Turn by turn

dex 84

No. It's a training tool.

I don't know how everyone else learns but when I'm learning a new route I only use GPS as a last resort because if I don't have to find my way around by myself then I don't learn the area nearly as fast.

It's handy to have though. If I arrive at where something logically should be and it isn't there then I look around some more and if I can't find it or don't have the time to look then I punch it into Google maps. Of course sometimes it doesn't know either or just tells me where it should be, not where it is.

bbsam

Staff member
Give me 3, 5 days max on a route and I can do it efficiently. All without needing a GPS unit.
As a tool, it's a life saver. After time, it's an annoyance that the driver no longer needs or uses. 3, 5 days. 3 weeks if necessary. Who cares?

RedAngel

Any capable courier shouldn't need a GPS. GPS is nothing more than a crutch.
I guess I'm not capable then but in the Los Angeles SameDay market were your average miles per day exceeds 120 miles and everyday is a new stop you really don't have an alternative.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As a tool, it's a life saver. After time, it's an annoyance that the driver no longer needs or uses. 3, 5 days. 3 weeks if necessary. Who cares?

Yesterday I go up to a dock blocked by 2 Ground drivers. First off, they don't even need the effing dock because they have 5 packages. The first, who has been there 2 weeks, is training the second, who is on his first day. Between the 2 of them there is enough brain power to run a flashlight. After I roust them off the dock, they park directly in front of it looking at the GPS to figure out where the Hell they're going next. This is not making me, UPS, or Roadway very happy.

What you hire needs GPS, and that's because they're freaking morons.

bbsam

Staff member
Right. They never stop using it, so how is it a "training tool"? It's how they get the 7-11 clerk in the door and able to drive for FedEx.
Simply not true. I've used it with a driver and he no longer needs/uses it. Stop talking like you know how I do things.

Yeah. We get it. You hate Fedex.