Union presidential debate

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Totally accurate. Lack of involvement to be sure.

What was the outcome of that strike authorization vote, for those that actually chose to vote?

Usually it is over 90 percent for the strike authorization.

I believe that in the last Teamster presidential race back in 2016 only 17 percent of our worldwide membership even bothered to turn in a ballot.

The 1997 contract was the last time we had an over 50 percent participation, that after a over two week national strike.

The vast majority of our part time members have no interest in staying and making a career out of this kind of work. Much more better paying, less time commitment and safer work out there, by 2023 the minimum wage will probably be hovering around 18 an hour for entry level American jobs.

That is why we need real leadership in the International... The negotiating committees have a lot to do with presenting a decent contract vote to their membership. Carey did not allow the “97” to be voted on till they agreed at the negotiating tables, once they shake hands it is pretty much a done deal with or without the member’s approval similar to what happened in 2018.

Karma...

Contract negotiations and outcomes are a done deal due to the low union % that vote with the ft people voting....Aside from the union presidential slate there is not much diversity at the locals...Contrast that with ups which is very diverse at all levels.....take a look and tally up the categories...........as far as union strength is concerned take a look at the people writing on this forum concerning not getting breaks and supervisors working and other contract violations.......pt union people dont see the present union as being strong or concerned with pt issues.....if I was a pt unloader again it would be a choice of personalities as to getting changes with adherence to the contract......In the northeast the choice is clear. ......vote for for change......

Satuirus2000

Too much damage was done in 2018. Once you force through a contract that the membership rejected, I dont know how you come back from that. When was the last time one could really say the union scored a win against the company with a contract? It's really embarrassing that the union has also played a zero role in increasing wages. We are at $20 bucks an hour here at Worldport and the union certainly played no part in that. They were too busy trumpeting $14 an hour as a huge win in 2018. They are too out of touch.

Too much damage was done in 2018. Once you force through a contract that the membership rejected, I dont know how you come back from that. When was the last time one could really say the union scored a win against the company with a contract? It's really embarrassing that the union has also played a zero role in increasing wages. We are at $20 bucks an hour here at Worldport and the union certainly played no part in that. They were too busy trumpeting $14 an hour as a huge win in 2018. They are too out of touch.
That was a big slap in the face when the company said looks like we're going to have to go back to the drawing board after a contract was rather done and he said nope we'll take it....

a911scanner

Usually it is over 90 percent for the strike authorization.

I believe that in the last Teamster presidential race back in 2016 only 17 percent of our worldwide membership even bothered to turn in a ballot.

The 1997 contract was the last time we had an over 50 percent participation, that after a over two week national strike.

The vast majority of our part time members have no interest in staying and making a career out of this kind of work. Much more better paying, less time commitment and safer work out there, by 2023 the minimum wage will probably be hovering around 18 an hour for entry level American jobs.

That is why we need real leadership in the International... The negotiating committees have a lot to do with presenting a decent contract vote to their membership. Carey did not allow the “97” to be voted on till they agreed at the negotiating tables, once they shake hands it is pretty much a done deal with or without the member’s approval similar to what happened in 2018.
Thanks DELACROIX. I already had an inkling of this, but I was truly hoping BUG would respond as I quoted him.

BUG has a tendency to say things that disparage members, then when questioned, goes radio silent. I know BUG has good info & advice from time to time, but sometimes feel they side with the IBT vs. the membership way too often.

Good leadership communicates their experiences, then may alter their strategy at times when the membership leans certain directions. Even if they don't necessarily agree.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Thanks DELACROIX. I already had an inkling of this, but I was truly hoping BUG would respond as I quoted him.

BUG has a tendency to say things that disparage members, then when questioned, goes radio silent. I know BUG has good info & advice from time to time, but sometimes feel they side with the IBT vs. the membership way too often.

Good leadership communicates their experiences, then may alter their strategy at times when the membership leans certain directions. Even if they don't necessarily agree.

I believe that BUG is a business agent, he has been dealing with this Union stuff for a long time...he does give good insight and advice and I always respect his opinions. At least he spends time on B/C communicating with the fellow members. I expect that in the higher echelons of the International that any website like Brown Cafe or Facebook is taboo...the past blackout over the negotiations in 2018 is a prime example of those knowing what is best for them mentality that is prevalent in our past and current leadership.

I been through enough of these elections and contracts and see the same games and political bantering, it is like we are being lied to for what they consider our best interest... “need to know”only for the negotiating committees and no accountability or real vote on their decisions.

Everybody has an axe to grind or have a pet issue with our Contracts, I have mind, but I really try to see other members issues or concerns. Changes are a coming no matter who gets into office .. Our leadership cannot continue to live in the 60’s and 70’s and do business as usual, we are in the 22nd century and members especially the younger ones are starting to get smarter and will not tolerate being talked down to. 👹

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Aside from the union presidential slate there is not much diversity at the locals

You can't force people too run for office in their Local.

No one is going to appoint unqualified or non-motivated people to fill positions, just for the sake of "diversity".

Wouldn't that be insulting.... to pander to the members.... for appearances ?

It's really embarrassing that the union has also played a zero role in increasing wages.

What ?

Maybe you should ask FZ about that. He's your local president.

That was a big slap in the face when the company said looks like we're going to have to go back to the drawing board after a contract was rather done and he said nope we'll take it....

Only because the IBT Constitution didn't allow it.

Sorry I missed your post.

BUG has a tendency to say things that disparage members, then when questioned, goes radio silent.

Sometimes, the truth hurts.

People taking :censored2: from management and then from me.... can cause hurt feelings.

That's not the intent. It is to motivate people against the machine.

I know BUG has good info & advice from time to time.

He has been dealing with this Union stuff for a long time...he does give good insight and advice and I always respect his opinions. At least he spends time on B/C communicating with the fellow members.

My whole intent and purpose on BrownCafe has been to educate, inform, and enlighten people.

Things.... you might not hear elsewhere.

-Bug-

* You might not like what I say.... but, I always tell the truth.*

:biggrin:

You can't force people too run for office in their Local.

No one is going to appoint unqualified or non-motivated people to fill positions, just for the sake of "diversity".

Wouldn't that be insulting.... to pander to the members.... for appearances ?

What ?

Maybe you should ask FZ about that. He's your local president.

Only because the IBT Constitution didn't allow it.

Sorry I missed your post.

Sometimes, the truth hurts.

People taking :censored2: from management and then from me.... can cause hurt feelings.

That's not the intent. It is to motivate people against the machine.

My whole intent and purpose on BrownCafe has been to educate, inform, and enlighten people.

Things.... you might not hear elsewhere.

-Bug-

* You might not like what I say.... but, I always tell the truth.*

:biggrin:
Well I want my turkey next contract or its a no vote for me

Big Rigger

@BigUnionGuy has seen and lived more history in this union than most posters on here. I used to take offense to his sporadic UPSer smack down but I'd have to agree he was typically right. Everyone has different experiences with union leadership from the local on up but he's at the end of the occupational cycle where many others on here are still trying to figure out what a point of order means..and it's not the drive up menu board fyi.

The smack down is to create movement in apathetic ponds of Teamsters at ups and there's a bunch.
And then there's Whatdidyoubringmetoday. The gnat that's always hovering over a garbage can.

What'dyabringmetoday???

@BigUnionGuy has seen and lived more history in this union than most posters on here. I used to take offense to his sporadic UPSer smack down but I'd have to agree he was typically right. Everyone has different experiences with union leadership from the local on up but he's at the end of the occupational cycle where many others on here are still trying to figure out what a point of order means..and it's not the drive up menu board fyi.

The smack down is to create movement in apathetic ponds of Teamsters at ups and there's a bunch.
And then there's Whatdidyoubringmetoday. The gnat that's always hovering over a garbage can.
You really hurt my feelings. Lol.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
And there it is. I was waiting for that issue to be addressed and it was never even brought up in the debate. Both sides should have to answer for that.