Traffic camera catches UPS truck hitting pedestrian

oldngray

nowhere special
The driver was definitely wrong to leave the scene but her claims look to be more about getting money from UPS than anything else. If she hadn't gone to local TV station to publicize her case UPS would have quietly paid her off. Now UPS is in a situation where they are forced to fight her in court and can't admit guilt.

10 point

I have a question...the whole thing is allegedly caught on camera right? Why is this only a civil case..why wasn't the driver arrested and charged with leaving the scene of an accident? Maybe he did report it to his center, and was working as directed when he left the scene...
Charges could still come or may be pending. Vehicular assault may be a done deal yet among others.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Charges could still come or may be pending. Vehicular assault may be a done deal yet among others.
It said at the end of the video, her lawyer is hoping to convince the prosecution to file charges against the driver. My initial reaction was how could anyone leave, but after thinking about it....there's definitely two sides to this story that we're not hearing....JMO

I wonder if he'll get his job back....

I can imagine him coming back " I didnt know I hit her, i left because I had to make pick up compliance"

But seriously though the driver though is at fault... should have not left ... not smart

Last edited:

10 point

It said at the end of the video, her lawyer is hoping to convince the prosecution to file charges against the driver. My initial reaction was how could anyone leave, but after thinking about it....there's definitely two sides to this story that we're not hearing....JMO
The video showed the truck hit her and drag her off the crosswalk.

How in anyone's mind could you just leave that lady lying in he road and not call 911? And just drive away?

He's REALLY lucky it wasn't a child. Could've crushed a child to death.

What if that lady would have had internal bleeding and died?

Why would anyone, especially a UPS driver, not stay in that situation until medical assistance got there? Beside maybe the shock of what happened and the inevitable things to follow it really sealed his fate.

oldngray

nowhere special
I can't imagine the driver leaving if her injuries were as bad as she claimed. If she said she was OK and looked unhurt and didn't need medical aid he might have thought it was OK to leave. And later the woman decided to sue and may not really be hurt as bad as she claims. We need the full story before reaching any conclusions.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The video showed the truck hit her and drag her off the crosswalk.

How in anyone's mind could you just leave that lady lying in he road and not call 911? And just drive away?

He's REALLY lucky it wasn't a child. Could've crushed a child to death.

What if that lady would have had internal bleeding and died?

Why would anyone, especially a UPS driver, not stay in that situation until medical assistance got there? Beside maybe the shock of what happened and the inevitable things to follow it really sealed his fate.
I'm not saying the driver should've left....it's possible he was in shock and panicked. It is a physiological primal instinct to run away....fight or flight. People react differently in stressful situations...it's easy to say how we would've acted until you're IN that situation. Even the most level headed people can react surprisingly, or differently when they're in shock.

But we don't know what he did afterwards, or whether he reported it to his center. I believe that if he just left and never said a word to anyone about it, he would've eventually been arrested for leaving the scene.

Last edited:

10 point

I'm not saying the driver should've left....it's possible he was in shock and panicked. It is a physiological primal instinct to run away....fight or flight. People react differently in stressful situations...it's easy to say how we would've acted until you're IN that situation. Even the most level headed people can react surprisingly, or differently when they're in shock.

But we don't know what he did afterwards, or whether he reported it to his center. I believe that if he just left and never said a word to anyone about it, he would've eventually been arrested for leaving the scene.
I wonder what the driver wouldve done if the driver knew it was on video.
If he would've reported it to his center they would have made him stay at the scene until they got there.

Johney

He ran her over she went under the truck and was run over by the right rear wheels. Did anybody else not see this? Scam the company? You've got to be kidding me. There is no way she could have walked away from that. Appears to be a P1000 on it's way back to center maybe? Most likely loaded down and heavy.She's lucky it was only her legs that got crushed. That guy not only lost his job but I suspect will be in trouble with the law.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Honestly, if the driver was in shock, it was probably the last thing on his mind. They never said he didn't call 911, they just didn't air his 911 call.

He ran her over she went under the truck and was run over by the right rear wheels. Did anybody else not see this? Scam the company? You've got to be kidding me. There is no way she could have walked away from that. Appears to be a P1000 on it's way back to center maybe? Most likely loaded down and heavy.She's lucky it was only her legs that got crushed. That guy not only lost his job but I suspect will be in trouble with the law.
I agree she was obviously injured...but it was 5 months ago..how come we didn't hear about this on the news sooner? And if he didn't report it and just left the scene to continue his route, why wasn't the driver arrested by now? It doesn't take but 5 minutes to identify the driver with telematics, even if it wasn't caught on video!

In the middle of the video, her lawyer says that the driver "testified" that he didn't know he'd hit anyone. It would seem that he's already been cleared of criminal wrongdoing.

Last edited:

Johney

Honestly, if the driver was in shock, it was probably the last thing on his mind. They never said he didn't call 911, they just didn't air his 911 call.

I agree she was obviously injured...but it was 5 months ago..how come we didn't hear about this on the news sooner? And if he didn't report it and just left the scene to continue his route, why wasn't the driver arrested by now? It doesn't take but 5 minutes to identify the driver with telematics, even if it wasn't caught on video!
5 month's really isn't that long when a lawsuit is involved. She contacts an attorney, they start processing paperwork to gain access to evidence(camera's, interviewing witnesses,etc.)this process takes a good amount of time. Now had she been killed it would have been a criminal investigation from the beginning and evidence obtained quickly. Right now it is strictly a civil case. It takes time for an attorney to request and get this type of evidence in a civil case. I'm sure UPS didn't just offer up the Telematics report because someone asked for it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
5 month's really isn't that long when a lawsuit is involved. She contacts an attorney, they start processing paperwork to gain access to evidence(camera's, interviewing witnesses,etc.)this stuf takes a good amount of time. Now had she been killed it would have been a criminal investigation from the beginning and evidence obtained quickly. Right now it is strictly a civil case. It takes time for an attorney to request and get this type of evidence in a civil case. I'm sure UPS didn't just offer up the Telematics report because someone asked for it.

Yes, civil cases can take years, but you're missing my point. This news story is trying to spin it as some :censored2:bag driver mowing down a pedestrian, and leaving the scene so he could avoid getting in trouble with his job and the law. That is obviously not the whole story.

Johney

Yes, civil cases can take years, but you're missing my point. This news story is trying to spin it as some :censored2:bag driver mowing down a pedestrian, and leaving the scene so he could avoid getting in trouble with his job and the law. That is obviously not the whole story here.
I'm sorry but that's exactly what it sounds/looks like what happened to me. Was he scared about losing his job? I'm sure. But how he handled it only made his problem worse.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm sorry but that's exactly what it sounds/looks like what happened to me.
Well I don't know for sure, I wasn't there. But if the driver left, never called the center, and never said a word to anyone until the cops and ups tracked him down via the camera footage and telematics...UPS would've thrown him to the wolves and had him fired, and walked out the building in handcuffs to protect their image, and publicly condemned his actions...jmo.

bbsam

Staff member
If he would've reported it to his center they would have made him stay at the scene until they got there.

I was thinking yesterday that we may as well assume at all times that we're on video. The only question is will it show up on YouTube?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Strange that they never mention exactly what her injuries were. Local news loves detailing carnage. Can't blame her for being pissed, she easily could have been killed. Doesn't excuse her scamming the company (if that's what she's doing).
Even if she was hurt that bad why should ups owe her anything? Sure sue the driver but ups is in no way at fault here as a company. She or her lawyer saw $$$$$$$$ signs.