

It took me just over 6 years to go full time. There is always part time and that is good for the medical benefits and to make extra money you start in slowly by doing Saturday air. They will use you a lot during peak to help with airs and late air volume. There is also cover driving in the south. It will take you between 1 and 4 years where I am at to do cover driving and 2 to 6 years to do full time. Many guys took 8 years to go full time in my building but it has improved a little.

Last edited:

Braveheart

5-10year waits...

There are a couple things the new F_d _x guy needs to realize. The first is that we do both deliveries and pick ups. Not one or the other. The second is the over all average weight of our boxes will be heavier than the other guys. The third is the overall volume of boxes will be higher on deliveries and pick ups. Good luck. At least the guy knows what hi-paced work is all about.

DS

Fenderbender
In any given week I get at least 2 days from hell.
Yesterday I del 210 pkgs. 70 deliveries,mostly industrial
and commercial (about 20 resis).I have 23 reg p/u and had 18 oncalls.
Picked up 285 pcs..almost cubed in my p800.Did 11 1/2 hrs paid.
Get used to this.
It may be different where you are. I`m in Toronto Canada.
If you came here they`d hire you off the street as part time,at $12
an hr ,and if they like you its 2 1/2 years till full time.
If you go to Calgary or Edmonton they start you at around $15
an hr,because theres tons of easier jobs that pay just as well.
Good luck JB
peak is a good time to prove yourself if indeed you can

huskres

In any given week I get at least 2 days from hell.
Yesterday I del 210 pkgs. 70 deliveries,mostly industrial
and commercial (about 20 resis).I have 23 reg p/u and had 18 oncalls.
Picked up 285 pcs..almost cubed in my p800.Did 11 1/2 hrs paid.
Get used to this.
It may be different where you are. I`m in Toronto Canada.
If you came here they`d hire you off the street as part time,at $12
an hr ,and if they like you its 2 1/2 years till full time.
Good luck JB
peak is a good time to prove yourself if indeed you can

You only do 70 deliveries? Thats not to bad at all...how many miles do you drive one you hit your first stop til your last?

hoser

Industrial Slob
Hello folks, I'm currently a driver for the competition that isn't affiliated with the government or the color yellow. Let's just call them company X.
I've been part time at X for 2 years now. (If you call working up to 15 hours a day without a break "part time")
Just recently I was told I was going to be displaced and losing my morning route after peak.
I had an interview for Brown this morning about seasonal driver helper. And while I'm going to be taking a huge cut in pay, hours and benefits. I can help but think the grass is greener on the other side. I'm also hoping to get my foot in the door as I've dreamed of being a UPS driver since I was zygote and the scoundrel my mamma thought might have been my daddy was a UPS driver.

The problems I have with my current gig? I've worked 6 days a week for the past two years and my manager wouldn't even pull me aside to let me know ahead of time that they were putting my route of for bid and combining it with something else to make a full time position. He sent me a message on the DADS unit basically saying, "I thought I should let you know that your route is going up for bid tomorrow."
They call this being displaced.
I've talked to him and he wants me to hang in there, but I can't help but to think it sounds like a ploy for them to load me up a rental van with 200 stops a day for the next six weeks to help them get through peak.

So what are the chances I can get more than a seasonal position out of this? The HR rep says my experience for the past couple of years is a big plus. Does the fact that I can process international documents/packages, dangerous goods or run the counter earn me any brownie points so to speak?

I just want to hear opinions for better or worse from the people that make this company tick!:thumbup1:

Hmmm, Company X sounds too incriminating. Let's call this company friend. Well, why not call it, FX? Oh, crap...

First off, the grass is not always greener on the other side, but the grass is pretty yellow where you're coming from. I'd suggest to stick with FX, get through peak, and see what happens. But if you feel you're going to get used (history tends to repeat itself), then it's time for a change. You'll hate UPS after coming from FX, but you'll LOVE the direct deposit you get every friday.

And you guys STILL use DADS unit? I thought the powerpad made the DADS obsolete?

Experience in processing international documents? :lol: You mean pulling one waybill for billing and another waybill and CI form for DE is your mastery? :laugh::laugh:

I worked at FX, busted my ass off as a casual courier for 6 months, then was forced to resign after an incident with a security guard where I just drove off as he was yelling at me, resulting in him chasing me with his orange beacon. The company even hired two permanent couriers before me and I had no right to a grievance or anything. My workgroup manager would call me at least once a week at 0500 telling me to cover a route and I showed up at 0700 with a smile and a nod because I loved my job, I loved the company, and I knew I was good at what I did, The downtown workgroup manager was even going to snatch me and put me into a perm PM pup route for the week after I was forced to quit because the numbers I posted on a cover route consistently exceeded those of his 10 year senior driver. Despite this, I was sold down the river because I lost my patience on a completely new route on my 8th hour on Thursday after working about 35 hours prior to that day. FX treats their run-of-the-mill employees who do a good enough job and are too lazy to care but never the hard working type who make an error in judgement. It sucks and I really know how you feel.

UPS is a much different corporate culture. Way more bare-bones. Unionized. You get the good and the bad of the union. They'll pay you well and protect you from the crap I faced at purple, but the environment isn't the most fun. You'll get worked into the ground and you'll miss FX. But in 2 years (should you land it) you'll be making way more than at FX.

It's hard to say whether or not you'll get a perm position. It depends on the labour market (we're short 10 friend/t drivers and shipping in mechanics from across the country to work at our centre until we find replacements) and the centre's numbers. Getting a seasonal position is a good start, but remember, it's no guarantee. If you bust your ass off, become flexible, show clear interest in continuing on, you're golden. Also get to know not just your driver supervisor, but the centre manager. Get to know him on a first-name basis within the first week. Talk to him lots; be honest, but tactful ("yeah, we sure earn our paycheque here", not "OMGZ you fagz work me too hard"), and make it obvious that you want a perm position. Even submit a letter of intent on your last week. The worst that would happen is he would genuinely keep you in mind for future openings.

Best of luck, I really regret to hear about your experience with FX. :wink:

I
$16.60 actually :wink:

but good luck acquiring permission from immigration granting you the privilege to start a new life here.

Jack_Burton

There are a couple things the new F_d _x guy needs to realize. The first is that we do both deliveries and pick ups. Not one or the other. The second is the over all average weight of our boxes will be heavier than the other guys. The third is the overall volume of boxes will be higher on deliveries and pick ups. Good luck. At least the guy knows what hi-paced work is all about.
As a part timer I average about 40 deliveries and 40-50 pickups a day. I'll start around 8 o'clock, be on the road around 9:00 and be done delivering at 11:00. From there I go on extended lunch unless I'm needed elsewhere and start my pickups around 14:00. I get back to the station at 18:30 and inspect and process packages and paperwork and finally park the trucks and get out by 20:30.

I run a shuttle on Saturdays that I have to load and off load that contains 40-50 pieces that way 100-150 pounds. The weight and work doesn't concern me. I'm still fairly young and my joints are holding out alright. I've never been afraid of a little hard work and have put in many 12+ hour days without a single break (including a few 15 hour days!) when it was needed.

After peak they won't make any commitment to me even though this is how I've worked there for past couple of years.

Last edited:

Jack_Burton

Hmmm, Company X sounds too incriminating. Let's call this company friend. Well, why not call it, FX? Oh, crap...
Damn you Union Boys are smart! :laugh: My cover is blown. :cool:

First off, the grass is not always greener on the other side, but the grass is pretty yellow where you're coming from. I'd suggest to stick with FX, get through peak, and see what happens. But if you feel you're going to get used (history tends to repeat itself), then it's time for a change. You'll hate UPS after coming from FX, but you'll LOVE the direct deposit you get every friday.

I'm leaning towards the advice posted earlier in the thread and maybe trying to get in after peak at some point. It just makes more sense to me to get as much out of my current position during peak and then see how everything else works out. Besides now I've to worry about the Ex-DHL guy that starts there Monday! I did get a call from the HR rep and will have to call her back tomorrow.

And you guys STILL use DADS unit? I thought the powerpad made the DADS obsolete?

We are still using the trackers that are almost as old as I am. Powerpads keep getting pushed back. So much for this company be on the technological forefront! It may have been 20 years ago. The stock is doing good and I guess that's all that matters.:blushing:

Experience in processing international documents? :lol: You mean pulling one waybill for billing and another waybill and CI form for DE is your mastery? :laugh::laugh:

Well for the automated stuff you don't have to worry about it. I can process all the hand written stuff and make sure it's legit so it doesn't get held up in customs. CI's, SED's, COI's what ever certain countries require etc... Then I make sure all the paperwork is imaged and filed in it's proper place.

It sounds very similar to what I'm going through right now. I'm glad to see it worked out for you and hope it's in the cards for me as well!

hoser

Industrial Slob
yeah, you'll miss the air operation and organization when you go brown. properly packaged, predominately envelopes, important time-critical documents..
at brown get half-assedly pacakged, predominately back breaking boxes, and useless back-breaking crap like grocery store flyers.

but better pay and benefits... BUT no flights or discounted shipping! :(

good luck to you sir.

Jack_Burton

Okay, after some recent changes at my current employer I'm definitely ready to jump ship. The question is where do I relocate so I don't have to wait 10 years to start driving again?
People have recommended to me growing and booming areas, Florida, Phoenix, etc... I'm willing to relocate, but think I could only handle being a handler for 6 months to a year. (Pun intended)
Anyone work at place where that's fairly realistic? Any new hubs opening anywhere?

Thanks Guys and Girls!

txmomof2b2g

I would go to upsjobs.com and look to see who is hiring off the streets for drivers. There are some out there. If you are willing to relocate then just put in a state and for driver and see what it pulls up, and then apply!

tieguy

Banned
As a part timer I average about 40 deliveries and 40-50 pickups a day. I'll start around 8 o'clock, be on the road around 9:00 and be done delivering at 11:00. From there I go on extended lunch unless I'm needed elsewhere and start my pickups around 14:00. I get back to the station at 18:30 and inspect and process packages and paperwork and finally park the trucks and get out by 20:30.

wow , 8 to 8:30 with a 5 hour lunch in the middle. heck of a part time job.

BCFan

yeah TieGuy helluva gig ... i would not mind just being able to take a full hour lunch in the middle of the day.....BC

JB3

Mgmt
I think you should talk witha UPS Human Resources person. See if they can place you in a hub or center where you can go driving in the near future. You can become a UPS driver and you may even be able to get hired right off the street. Where do you currently live?

Jack_Burton

I think you should talk witha UPS Human Resources person. See if they can place you in a hub or center where you can go driving in the near future. You can become a UPS driver and you may even be able to get hired right off the street. Where do you currently live?
I'm in Upstate NY currently and wouldn't mind going out west or down south.
Thanks for advice folks. I've been checking the Careers page and applying like crazy. Hopefully I'll hear back from someone.