United Way force donations coming soon for 2011.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Well put Tie. That's what it is all about. If Johnny Union was walking around asking for these donations, people would be emptying their wallets. It's always about management with these people. It's very telling, they would rather someone in need suffer just to prove a point to management..

there is a lot of truth to socks statement.

I think we might be on to something here.
Let's continue to solicit payroll deducted contributions for United Way from hourly employees, but instead of the company taking credit, give the money to UW in the name of UPS Teamsters.
Of course management can continue to give in the name of the company while the hourlies give as Teamsters.
It could be like a contest.
Might even make for a larger overall contribution.

UPSSOCKS

Let's continue to solicit payroll deducted contributions for United Way from hourly employees, but instead of the company taking credit, give the money to UW in the name of UPS Teamsters.
Of course management can continue to give in the name of the company while the hourlies give as Teamsters.

I guarantee it would, because all of management gives and less than 10% of the teamster workforce does... I am going to talk to our UW chair about why this can't happen. I'm sure we aren't the first ones to talk about it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I guarantee it would, because all of management gives and less than 10% of the teamster workforce does... I am going to talk to our UW chair about why this can't happen. I'm sure we aren't the first ones to talk about it.

Less than 10%???
Once again though, I think you may have hit on the root cause of the issue.
We don't believe much if anything you or any member of management says.
We are always looking for the hidden agenda.
Sorry, but that's just the way it is.
My father worked at a large factory that also had a United Way campaign annually.
He sat on a committee and spent several weeks of the year soliciting his coworkers.
Perhaps this method of fund raising would be better received in our workplace dynamic of mistrust.

jimstud

Banned

all of management give because they don't have a choice. i guess that is something to be proud of forced charitable contributions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I like this idea and also think it would make for a larger overall contribution.

+1,000,000,000 This is a great idea.

tourists24

And thus comes back to my first statement about charity in general. Listen how inflamed just management on this forum alone talk about people who dont give to the charity in UPS' name. Now multiply that by every sup or mgt you know. Im sick of hearing the way anyone is talked about just because they dont want to give to the charity of "your" choice. This doesnt encourage me to take on a new charity. Im sure the United Way has many hard working people and many great affiliates, but just listen to all this. "too cheap?"..... 10%?.....I hope you need their services one day... ALL managers give,,, look how good we are and how bad the rest of you are. Disgusting

This is all too funny, because where I am, the sups are sick of the bullying just like the hourlies are. And automatic increases in the deductions piss the sups off too. Believe me it happens. I guess it kinda goes hand in hand with benefits being crap, and pay vs. work, etc. Even having stupid little breakfast's to try and promote more contributions? Paying to wear jeans to work? All of what was good about this company is going away, and we are still asked (bullied) to give more. Facts are not my strong point, but it just doesn't add up to me.

tieguy

Banned
I like this idea and also think it would make for a larger overall contribution.

For some reason my giving to eradicate nasty neuromuscular diseases does not get me worrying about who gets the credit for the donation. If the only reason you give is to give the teamsters union credit for the donation then I think you really need to look at why you're giving at all.

However I am not opposed to the teamsters union taking over the united way drive. It saves me the trouble of watching teamsters look away as they give me this years lie in defense of their cheapness.

that part I love. Will bubbles now demand the teamsters take over administering the united way drive? Or is this more hot air?

klein

Für Meno :)
Actually, anyone with a Safeway or some other major grocery stores.
They match dollar per dollar on donations.

Say, I give $100 per year (not much, I admit), but $200 goes to charity.
Not just $115 thru UPS.

And as a bonus, Safeway even gives you discount coupons for donating most of the time.

jimstud

Banned
For some reason my giving to eradicate nasty neuromuscular diseases does not get me worrying about who gets the credit for the donation. If the only reason you give is to give the teamsters union credit for the donation then I think you really need to look at why you're giving at all.

However I am not opposed to the teamsters union taking over the united way drive. It saves me the trouble of watching teamsters look away as they give me this years lie in defense of their cheapness.

that part I love. Will bubbles now demand the teamsters take over administering the united way drive? Or is this more hot air?

you are such an arrogant mutt. because someone does not give to the charity of ups' choice they are cheap. how do you know what they do in private. 10 years ago my mother was diagnosed with cancer i stopped giving to the united way and gave to dana farber, i now give 20 times what i gave to the united way and 100% of what i give goes to research not part of it all of of it. so if you want to do something good find the resaerch center that tries to cure the disease that disturbs you the most and give to them that way all the money goes to it instead part of it and the other part to some mokey overseeing the charity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not what I meant and you know it. I think having two separate UW drives would create some friendly competition and UW would be the ultimate winner as I do think more money would be raised.

BTW, I pledged what I thought was a very generous amount (1 hours wage per week) and designated 100% to our local hospice as I think they provide an invaluable service.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimstud

Banned
This is not what I meant and you know it. I think having two separate UW drives would create some friendly competition and UW would be the ultimate winner as I do think more money would be raised.

BTW, I pledged what I thought was a very generous amount (1 hours wage per week) and designated 100% to our local hospice as I think they provide an invaluable service.

if you give through the united way 100% does not go to the charity and hospice is a great charity the helped my family tmother's lifehe last month of my .

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I've never been in the position to demand anything.
Nor was I addressing any concerns of whether or not the Tieguy wanted credit for anything.
I'm pretty sure we all know where he stands on this subject.
It's this one way arrogant attitude that blinds him to an alternate solution.
I simply saw a way to approach a situation that might appease the misgivings of many that are annually turned off by overly aggressive management across the country (except where Tie is).
Somehow he thinks because he doesn't see it in his little corner of the country, that it isn't happening anywhere.
My plan shifts the attention to a competition between management and hourlies with the United Way and it's agencies being the ultimate winner.
Tieguy, UPSSocks, Pretzelman, and the rest of the management posters here are in a much better situation to "demand" what I consider to be a viable solution to flaw in our workplace culture.
We have hourly committees for safety and sales leads, why not one for the United Way drive?
It's probably that they are afraid of losing or that company will require them to beat us costing them a bigger annual contribution.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

if you give through the united way 100% does not go to the charity and hospice is a great charity the helped my family tmother's lifehe last month of my .

Good point but as Tie has pointed out many times if left to our own devices most of us would not remember to write the check once a month. I know if I didn't get a reminder that I wouldn't remember. It is simply easier for me to do it through payroll deduction.

jimstud

Banned
Good point but as Tie has pointed out many times if left to our own devices most of us would not remember to write the check once a month. I know if I didn't get a reminder that I wouldn't remember. It is simply easier for me to do it through payroll deduction.

i respect your decision the only thing i don't like is 100% of the money doesn't go to where it should be.