Union representation?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Only if he had fangs for teeth

Ha Ha, you're thinking Bela Lugosi?

Honestly, I've looked at my supe with hard, intimidating eyes before, and have been talked to about this. I now carry a basket full of Daisies into the office with me, whenever I need a talking to.:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It is the job of the steward to document any meeting over things discipline. His notes should be available for you to use. If not, then there is a serious lack of representation and your rights as a teamster were violated.

As has been mentioned, any meeting without a steward is a non meeting.

The best advice is keep to yourself. Ask to be moved somewhere else, because you feel threatened in your current position.

d

dillweed

So you're telling me that if someone looked at you, say, like this, you wouldn't feel intimidated?
2825057833_9d04aa9c5f.jpg
Allright steve, how did you get that picture of me? :happy-very:
Direct eye contact can be intimidating to some but I was raised to believe it indicates truth. When I search center manager's eyes, I see evasive, weasel-like shifting. When he opens his mouth I hear the same.

705 - another piece to the puzzle. I did finally file two grievances of sups working for the first time ever. They didn't focus just on the one helping my PIA, I nailed three in one day. After a second grievance all sups have been hands-off while within my sight. PIA isn't getting the attention she needs it seems to be my fault. The sup has been on my rear for months now regarding my speed and inability to lift up to 70# to the top belts. I've somehow remained calm throughout this but few weeks ago when he asked me why I had shut down the belts I said I can't keep up with this sht. He twisted it to I'm not taking any of your sht so I've been issued warning letter for threating not only this sup, but my PIA too. The plot thickens and I did add harassment to my warning letter grievance. Dates and names are documented.

Now that sup isn't doing her work they have found another hourlie to attend to her.

Yesterday she popped her cork because I wasn't working fast enough to help clean up her mess. A different sup heard it and invited her to the office after the sort. What a stinkin' soap opera.

As far as moving, a different center manager (how many cms does it take to run a small center?) said that if there was any more trouble one of us would be moved to preload. I asked how that would be determined and he said seniority. Couldn't hide the gleam in my eye because I spent eight years preloading and am sure she can't handle it. He change his ruling right away, sayiing we'd both be fired.

Heck, I don't care whether she works or just stands there all day, as others have said, it's not my business. What I do mind is the harassment from the one sup and her false accusations being taken as gospel.

trickpony1

Dillweed-
We have some hourly employees such as your PIA.
They come to work with a chip on their shoulder. If no one knocks the chip off in a reasonable length of time, they will create a situation where the chip falls off and any one who happens to be close, at the time, becomes the perpetrator and they, of course, are the victim.
We have one who has the entire department held hostage with her threats of "taking it to Human Resources".
Is it a coincidence that they are an ethnicity other than my own? Gosh....I don't know.
I just ignore them and, if I must, I speak to them only when absolutely necessary.
I would hope your management "team" would realize who is doing the job (dillweed) and who isn't. But then.........
Good Luck.

Reno Zepher

I have to say I agree with dillweed. Just do your job and don't worry about anybody else. Your job isn't to supervise your co-workers.

Yes. Grieve that sup for working. Go to your BA and have a talk with them about your steward. Maybe you really don't have a case here. Remember you really need to choose your words wisely. When witnessed and on paper they carry a lot of weight. Don't worry about people not liking you.

Jesus Christ came down to save the world and look what they did to him.

I am a person of color. I know it can be difficult at times with relations.

Remember you are a Teamster first. Seniority means everything.

As far as their pets they work for you. If they get away with it than so can you. UPS can't pick and choose which ones they are going to Write up. They have to write them all up. Document everything with a Day Calendar. It will be useful. Take the notes and make sure their in your favor when you write them down. Don't be stupid and try and be fair. Let them keep their own notes. If they don't then shame on them.

Also remember your shop steward doesn't represent you. They represent the contract. It's up to you to keep your job and no one else.:peaceful:

gandydancer

Unless the safety pet is a UNION-designated Alternate Steward ("...alternates so designated by the Local Union...") the second meeting must be ignored by the panel -- "When requested by...the employee, there shall be a steward present whenever the Employer meets with an employee concerning grievances or discipline or investigatory interviews. In such cases, the meeting shall not be continued until the steward or alternate steward is present."

You received a warning letter over your behavior in a meeting (date?) with your center manager and Steward, grieved it, are going to the panel (date?) and your Steward won't provide any statement to the panel?

dillweed

Oh boy Gandy, this stems, I believe, from long-lived bad feelings between a co-worker and myself. I filed grievance partially for a sup sorting for her and the rest for other sups working. Sup is working the dog**** out of me, harrassing, threatening.

Threatening behavior - Yep, center manager says my body language was threatening to him at the meeting. Rep was there and won't document anything to the contrary to take to panel. Rep never took notes but says he'll sign mine. I believe this rep is union designated but will find out, thanks!

Also, co-worker and her friend have accused me of threatening them. Big, stinkin' deal and I'm growing weary but refuse to :whiteflag:

Reno Zepher

Remember you can have the Steward of your choice. Not the one they provide you with.
Once again read your contract, Know your contract. All it can do is help you. Check with your BA. See if you have a case. If the Steward is making deals find out through the BA. You can put a stop to it, If your BA has some Balls.
Remember this also. Your Stewards are paid NOTHING!!! Their only their to help us get fair representation. Maybe you really don't have a case? Read your contract.

dillweed

Yep, I agree the possible race issue should go unspoken. It has gone beyond that. Color is only skin deep - this has become an all out obsession to them - obvious to all but overlooked by management. Not only for me, others in the building are going through the same sort hassles.

Local level hearing was held and a real sham it was. Nothing was settled.

Requested my personal file to check all the warnings re: violence and threatening behavior. Found four papers, years were 1994, 1995, 2000 and 2008, the most recent a warning that I would be terminated if mis-sorted pkgs. One for leaving preload before drivers were wrapped up, although they were on the clock and wrapping themselves up. All minor silly issues. Asked center manager if that was all he had and the reply was that there was more somewhere, he needed time to find it. ?? Haven't seen it yet. Rep took good notes this time and gave me a copy.

Still standing, still working and still remaining quiet. Thanks for the support.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yep, I agree the possible race issue should go unspoken. It has gone beyond that. Color is only skin deep - this has become an all out obsession to them - obvious to all but overlooked by management. Not only for me, others in the building are going through the same sort hassles.

Local level hearing was held and a real sham it was. Nothing was settled.

Requested my personal file to check all the warnings re: violence and threatening behavior. Found four papers, years were 1994, 1995, 2000 and 2008, the most recent a warning that I would be terminated if mis-sorted pkgs. One for leaving preload before drivers were wrapped up, although they were on the clock and wrapping themselves up. All minor silly issues. Asked center manager if that was all he had and the reply was that there was more somewhere, he needed time to find it. ?? Haven't seen it yet. Rep took good notes this time and gave me a copy.

Still standing, still working and still remaining quiet. Thanks for the support.

Thanks for the update, dill. I think it's funny how you can get upset about something, and MGMT will call, you getting upset, violence.:dissapointed: Keep up the good work, sistah!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Keep it up, Dill !!!

Eventually the magnifying glass will be over someone elses head. I'm glad you actually took some of the good advice you got here and it worked for you.

helenofcalifornia

Dill, have you ever considered becoming a shop "Stewart?". Raise some hell legally. And you don't want to drive? Far less management oversight when you are on the road.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
shouldn't things in your file from more than 9 months ago be inadmissible????

I would also argue in a meeting on record that they were unprepared to prove their case if there was "more but they had to look for it"