Union questions

JJinVA

nah not yet
I went into UPS with the same mentality. I didnt feel like I needed "job insurance" because Im a hard worker.

Unfortunately, corporations dont really give a friend--- if youre a hard worker or not. If the center manager has a nephew who needs a job, and youre in the way, guess who hes gonna be gunning for? Whats that? You didnt use three points of contact just then? Youre outta here. (Or less dramatically, have a supe watching over your shoulder for every single mistake you make and take notes of them so they can dump it all on you at once).

Some jobs dont make sense to join a union. UPS isnt one of them. Management really doesnt want a problem with the union so they tend to walk the line

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
One thing it means is you can take your dues receipt down to Burger King show it to them and they’ll give you a free whopper

You can do this once a month
Don't forget no cover charge at the gentleman's club with a union card. I am a proud union member, and have used this on one occasion during a bachelor party.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ah i get it, most of you guys on here are just a bunch of A-Holes sitting on the toilet on company time, when, (I’m guessing most of you are drivers) you should be out delivering them packages, and then go home to your Nagging wife that clearly wants a divorce in about 8 months if they already haven’t divorced you yet due to your pissy attitudes. No common courtesy for the people that are new to UPS. Thanks to the ones that helped. I’m fresh out of high school and found UPS to be a okay start to a career, considering at 14,15,16 and 17 i was working in a coal mine for my grandfather in Thomas, WV. so far, I like UPS and they do treat me fair there.
tenor (26).gif

PT gets excellent bennies, and a pension. Your lack of information is astounding. The only ppl who dont get the same bennies are the supervisors. They pay for their own healthcare etc.

Basically being in the union is SUPPOSED to translate to you having someone in your corner in the event that management gets out of line. You have representation in the company. Its like an internal attorney in a way. However, if you do your job as reasonably instructed, you shouldnt have MANY problems. Its usually the ones who arent worth a d--- who lean on the union the hardest for obvious reasons. They'd be sh--canned without them. If you feel like youre being harrassed or unfairly treated, again, reasonably, then you would go tell your union steward, not the management.
They do? Why don’t you become a PT if the insurance is so excellent. Being in a union is having your pay stolen. You will learn the union does nothing, but take your hard earned cash.

Observer

Learn everything about your local - find out when the meetings are, location of building,etc. Go to the meetings as you will find out what the problems are at your hub. Get your contract book - read through it - some union locals work hard for their members - others you are pretty much on your own. You will learn who has credibility there. Always check your paychecks by keeping track of your time. If you get hurt - report it and get medical help - as some hubs will make you wait as "just walk it off tonight" - important - Trust no one - Supervisor will probably only know the name of the BA and not much else. Look for a board that shows Union Hall Meeting dates. Supes working has ben a problem for years as also pay issues. Article 37 - Weingarten Rights learn them as they will come up a lot. Enjoy your career -there are days you are really going to hate it. However the benefits are worth in the long run. Remeber if you have barking supervisors - they are being barked from above and/or have a terrible homelife. Had a boss who barked way too much - turns out his wife ruled the roost - because father-in-law had helped them out and was not letting go of that. Just the best for Daddy's little girl. So as a consequence he came in every day with a huge chip on his shoulder.

UPSER1987

Ah i get it, most of you guys on here are just a bunch of A-Holes sitting on the toilet on company time, when, (I’m guessing most of you are drivers) you should be out delivering them packages, and then go home to your Nagging wife that clearly wants a divorce in about 8 months if they already haven’t divorced you yet due to your pissy attitudes. No common courtesy for the people that are new to UPS. Thanks to the ones that helped. I’m fresh out of high school and found UPS to be a okay start to a career, considering at 14,15,16 and 17 i was working in a coal mine for my grandfather in Thomas, WV. so far, I like UPS and they do treat me fair there.
Johnny, unfortunately, you won’t get any useful information here. Mostly old retirees that don’t know whats currently going on at UPS. Ask and look for a steward or business agent to help you.

You seem to talk about being out delivering quite often. Perhaps I'm mistaken. But either way, they should hire more people. You have your view but others can have their view as well.
I am out delivering almost everyday. Either running exception air in the AM or running a ground route because of too many call ins. Would you rather have sups run routes sitting or a dues paying Union member? I agree UPS should hire more FT drivers instead of having air drivers running ground routes. What do you want me to do about the problem?

You seem to talk about being out delivering quite often. Perhaps I'm mistaken. But either way, they should hire more people. You have your view but others can have their view as well.
Ne disrespect but I have had this discussion with Union Stewards before. They all agree with you until they have an 8 hour request and my doing their pick ups or finishing their resi's are the only way to get off early. Then they are all grateful. Your complaint is not with me but with the company and the Union.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Ne disrespect but I have had this discussion with Union Stewards before. They all agree with you until they have an 8 hour request and my doing their pick ups or finishing their resi's are the only way to get off early. Then they are all grateful. Your complaint is not with me but with the company and the Union.
Sure thing.