Training question

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Take as many training rides as you can get! Ask lots of questions and do all the driving. Make sure you get him or her to buy lunch too!

brownrecluse

I am a new seasonal driver, and I had 3 supervised rides prior to being cut loose to run the route on my own. Day 1 - Oncar Supe drove, explained route quirks, scheduled pickups, etc. I delivered and picked up all packages, and did all DIAD work. Day 2 - I drove and did the work while the Supe quizzed me on habits, 10 point, etc. Day 3 - I ran the route in its entirety, while the Supe watched... Day 4 - I was supposed to be on my own - but the center manager called in sick and my Oncar Supe had to cover center manager duties... so he called me and told me not to report to run the route... he had me jump instead. What a letdown...:dissapointed: I was ready. Maybe Monday...

I got one ride and then they threw me out on a route that is 90 percent business stops, I am coming in 3 hours over every night. Getting a warning for sheeting up a business after 5. I don't fully understand the procedures for missed stops. To top it off the center just opened a week before peak, and we only have one on car sup. I feel like I'm taking too much of his time when I go to ask questions or call. I'm stressing out because I have to make this job work. Any tips on how to be more efficient or faster?
Thanks.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I got one ride and then they threw me out on a route that is 90 percent business stops, I am coming in 3 hours over every night. Getting a warning for sheeting up a business after 5. I don't fully understand the procedures for missed stops. To top it off the center just opened a week before peak, and we only have one on car sup. I feel like I'm taking too much of his time when I go to ask questions or call. I'm stressing out because I have to make this job work. Any tips on how to be more efficient or faster?
Thanks.

Why would you want to do that? So they can give you 20 more housecalls or a(nother) split to end your run?

2Slow

Thanks.

It is your responsibility to let them know asap when you realize you won't be able to get your business delivered on time. They won't like it, but it puts the ball in their court.

As to hints... With only one day of training I don't know what to say.
There is a lot to this job and I have no idea where to start.
One big thing new guys do is stop moving. Don't stop moving. Ever.
Are you on EDD? Take 5 minutes in the building to look through EDD and look to see if there is anything big in the truck that needs to go early.
Do not ever stand and look in the back of the truck. Do not ever waffle over the best way to run trace. Pick one and deliver it. Do the next one. Do the next one. Do the next one. If you miss something, deliver it when you come through for pickups. (unless it is a saver)

brownrecluse

Thanks.
Sounds like you're in it up to your elbows Francis. As I am very new, I don't have a lot of experience to offer you. However, for what it's worth I could not have run my route very well at all with only one day of training.

Is it possible for you to get in contact with the driver (even at another center) that ran the route prior to you? He or she would most likely be more than happy to offer you some suggestions. Also, other more senior drivers are a great resource, and I find that most are very willing to offer advise. I am sure you probably have a manifest with all of your scheduled pickups, close times, etc. If not - get one as it's a great way (with a good map of your area) for you to visualize your pickup stops.

As far a missed stop proceedures... my supe told me that missing a pickup stop is not an option... just before he missed one on Thursday. At that point - supe called the center manager for guideance... not sure what was said.

As I see it, you only can do what you can do. Efficiency will come with experience - and hopefully some additional training. My route is commercial heavy as well, and I have to get all commercial deliveries off by 2:30 because I have 32 scheduled pickup stops as well. Once my last pickup is complete (5:45/6:00 ish) then I can deliver my last 30 - 50 residential stops... when possible always saving the same area(s) for delivery after dark...

I'm like you Francis... I need this job to work as well. As mentioned above - I am not a veteran driver, and I'm not sure if I have offered you anything that you haven't already thought of. Hopefully some veteran drivers will chime in as well.
Best of luck to you my friend. Let us know how it all works out! :peaceful:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess my real concern is that I will lose my job for not sheeting up packages correctly. The supervisor that did go for my one training ride called whoever is over our region to suggest that I would need more rides because with him driving the route and me running the stops(he did help get off the bulk), we barely made our pickups before businesses closed, got our residentials done and got to the building in time to get the volume off. Yet some how I am supposed to be able to do it myself after on trip. Any shop stewards on her who know if there is a rule about minimum training time?

2Slow

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess my real concern is that I will lose my job for not sheeting up packages correctly. The supervisor that did go for my one training ride called whoever is over our region to suggest that I would need more rides because with him driving the route and me running the stops(he did help get off the bulk), we barely made our pickups before businesses closed, got our residentials done and got to the building in time to get the volume off. Yet some how I am supposed to be able to do it myself after on trip. Any shop stewards on her who know if there is a rule about minimum training time?

Sorry... There are pretty much no union rules until you make your seniority. They do whatever the hell they like to you and you have to ask for more with a smile.

Sheeting packages... Basically it is delivered or not. If not, why not? closed? not in? moved? etc..

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
You cannot sheet any business stops as closed between 12:00 - 1:00 or after 5:00 pm. Like someone else suggested if you can't get your businesses delivered or pick-ups made by closing, call the center and let them know. That puts the monkey on their back and forces them to make a decision. They won't like it but I bet they already know they have too much work on you. They won't make any changes as long as you continue to work your butt off and get it done. The squeaky wheel gets the grease at UPS!

Thanks.

Work SMARTER not harder. Learn how the route is set up. See where you can adjust the route to work in YOUR favor. Ask QUESTIONS, dumbest question is the one NEVER ASKED. We all need to make this job work. At the same time, management needs to realize there is ONLY so much that CAN be done.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I totally feel your pain. The first time I went out on a route I hadn't even gone to school. They used me because I already had a good medical card ( I have had a class a cdl for 15 years.) They put me out on a rte that runs 120/140 stops and 90% is business. I had the regular rte drivers phone number because I preloaded for him. By the end of the day I had only about 50 stops done, the regular driver came to help me with his p/u (on his personal time) and I had to sheet about 80 stops as missed. (LITERALLY)!!!!!!!!!! It was insane. I told them I couldn't get it all done but they didn't have anyone to help. Oh well. Moral.........Call and tell them you can't get it done. If they don't do anything that's their problem. I have never gotten a warning letter for missed business, but have been threatened w/ it. Don't worry to much about sheeting incorrectly. They will let you know when you do and as long as you don't have to many repeat mistakes they will let it go. Remember " The faster I go the farther behind I get". Don't try to rush, rush, rush. That's when you'll make mistakes. Take your breaks and breathe. Breaks will help you unscramble your brain and breatheing will help keep you focused on what you are doing. You can only do one stop at a time. It will take awhile to get used to it but before long you'll see that you can do it.

Fnix

Would it be good to consider when first starting out to make no mistakes and dont worry about speed? Speed comes with time and it's not like they can do anything over speed. So just focus on the service parts rather then how fast you get back.

DS

Fenderbender
At first it seems impossible ,but you'll find if you relax,and have confidence in yourself,you can be so efficient on most days,that you can save time by delivering ground and air at the same time,whilst banging off resi's inbetween that you won't have to deal with later.If you are on a street with an air pkg,get rid of all other deliveries on that street if you can still make your commits,Take your lunch before you start your pickups.If you can't call them and make it thier problem,otherwise they will take advantage of you.And always use the handrail.