Union dues

upschuck

To get contract book? make book? not sure what you are asking. Neither book requires any extra union dues than you are hopefully paying now.

What ever book. I started in sept. They have been taking money out my checks since jan. And some money before then. After what amount do they stop taking money out every check and switch it to once a month..

Sent using BrownCafe App

Call your local union. This site isn't a good resource for information like this. I know the site is convenient but you need to learn the locals phone number or you will just keep spinning your wheels.

upschuck

So you are talking about init fees. I would be surprised if initiation fees are not already paid. Call your local and ask. UPS takes out what the local requests. My local takes out 1/4 monthly dues for 4 weeks/month, so it doesn't take a big chunk out at the beginning of the month. That may be in your case as well.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Typically, union dues are taken out weekly to the tune of 4x/month. If you had initiation fees, they should have already been paid. If dues are being taken out of your check, then you're a member and have "made book."

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Mine was $200
They took 25 every paycheck

For the record, initiation fees being imposed on part-timers is bullsh**.

With initiation fees, a new hire's (typical) first interaction with the union is seeing their measly $150/week paycheck get plundered. That doesn't really help build solidarity out the gate.

My local waives initiation fees for newly hired PT'ers. If you're hired into a FT union gig with full benefits in a reasonable time and making over $20/hr, then sure.. $200+ in initiation fees is understandable. But $10/hr at 20 hrs a week and no bennies for a year? Charging initiation fees for that is wrong.