Union Dues

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
As long as this is about union dues I would like to add that I hate being a steward the month after an increase in pay because a lot of people bust my chops like I get the money

Fullhouse

I am currently helping a driver right now with this problem. He was out 6 months for an off the job injury. He returned back several weeks ago and the local is doubling he dues each week till he is caught up. I suggested ththat he write a letter to the Executive Board and ask to have his back dues waived. This may work in your Local. I use to sit on our Executive Board several years ago and this was common practice. Be sure when you write the letter that you include the dates that you were out. In our Local they take in account the amount of days you worked in the month before you were injured and the amount of days you work in the month that you returned. Just get intouch with your BA for info or just call the hall. Also let them know if it was an "off" or "on" the job injury. Off the job injuries usally garner more sympather from E Boards because of the difference workmans comp and short term disability. Just my past experience.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I am currently helping a driver right now with this problem. He was out 6 months for an off the job injury. He returned back several weeks ago and the local is doubling he dues each week till he is caught up. I suggested ththat he write a letter to the Executive Board and ask to have his back dues waived. This may work in your Local. I use to sit on our Executive Board several years ago and this was common practice. Be sure when you write the letter that you include the dates that you were out. In our Local they take in account the amount of days you worked in the month before you were injured and the amount of days you work in the month that you returned. Just get intouch with your BA for info or just call the hall. Also let them know if it was an "off" or "on" the job injury. Off the job injuries usally garner more sympather from E Boards because of the difference workmans comp and short term disability. Just my past experience.

Very good advice. First things first. ALWAYS put in a withdrawal card when you get injured. If you dont, and the local doesnt know youre off work, you will rack up delinquent dues as the program "TITAN" does not know youre off work and it will continue to try and make deductions from your paycheck automatcally.

Its the employees responsibility to notify the local is you are to be off work for any long period of time.

Write a letter to the EBOARD and personally deliver it to the local. Ask that it be presented to the EBOARD at their next meeting. The EBOARD will vote on it and normally, they waived the back dues in that instance.

If you are part time, explain that the back dues will be a hardship on you and your family.

They will be waived.

Peace.

hypocrisy

Banned
Yes each Local has their own procedures for collecting arrearages and for temporary withdrawal due to injury or sickness. It was very frustrating as a Steward to have someone disappear for months at a time without any communication and then return to find a bill from the Union waiting to be paid. Stewards, nor the Union, aren't required to baby sit and it's up to the Member to contact the Hall to determine what should action should be taken. Oftentimes Unions have access to services and organizations that will help Teamster members if the work absence is a hardship on their family too.