UAW

Quagmire

feeder
There'll be no contract to negotiate in 2011 if there's no longer a company.

That's what the union doesn't 'get'. Companies are not forever. They do fold. They do go away.
Then the execs. should run a more efficient company, lemme guess they couldnt cause the mean old big bad union wouldnt allow it.

av8torntn

Lets clear up misconceptions, shall we;

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200811250012

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=1026e955-541c-4aa6-bcf2-56dfc3323682

The Federal Gov't isn't twisting the arm of the big three or any other failing businesses to rely on MaMa for failed enterprises. So if any failed enterprises what so ever comes calling, remember who's roof their living under whenever they can fall back on as their security blanket. Oh yeah, and tell that to Wall Street as well.

Im not sure what point you are trying to make. My point is simple. The Federal Government should not have the authority to take money from me and either lend it or take an ownership stake in a private business.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I think UPS will be looking closely at what kind of concessions the UAW will be willing to accept. They say they will not give in to ANY concessions but the closer they get to shutting the operations down they will concede as the reality of of just surviving will sock them on the side of their head.

When this peak is over, UPS will pare down operations to conform to the current economy, and don't for a second think that asking for concessions from the Teamsters would'nt be part of the equation.

filthpig

it all comes down to one thing: $$$$$$$$!
The UAW reps are rich anyway. They do not care about the rank and file. If GM and Chrysler go down, they're still rich.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think UPS will be looking closely at what kind of concessions the UAW will be willing to accept. They say they will not give in to ANY concessions but the closer they get to shutting the operations down they will concede as the reality of of just surviving will sock them on the side of their head.

When this peak is over, UPS will pare down operations to conform to the current economy, and don't for a second think that asking for concessions from the Teamsters would'nt be part of the equation.

I believe that 2013 will see some sort of concession, whether it be wage or paying a portion of our benefits.

diesel96

Wow! Two sources known for their hard right leanings! Both writers are sleeping with the AFL-CIO.

I’m in the market for a new car, when GM does the right thing and files for bankruptcy protection I’ll buy a new Chevrolet.

You and I both know that Bush is going to hand them a check. Kind of ironic considering how much bashing he took from the UAW and most every other union last election cycle.

FYI... Since you don't address the content of the links, they simply point out the anti-union pundit's intentional misconception of the total hourly labor cost to mfg a car vs what an hourly UAW makes every 60 minutes.

Lets face most people are not like you, they will be reluctant to buy a Chevy if they go thru bankruptcy and you know it. Cars are major purchases to the average Joe, along with continuing service and parts, it's not like buying an airline ticket.

Bush is taking a bashing buy more than 70% of the nation, not just the UAW and every other union. So what, it's not like Republicans and big buisness have a love affair with organized labor anyway. What do you want the American worker to do, cowar like a puppy and submit to unfair labor practises with no voice and a take it leave alternative.

Hoss, I’d suggest you take a deep sniff of the coffee aroma. The hard line northern union mindset is dying a slow painful death. Members of congress (both houses) are hearing a loud and clear message from their constituents, “No more handouts, for ANYONE!”

The attitude of many Americans paints union members as fat lazy dumb overpaid employees that couldn’t get fired for, well, anything. Think about it, how many folks think all we do is drive around all day. Unions have a serious PR problem. Don’t believe me? Spend some time outside the hard line union states.

By what definition are you painting "many Americans"....Hard line Red States ? The sparsely populated west, the bible belt, the south ?
Every working class stiff I know are envious of us and would give their right arm for our security and those who spread the bad PR may just have a jealouosly problem with Union members having a bigger and better piece of the pie.
After caving in to the tune of $700 Billion HANDOUT to the whitecollar community disegenuiously running this country to a halt even with Republican Administration support, ask yourself who's asking for the handouts, and why? Like they say at work...Get the big picture....How did the Big three's demise, snowball and turn into an avalanche ? By the hardline union mindset of the north...I don't think so.

Im not sure what point you are trying to make. My point is simple. The Federal Government should not have the authority to take money from me and either lend it or take an ownership stake in a private business.

So we should have let the cards fall as they are.....allow the colaspe of Wall Street and hold our breath.....:sick:

diesel96

Here’s what bothers me. Japanese companies, which for years have benefited from one-way deal by which they could sell cars in the U.S. while U.S. companies were stymied in selling cars and trucks in Japan, set up non-union plants in low-wage, low-education, right-to-work states where they can pay less wages and benefits to their workers. Of course, in Japan, these same companies recognize and work with unions, but not here, where they have a chance to undercut American firms that work with unions. Corker and these other great patriots want to allow these Japanese companies to dictate the wages and benefits that American companies pay their workers. It’s despicable. Imagine, for a moment, American companies being allow to operate in this manner in Japan or South Korea. It would not happen.

Overpaid Union Thug

How about the big three make the biggest sacrifice?

How about them eliminating ALL particpation in organized racing: NASCAR, TRUCKS, OPEN WHEEL, RALLY and any other competitive sport they spend billions of dollars on?

What about the savings just from this??

Just getting rid of NASCAR sponsorship, parts, development and R&D would save 5 billion dollars all by itself.

How many jobs can be saved, how many pensions can be paid, how many new people can be hired with 5 billion?

You talk sacrifices, but limit yourself to party line rhetoric.

Give us a break, support the end of domestic car participation of NASCAR and I will support larger employee sacrifices.

You dont have the cajones for that, I know.:dead:

There is no "party line" here. If people continue to bring politics into this then nothing will change. It's about making sacrifices to save a company. The "big 3" are going to make sacrifices just like the UAW will. You just don't hear about it because die hard union workers can only think about themselves. That selfishness, or flat out refusal to acknowledge those sacrifices by the non-union workers, is blinding them to the facts. I agree that all of these high dollar sponsorships should be reduced but it doesn't mean that everyone at these companies shouldn't make a sacrifice. Not just certain segments of the workforce.

You say I don't have "cajones" ?? That is funny because last time I checked I was man enough to step up to the plate and make sacrifices. I would be more than willing to accept a pay cut a across the board at UPS if it meant saving the company. People like you can only think about themselves and would rather see a company fail then accept your responsibility. So, it would seem that the "cajones" in question are all present and accounted for. On my end anyway. Maybe you and your UAW buddies need to form a line and have a massive grab, look right, and cough session to varify the existence of yours.

TSup

I believe that 2013 will see some sort of concession, whether it be wage or paying a portion of our benefits.

Well the Union controls most of the Locals Pension and Medical benefits, UPS just agrees with the Union on how much to give the Union each week. I am frankly surprised that you are not already paying some sort of weekly $$$ amount towards your Medical Benefits. Maybe if all the $$$ wasn't going to medical benefits, there would be some left to increase pensions?

It will be interesting to see h

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree. Her point, as I understood it, is that the joke portrayed the union employees in an unfavorable way. The last 2 lines said it best:

The Union Meeting
A union shop steward was addressing the workers at a union meeting ...
"I am pleased to advise all of you that we have agreed on a new deal with the management. We will no longer work four days a week."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled.
"We will finish work at 4 PM, not 5 PM."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled again.
We will start work at 10 AM, not 9 AM."
"Hooray!"
"We have a 110% pay increase."
"Hooray!"
"We will only work on Tuesdays." Suddenly, the crowd fell silent, until a voice from the back asked, "Every Tuesday?"

jnuts

Honestly, GM offered the Geo line as a gas saving alternative, but there was no demand for it. The fact is that Toyota is able to produce a far superior product for a slightly higher price. Imagine the demand of a GM truck if the labor and final cost where 33% less. Imagine American vehicles starting at under $10K for sedans and less for coupes.

If they wanted to match price point imagine the quality. Imagine too the money GM has wasted because the US government has no vision for energy in the future. Should they invest in Fuel Cell, CNG, Hydrogen, HHV, Electric or what?

Finally what do you drive? I drive only GM. What do I suggest they do. I suggest the file for Chapter 11 and leave Detroit for places where the economy has people looking for jobs and are willing to work for anyone and be thankful.

What does this have to do with UPS? Look at us as a company. We cost more to ship than anyone. Our company is forced to offer more to make up the difference. Ask around, people don't ship with us because we are too expensive. Sure our company is still posting huge profits, but that it is vital to carry large amount of cash reserves in order to prevent closure when the market goes sour. Point in case, the Big 3 are running out of cash.

I think I learned this at Business School 101 one day when I was in college, oh am still doing that working the preload.

Quagmire

feeder
I disagree. Her point, as I understood it, is that the joke portrayed the union employees in an unfavorable way. The last 2 lines said it best:

The Union Meeting
A union shop steward was addressing the workers at a union meeting ...
"I am pleased to advise all of you that we have agreed on a new deal with the management. We will no longer work four days a week."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled.
"We will finish work at 4 PM, not 5 PM."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled again.
We will start work at 10 AM, not 9 AM."
"Hooray!"
"We have a 110% pay increase."
"Hooray!"
"We will only work on Tuesdays." Suddenly, the crowd fell silent, until a voice from the back asked, "Every Tuesday?"
Yes I realize that, once again the mean old union is to blame for it all. Funny part is some supposedly intellegent college educated people believe it, and in some cases help negotiate these alleged "bad contracts". Thats the real joke. Dont misunderstand either, there is plenty of blame to go around on this, just kinda gets me that the rank and file get the blunt of the blame on this.

Quagmire

feeder
What does this have to do with UPS? Look at us as a company. We cost more to ship than anyone. Our company is forced to offer more to make up the difference. Ask around, people don't ship with us because we are too expensive.
The USPS is an absolute joke, DHL is gone and have you ever even seen them Fed-ex slobs...lololol , we do a damn good job...the gold standard of the industry, from feeders to the package guys to the folks in the hub,(and I guess a select few....very few... in management:wink2:) we make more, we charge more and yes we put on our uniforms and do it better than anyone else. You get what you pay for! I learned THAT in real life 101, and oh I'm doing that every day in feeders.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yeah, but if you look at total compensation packages, Toyota is somewhere around $48-$50 an hour and the big 3 are around $78 an hour. Big difference !!

That "total compensation package" includes retiree medical benefits, which in Japan are borne largely by the government in the form of socialized medicine. This gives Japanese automakers a competitive advantage.

If you take the cost of medical out of the equation...thereby comparing apples to apples...the compensation packages for Toyota vs. the Big 3 are almost equal.

Channahon

That "total compensation package" includes retiree medical benefits, which in Japan are borne largely by the government in the form of socialized medicine. This gives Japanese automakers a competitive advantage.

If you take the cost of medical out of the equation...thereby comparing apples to apples...the compensation packages for Toyota vs. the Big 3 are almost equal.

Help me understand your post. Are you saying US autoworkers for Japanese companies, will have the same benefits as Japanese emloyees?

705red

Browncafe Steward
"FYI...Toyota workers are compensated and have as good a pay package, if not more, than UAW workers. "

Yeah, but if you look at total compensation packages, Toyota is somewhere around $48-$50 an hour and the big 3 are around $78 an hour. Big difference !!

I think the union pres. will be out of a job shortly unless the "W" rides in to save the day with an emer. rescue.

Unions were once needed.....no longer the case.

More i cannot disagree with a statement more than this one that was made by you!

Yes the union negotiates the contract wages, medical, pension, work place rights, vacations, paid holidays but this is just a small part of what the union does.

As a steward and as someone how was on the negotiating committee the contract is only as good as its enforced.

I have seen dozens of people fired fire wrongly only to be reinstated with help from the union.

I have seen people sent home while allowing sups to work, which the union has gotten them paid for.

If the big 3 are in any way half as bad as ups on violating the contract i could see were alot of the money goes.

What is it you do at ups exactly more?

By the way how is your weekend going? You do know that the union helped to make the weekend?