Union dues before initiation fee??

Should Union dues be collected before the initiation fee??
My Union made me pay $80 before I even paid anything for my initiation fee. I thought you had to be accepted into the Union before paying dues?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Yes, you pay dues if you work. Initiation fee should come after making seniority.

FWIW, where I am, deductions for monthly dues, initiation fees, and the monthly special assessment are lumped together and only show up as "UNIONDUE".

I'm not seasonal. I've been working here for 3 months. I'm sure most of you can't remember your first few paychecks.
I remember them. 8 bucks an hour times about 22 hours a week. We had benefits after 30 days and I always had a good job to go with it. Meatcutter garbage man dock worker at a union freight company Central Transport Wonder bread driver Interstate Brands and some others. I'm glad I stayed at United Parcel Service.

By The Book

My Union made me pay $80 before I even paid anything for my initiation fee. I thought you had to be accepted into the Union before paying dues?
This is their way of accepting you! This is money well spent, when you need to have someone fight for your job you will be thankful.

Dr.Brownz

Youll just have to pay back dues if you dont pay now; you are performing union work

working up a sweat

In my local, the union gives you back 100 dollars of the 450 dollars of PT initiation fee.

To get the 100 dollars back, you have to be permanently hired and attend the monthly Sunday morning union meeting.

After attending the meeting for about 2 hours, they give you the check.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In my local, the union gives you back 100 dollars of the 450 dollars of PT initiation fee.

To get the 100 dollars back, you have to be permanently hired and attend the monthly Sunday morning union meeting.

After attending the meeting for about 2 hours, they give you the check.
I wish more locals did that.
All new employees should be brought in for this type of "orientation"... and the notion of a rebate on their initiation fee would likely get them there.

They should receive a brand new union t-shirt, lunch, a history lesson on unions and the Teamsters, information about their Weingarten rights, FMLA, and the grievance procedure.
While there, they will hopefully meet their business agent and steward.
Perhaps they could even roll out a big screen TV and some refreshments at the conclusion of the meeting, to encourage a little fellowship?
Until we get back to educating and engaging the membership, the "Me-ster" mindset will continue to prevail.

When we once again become vested in one another and educate the newly "initiated", we will begin to achieve all that is possible through collective bargaining.